KiteLife Forum

What are your favorite Gliders at the moment?

John Barresi

Indoor single line gliders are booming...  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favorite indoor gliders?

• Zen Glider (Daryl Yeh / Sunny Lin)
    • Migi (Daryl Yeh / Sunny Lin)
    • iFlite (Patrick Tan)
    • Wala (Flying Wings)
    • Emong (Flying Wings)
    • Plutz (Ceewan)
    • Zero-G (Prism Kites)
    • Borelli Glider (Nelson Borelli)
    • Skate (Into The Wind)
    • Manta (Into The Wind)
    • Hybrid (Horvath)
    • Urban Ninja
    • Chiroptera (Sturdy Designs)
    • Mini-Glider (Guildworks)
    • Tetrafoil S (Guildworks)
    • Mega Plutz (Ceewan)
    • Wala XL (Flying Wings)
    • iFlite Vented (Patrick Tan)
    • iFlite 2 (Patrick Tan)
    • Pterodactyl (Karl Longbottom)

Guys, guys, (and gals too), you need someplace indoors to fly!!!! Whole other experience flying indoors, believe me!! No winds to have to fight, go anywhere you want (as space allows), just heavenly!! We have a saying on a page (Glider Geeks) on Facebook - "We don't need no stinking wind!"

I hope to try indoor one day.

I have flown on sheltered parks, But my local field has days of Nothing too.

And I mean Nothing! No wind, No Roof, No Walls... ;)

Anyway a Zero-G does not need to fight a light breeze, it goes with the Flow.

I have used Tail winds to get 30m (100') glides

That's my problem in Las Vegas, Wayne! Just try and find a place to fly indoors on my side of town - they look at you crazy when you ask to use their facilities! One manager lady told me, "You know we have the second most amount of sunny days in the world, right? What's wrong with flying kites outside?" and the rest dismiss me outright, or say they won't allow it due to insurance purposes. ??? Jerks won't even give me the chance to show them a YouTube video real quick. I've TOTALLY given up on flying indoors in North Las Vegas :( Still, I refuse to sell my Indoor Rev and I keep adding to my glider collection ;)

I hope you get indoors oneday Bro.

Still, Gliders are Sweet outdoors.

Am I right?

Check out my Zero-G Vid here:

http://kitelife.com/forum/topic/5348-zero-g-glide/

• Like 5

Well, I'm not really sure which is my favorite, but I just ordered a Zero-g, as an introductory glider kite, so I voted for that. I suppose that this topic got my interest up, so who knows....................... :cat_lol:

I suppose that it's official now, and the Zero-g, "is" my favorite glider (at the moment), simply because Fed-X just came by and dropped one off (and I don't have any other gliders). Now, let's go open that box and see if I can put that thing together. :cat_lol:

Ok, got it put together :kid_cussing:. Not so sure about this thing, but it's together, and yes, it does look great. Well, I suppose I need to wait for some wind. Oops, I guess that's what this thing is all about. NO WIND - this is crazy..........more later.........maybe ! :blue_smile:

• Like 2

Relax and let the kite do most of the work! It'll come - give it a chance!!

Maybe ! :cat_shocked:

Being new also, but having Wala and xl. The line tension and use,and movements, is tricky..from my flights so far....sometimes even the friction of the line going across the finger can be too much.
  • Like 1

It's only fair that such a poll be restricted to kites of consistent design and available to all voters. From the list my first vote is for the iFlight II, and the second for the Borelli Glider, but is it commercially available? With no restriction on choices, my stroingest vote by far would be for the Platz glider design as modified by Dick Curran. All credit goes to Dick for his changes from the standard Platz configuration. Like any glider it is best suited to a particular style of flying, but for slow, smooth amneuvering, it is fool-proof.

• Like 1

Relax and let the kite do most of the work! It'll come - give it a chance!!

Maybe ! :cat_shocked:

Being new also, but having Wala and xl. The line tension and use,and movements, is tricky..from my flights so far....sometimes even the friction of the line going across the finger can be too much.

One of the many reasons to use a wand! If you find that the line plays out too fast for you and burns the pinkies, a wand does all of that, plus gives you a mechanical advantage of several feet of extra arm length!!

• Like 1

If you're going to use it primarily indoors, I'd recommend loosening up the spine tension a bit!! Just keep as little bow in the spine as possible, (there will always be some, sail shape dictates that)! Just remove the tail cap, loosen the line tightening the sail, and replace cap! Taking the knot loose is a little work and not absolutely needed for it to glide, just improves the glide, IMHO!!Just following the instructions on how to set the spreaders will make it a 2 way kite, as is!
Thanks for the tip Wayne! I would assume the same principals work on the xl? Although ,being 2 piece spine might effect it in some way.
Thanks again for the tip Wayne! I hadn't even realized the spine tension setup yet , as both Wala and xl are new. I loosened the xl up last nite and flew for a good hour.. and made a huge difference. Of course it was outdoors :) As soon as I can condense some footage, I will put a short video up.

Some don't like the spine tension loose for outdoors, but if you find that it works - go for it!
Yes I'm learning Wayne. I like to try it all as its mentioned.. I am not book smart, I like to have the experience as my learning curve. I did like the loose spine in a steady ...very slight puff, tensioned it up a bit more otherwise.
  • Like 1

What's funny about all this - is that I don't do much outdoor gliding!! I fly my Urban Ninja on low wind days, not really tried my gliders much! So most of my posts really relate more to the indoor, over outdoor! That said, many "mods" apply to both situations!

So like I said - if it works for you - go for it!

• Like 1

No votes for the Emong? Does no one prefer this one? I have seen several good videos and eyeballing one at the local shop. Just passing time and wondering....?

Hey Scott,

I'll vote for the Emong, if it makes you feel better. Did I mention "cabin fever" & "rain"..................? When is it going to be summer. I know, I know, come on down here and enjoy the 90F+ and humidity...............sheesh!

• Like 1

All kites have their traits in their categories. Single line gliders seem to have personalities. The Zero G is like a bicycle. You are pumping then coasting. You get mesmerized by the glide & forget to tend the line. Not too experienced but will be looking for other gliders now that I've had a taste.

• Like 2

All kites have their traits in their categories. Single line gliders seem to have personalities. The Zero G is like a bicycle. You are pumping then coasting. You get mesmerized by the glide & forget to tend the line. Not too experienced but will be looking for other gliders now that I've had a taste.

The Single line glider market is exploding with new stuff at the moment.

I want to try one of the Horvath Gliders, they look sweet.

Also the iFlite and iFlite2 are on my short list. Would like to be able to fly in my lounge room :)

Hey if you like the Zero-G Glides you would like the Mega-Plutz 2013.

It is very much like the Zero-G.

A little slower on the climb, but you will easily double your glide distances, and it tracks so straight.

WA

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a good chance to fly the P3 (Plutz 3).

Very Impressed with it, minor In-Flight differences to the Zero-G.

Longer Glides on the P3, easily.

I enjoy flying the Wala and Wala XL when there is a little bit of wind.

But I Grab A Canard style (P3, Mega-Plutz 2013, Zero-G) when there is no wind.

• Like 2

I must not get it (?). I finally, finally, got my Wala into the sky today. I have tried, so many times, with very little, or no wind, and nothing, just nothing. It goes up, it see-saws back and forth, and then it's a nose dive into the ground, over, and over, and over again. Today, while I was out on the lake, flying my B2's in 12 -18 mph winds, I decided to hook the little Wala to a line, and see what happened. Immediately, it went skyward, and it just kept going up, up, and up. Up to about 400 feet, and there, it just sat, picture perfect, unattended, for hours. Again, I do not understand this glider thing. The Wala seems to be a great SLK, a bit flimsy, but still, it seems to fly well. As for Wala, "the glider", I'm just not getting that part. I'll keep trying, though............ :cat_shy: