KiteLife Forum

What are your favorite Gliders at the moment?

John Barresi

Indoor single line gliders are booming...  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favorite indoor gliders?

• Zen Glider (Daryl Yeh / Sunny Lin)
    • Migi (Daryl Yeh / Sunny Lin)
    • iFlite (Patrick Tan)
    • Wala (Flying Wings)
    • Emong (Flying Wings)
    • Plutz (Ceewan)
    • Zero-G (Prism Kites)
    • Borelli Glider (Nelson Borelli)
    • Skate (Into The Wind)
    • Manta (Into The Wind)
    • Hybrid (Horvath)
    • Urban Ninja
    • Chiroptera (Sturdy Designs)
    • Mini-Glider (Guildworks)
    • Tetrafoil S (Guildworks)
    • Mega Plutz (Ceewan)
    • Wala XL (Flying Wings)
    • iFlite Vented (Patrick Tan)
    • iFlite 2 (Patrick Tan)
    • Pterodactyl (Karl Longbottom)

My favorite glider kite is the Horvath Hybride 250 , I also have the 200 and 130. I've had plutzes, wala, skate, manta but the hybrides are the ones I fly most. I also like using a wand made out of 2 two wrap rev rods with a home made eye on the end from a piece of wire clothes hanger using 85 ft. Of 90# line. :)

My $0.02 worth -

Never have used my indoor gliders outside, other than my iFlite once or twice! I do have a good sized indoor soccer field to use regularly! I have a very nice Urban Ninja that I fly outdoors in really low winds that have my Revs grounded!

There's no particular shape that IDs a kite specifically as a "glider", look at all the shapes being used for them!! I myself have 1 Plutz 2, 1 Mega-Plutz, 2 iFlite I, 1 iFlite II, a Frigate (similar to a Skate), a workshop trash bag kite (delta shaped), an indoor dualie, and an indoor Rev!! Lots of variety out there to try!!

That said - a lot of the gliders readily lend themselves to outdoor flying - it's more what you are comfortable doing, considering conditions, field quality, etc.! Personally - I'd hate to get my indoor stuff dirty!! I know - laugh, it's OK, but I do have a variety to fly!!

• Like 3

If I'm outdoors, I'm on a Rev (STD or Indoor) with short lines. :)

With that, what determines a glider? Construction, intended purpose or conditions flown in?

In theory, I believe the definition of a glider is, well, gliding... With a release or a toss, can the kite glide?

Gliding is the principle that allows the reeling in and out which is so useful for indoor and urban flying, as opposed to *always moving your body*. :)

$.0114 worth. :)

• Like 4

Well John, I am sorry to say that I am not up to running circles in the park.

I used to do it with 2 line UL and SUL - Prism 3D, 4D, Zephyr, Flying Wings Airwave Zero SUL.

I dont get any fun out of the run around anymore.

Hi Rob,

A Glider should Glide, sounds like a definition to me.

Hi Wayne, I understand about keeping your Indoor stuff clean

Is your Urban Ninja a bought one or did you make it yourself?

Awesome that you have an indoor field, I have yet to look for one, but I am considering it

WA - had it made for me!! My vision keeps me well away from the sewing machine!! :ani_giveup:

If you look for places - look for sports centers, community centers, churches with gyms, etc.! I'm not sure what your school situation is, ours here is terrible with janitor fees, utilities, etc.! But if you can get in one, they are nice! :ani_victory:

I got into the local community center's basketball gym... $10 per hour during the week, as long as it's not already booked. :)

No seating space, but a full court is better than a stick in the eye!

That's a pretty good deal.

I have yet to make any inquiries. I will look into it when the rains start.

WA - had it made for me!! My vision keeps me well away from the sewing machine!! :ani_giveup:

If you look for places - look for sports centers, community centers, churches with gyms, etc.! I'm not sure what your school situation is, ours here is terrible with janitor fees, utilities, etc.! But if you can get in one, they are nice! :ani_victory:

Fair enough Mate. I have made a few basic SLK's but nothing like an Urban Ninja.

