KiteLife Forum

Replacing end Caps on my 1.5b vent...

RobB

Hey there...

I've been flying the cr@p out of my 1.5b full vent whenever the wind's too high to fly my duallies. The kite's taken some serious abuse in the last couple of years since I got it, I hadn't flown a 4 line kite in over 5 years when I got it, so I was pretty rusty, and if you've seen my beach, it's pretty rough on endcaps. The beach is more rocks than sand...

P1080587.jpg

So, the last few times out, the caps on the LE have finally split. I've been taping them, just to get another fly out of them, but I was wondering how hard it is to replace them. I notice the bridle and bungees run through them, and don't want to just jump into this without some experienced advice.

So yeah, after flying the Rev for a couple of years, I understand the appeal, and am ready to fly four lines when the wind is less than double digits, too. I guess the obvious choice is a 1.5b standard, but should I get it with race rods or 2 wraps ? I never have to swap the 3 wraps out of my full vent, so I figure I wouldn't consider 3 wraps in a standard, and if I did, I could always steal the ones from my vent...

BTW... I wish I had a picture, I pasted my Rev to a flag pole ~30-40 feet up, THAT was pretty cool... yeah, I'm starting to get it !

• Like 2

Changing the end caps, easier than you think. It looks exactly like it is. Undo knot, pull through, change end cap, thread bungee back through sail and washer, tie up. At this point you can adjust the tension. I've worn out 2 bridles and 4 end caps on my B2, but it sees the most air and is the one that i try most new tricks out on.

A standard 1.5 is the best pair to a vented, their wind range crosses over. I think most people would suggest to get it with Black Race Rods, I would too.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Are the vertical spars on the front of the kite in this photo?

Just gotta check, because I actually had my verticals on the wrong side and sold my first Rev because of it, until I finally figured out they go on the back. :cat_shy:

I Believe you are right about the picture.

Seriously John, You sold your first Rev....

• Like 1

Typical noob mistake!! Gotta read those instructions more carefully!!! :ani_wallbash:

Changing out caps is really easy - takes minutes/side!! Undo knot on one end of bungee, pull through sail and cap, remove bridle (just larksheaded on cap), take new cap and reverse order!! Remember to save and reuse the small little washer from the bungee that prevents pulling through the sail!! :ani_victory:

1. Have fresh bungee,or at least a spare chuck around. What you thought looked ok, can turn to dust while breaking the knots loose.
2. Hemostats (Fancy needle nose tools from the Dr office) saves your sanity when your bungee is so frayed and it won't go through that tiny washer.
3. Vinyl covers for the caps? I use them on my indoor, then started using them on my parking lot Revs.
Mainly for reducing the cap to spar impact load. (I recently added a silcone puck inside the cap and spar end on the Indoor Rev).

Spar stress cracks and fabric slivers have gone away.

4. "Rods on the wrong side?" - Matter of perception, One side flies better than the other.
I fly rods on the front once in a while in light air. I like to screw with my abilty to adjust to changing conditions.
Flies different with the skin laying flat, tip to center. pressure centers shift
Put the kite back to normal configuration, I get to appreciate the quaility of workmanship all over.
Imagine, the Rev may have had the rods in front 25 years ago during R& D

Dang, that's a great catch on the picture.

Brings back memories of our first "family" trip to Long Beach in the spring of '98.
(Oh yeah, the point to this reply: I tried the rods on the both sides)
"There has to be something wrong with this kite"

We're off to find the kids (5 and 9 yrs) some thing to play with "on" the beach.
My daughter thought looking through the windows was close enough.

Here we are jumping shop to shop, the're getting cranky and don't care about the beach anymore.
Out of the corner of my eye, I caught a demo tape playing of the Revolution was off in the back of the shop.
What's this, some secret skunk works project back here? I watched, again and again.
That set the hook. At that time, I was hip deep in racing catamarans and had no idea what the world of kites was.
Next day, The shop was sending me back to the beach house with a Supersonic and the instruction tape.
VHS tape: great idea if you had a VCR at the rental house.

Looking back on it, why couldn't one person have been on the beach, (laughed first from having that same experience), then offered a hand.
I flogged at it for three days. Rods in front, rods in back, it didn't matter. I couldn't watch the instructions
(Guys like me don't use instructions until your looking for the return address, or the list for spare part numbers)
I was being driven insane by a wing and string.

A few months later, the insanity all changed when I happened to be at LB and WSIKF was full on.
That person was there to lend a ear and a hand (Penny, Elizabeth, and Jeri)

Can't wait... Indoor fun and games tomorrow (at least Saturday)

Time for my fly the flag therapy session

• Like 2

The rods are on the wrong side of the kite, this picture was from the first time I set up the kite (look how new it looks, it is almost a different color now from the water & sun). In my defense, I didn't get any instructions or video with it... You guys busted my chops about it then. I never made that mistake again...

Thank you all for the helpful hints, I thought it looked too easy and there would be something that I'd miss, like the little washer... Now, I suppose I need to order some replacements & get busy !

Notice, in a later picture, verticals on the correct side...

post-786-0-00943900-1361499858_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I keep some water valve washers that are close in ID in my bag. I lost one of those washers at a real bad time.
There are some nylon flat washers that work too.

Have fun, fly with the rods anyway you want. It's fun to feel the difference in attitude.and response.

I'm headed out to fly for a while. I going to fly both modes and I'll report back :)

• Like 2

Are you kidding, John... I am humbled by getting advice from the guy whose name is silk screened on the kite. You've always been a great sport from day one when I found this site, and you gave me tons of newbie advice. Answered all my silly questions, and in a way that was encouraging & informative. Thank you for that, and don't you feel like you created a monster ? :cat_lol:

• Like 2

Speaking of weight... the 1.5b series has optional weights ? I read that somewhere, I think. Like I said, my Rev came with no documentation, so I don't know much about it other than how to fly it (sort of). What's up with the weights ? I guess someone like me doesn't need them, because I don't do anything fancy with mine.

I'm still in awe that the great John Barresi went rods in front. That gives me such optimism about my abilities to develop as a Rev flyer. I guess I should thank the cheesy DVD instruction video with Joe and Jim Hadzicki in their finest late 80's apparel that came with my Rev II.

• Like 1

The rods are on the wrong side of the kite, this picture was from the first time I set up the kite (look how new it looks, it is almost a different color now from the water & sun). In my defense, I didn't get any instructions or video with it... You guys busted my chops about it then. I never made that mistake again...<br />Thank you all for the helpful hints, I thought it looked too easy and there would be something that I'd miss, like the little washer... Now, I suppose I need to order some replacements & get busy !<br /> <br />Notice, in a later picture, verticals on the correct side...<br />
Slightly off topic, what model of dual kite is next to the Rev? That is a strikingly good looking kite!<br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk