KiteLife Forum

What are your favorite Gliders at the moment?

John Barresi

Indoor single line gliders are booming...  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favorite indoor gliders?

• Zen Glider (Daryl Yeh / Sunny Lin)
    • Migi (Daryl Yeh / Sunny Lin)
    • iFlite (Patrick Tan)
    • Wala (Flying Wings)
    • Emong (Flying Wings)
    • Plutz (Ceewan)
    • Zero-G (Prism Kites)
    • Borelli Glider (Nelson Borelli)
    • Skate (Into The Wind)
    • Manta (Into The Wind)
    • Hybrid (Horvath)
    • Urban Ninja
    • Chiroptera (Sturdy Designs)
    • Mini-Glider (Guildworks)
    • Tetrafoil S (Guildworks)
    • Mega Plutz (Ceewan)
    • Wala XL (Flying Wings)
    • iFlite Vented (Patrick Tan)
    • iFlite 2 (Patrick Tan)
    • Pterodactyl (Karl Longbottom)

Its a constant battle with line length..giving....taking...manipultaing line tension in the finest ways to achieve what you are looking for...

Play with the spine tension too.. as Mr. Dowler suggested for indoors,loosen it up...or whatever tickles your fancy at the time. I run mine semi-loose pretty regularly.

I love both of mine..and the XL is quickly becoming the "goto" kite daily..in the street,while the wife shops,traffic was bad,etc...

• Like 1

When I first got the Wala in a package deal with five other kites I did not know what to make of it. I did a little sewing repair to it & put it away. Watched a few videos of flying & one on assembly. One day I was on top of a mountain ridge in a small clearing & tried several kites, first a Zephyr, next a HQ Shadow & then the little 4D. The wind kept dropping & finally changed to sporadic puffs. Got out the Wala & set it up for light wind. Up in a puff of wind, darting left then right & then back on the ground. Started running around to keep in a good position & that helped. Started tugging at the proper time to get it to head off in a new direction & as long as I didn't mess up by diving down I was getting it to stay in the sky. I then kept trying because could not fly anything else & I needed my kite fix. I learned how to take off from belly down & it was on. Next time was in a bigger area with a bit of wind. I tried the back flip after reading a description. Now that is a real trick. A couple times I put it up as a SLK while I flew sport kites. It is a really cool kite. Another of my newbie opinions.....

post-7709-0-09527900-1368667401_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Ok Personal Opinion to Follow.

I view the Wala and Wala Xl as "Zero Wind" kites.

The Zero-G is what I view as a "Glider"

I find the Wala to be a lot of fun, It can be for you too Reef Runner.

Do you know anyone near by that flys a wala?

I start with the Wala on its belly, nose towards me, with about 5-10m of line out.

Pull steady to launch and gain height.

When it is high, (above your head is best) try to tug/flick the line to make the Wala turn.

Now Importantly - Dont release all the tension on the line - If you do the kite may se-saw.

Keep light tension on the line to make the kite glide in an arc and face you again.

Now pull the line in again to gain height.

I hope you keep up with it, The Wala can be hard to learn on, but is heaps of fun.

• Like 3

Nick, try flying with a wand. It makes the glider experience much more enjoyable. Some might call it cheating, but I think gliding without a wand totally sucks. It did for me, at least. I hooked a wand to my Plutz-3, and all of a sudden I could get it to fly !

• Like 1

I don't know anybody near by, that flies anything, much less, a Wala ! Actually, it's pretty unusual for me to fly, here at home, anyway. 95% of my flying, is done during our weeks at the coast, during the summer. On occassion, I do slip out to one of the State Parks, here on the lake, which I did today, just because it was such a beautiful day. Winds were blowing pretty good, 12-18 mph, and I knew that the small Wala was rated up to 20, so, up it went. Time for it to get a little air time..........

I do appreciate all the suggestions, and I intend on giving it another try, although, the "glider thing", really isn't my favorite thing...........

I don't know anybody near by, that flies anything, much less, a Wala ! Actually, it's pretty unusual for me to fly, here at home, anyway. 95% of my flying, is done during our weeks at the coast, during the summer. On occassion, I do slip out to one of the State Parks, here on the lake, which I did today, just because it was such a beautiful day. Winds were blowing pretty good, 12-18 mph, and I knew that the small Wala was rated up to 20, so, up it went. Time for it to get a little air time..........

I do appreciate all the suggestions, and I intend on giving it another try, although, the "glider thing", really isn't my favorite thing...........

Thats a shame, always easiest to learn from someone in person.

I never truely understood the whole Rev Quad thing untill SparkieRob gave me the confidence to actually do it.

Now I really enjoy Quad.

I learned everything off the web (tons of reading) with trial and error...error..error :)

There are loads of good videos on youtube with the pilot and kite visible for the Wala and several other kites..Iflite,Emong,etc...

I would agree that the Wala is not the best "glider" in the bunch..... but its abilities as an all around kite in both no wind and high wind , for the price...its quite fun and Very durable... although with each nose dive watch the wing tip ends for repair.

I also found throw launches easier and better for the kite...as the belly (spine) doesn't like abrasive rubbing for too long before holes will appear.

I want them all.... my golf game is lacking with only 1 club :)

• Like 2

Great to have something to fly when there is no wind eh Rob?

Yes plenty of great Vids out there.

I like the Wala for its trick-ability, Backflips, stalls and spins.

I can do those on the Wala but not the Zero-G

I have not found grass to be a problem to the Wala.

Belly launch is better for beginners IMHO.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the video Wayne, I was going to ask how long of a wand ... By the way is it your video of flying under the bridges on the Willamette, in Portland? I think it was on a power boat?

Truly, enjoyable...

The boat video is John's!!!

My wands are anywhere from 4' to about 30"! I even use one only 16" long!! I have several, as no one wand seems to work with every kite! Weight of kite, weight of line, flex of wand, they all play into the wand of choice for any kite!! I use them to manage my line, had a stroke, so eyesight is just OK! I also like a "thru blank style" as they don't snag up during demos or comps, like fishing rods can! :ani_victory:

Line management, Interesting, I too have had a heart condition, and my eye sight had been effected, I'll have to try that. I can feel real spastic when I can't control my line, let alone see it...but I manage just the same... Thanks Wayne :ani_victory: As far as John's video, it seemed to open up my awareness of new flight locations... :ani_idea::Thanks John.. .

• Like 2

Line management, Interesting, I too have had a heart condition, and my eye sight had been effected, I'll have to try that. I can feel real spastic when I can't control my line, let alone see it...but I manage just the same... Thanks Wayne :ani_victory: As far as John's video, it seemed to open up my awareness of new flight locations... :ani_idea::Thanks John.. .

You gonna make it up to WSIKF? If you do, look me up on the Rev field!! I wear a bright Blue hat, pretty easy to pick out in the sea of tan and khaki and pale green hats out there! And goggles to protect my eyes from sand!

I may look like an alien, but fly like something from this earth! :ani_wallbash:

I'll also be at the indoor on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday nights!