Thanks for the Advice.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I bought the Wala when I bought "another kite" mentioned in another thread :) to fly indoors with my sons cub scouts, brought it once and thought its life was going to be very short lived, so I never got it in the air,, I brought it with me on several outdoor excursions and after my last flying but have been a bit gun shy about letting it loose, May try and fly it today after the gardening chores are done

I bought the Wala when I bought "another kite" mentioned in another thread :) to fly indoors with my sons cub scouts, brought it once and thought its life was going to be very short lived, so I never got it in the air,, I brought it with me on several outdoor excursions and after my last flying but have been a bit gun shy about letting it loose, May try and fly it today after the gardening chores are done
let it fly! Since getting my Wala, it has seen high wind and no wind. Hit the ground nose first from full line length. Very durable and fun all around kite.
  • Like 1

If you're going to use it primarily indoors, I'd recommend loosening up the spine tension a bit!! Just keep as little bow in the spine as possible, (there will always be some, sail shape dictates that)! Just remove the tail cap, loosen the line tightening the sail, and replace cap! Taking the knot loose is a little work and not absolutely needed for it to glide, just improves the glide, IMHO!!

Just following the instructions on how to set the spreaders will make it a 2 way kite, as is!

• Like 3

If you're going to use it primarily indoors, I'd recommend loosening up the spine tension a bit!! Just keep as little bow in the spine as possible, (there will always be some, sail shape dictates that)! Just remove the tail cap, loosen the line tightening the sail, and replace cap! Taking the knot loose is a little work and not absolutely needed for it to glide, just improves the glide, IMHO!!

Just following the instructions on how to set the spreaders will make it a 2 way kite, as is!

Thanks for the tip Wayne! I would assume the same principals work on the xl? Although ,being 2 piece spine might effect it in some way.

I recently got a Plutz 3, and it flies terribly if there's the slightest hint of wind. Is the P3 a zero-wind only glider ? Or are there adjustments that can be made ? It came with no instructions...

Rob - I've only seen the P-3 once up close and only remember an adjustable tow point! The P-3 was a compromise design - P-1 was a great climber, P-2 was a great glider, the P-3 was supposed to get the best of both in one kite! I've never had my P-2 outdoors, so I can't say much about the flying characteristics! I only use my gliders for indoors!! Sorry!

PS: My Mega-Plutz is based on the P-3 design and it is a very nice indoor flyer!! But it has some adjustments to customize it to your style!! Again, it's never been outdoors!!

• Like 1

I recently got a Plutz 3, and it flies terribly if there's the slightest hint of wind. Is the P3 a zero-wind only glider ? Or are there adjustments that can be made ? It came with no instructions...

The P3 will catch wind easily, but still should be very easy to maneuver.

What problems did you experience?

Rob - I've only seen the P-3 once up close and only remember an adjustable tow point! The P-3 was a compromise design - P-1 was a great climber, P-2 was a great glider, the P-3 was supposed to get the best of both in one kite! I've never had my P-2 outdoors, so I can't say much about the flying characteristics! I only use my gliders for indoors!! Sorry!

PS: My Mega-Plutz is based on the P-3 design and it is a very nice indoor flyer!! But it has some adjustments to customize it to your style!! Again, it's never been outdoors!!

I have a Mega-Plutz, never flown indoors.

Outdoors it is very sweet, awesome glides and turns predictably.

It works well on a long line too.

Well, I'm not really sure which is my favorite, but I just ordered a Zero-g, as an introductory glider kite, so I voted for that. I suppose that this topic got my interest up, so who knows....................... :cat_lol:

Zero-G is great, sweet glides and super easy to control. Let us know how you go with it.

WA

Guys, guys, (and gals too), you need someplace indoors to fly!!!! Whole other experience flying indoors, believe me!! No winds to have to fight, go anywhere you want (as space allows), just heavenly!! We have a saying on a page (Glider Geeks) on Facebook - "We don't need no stinking wind!"

That's my problem in Las Vegas, Wayne! Just try and find a place to fly indoors on my side of town - they look at you crazy when you ask to use their facilities! One manager lady told me, "You know we have the second most amount of sunny days in the world, right? What's wrong with flying kites outside?" and the rest dismiss me outright, or say they won't allow it due to insurance purposes. ??? Jerks won't even give me the chance to show them a YouTube video real quick. I've TOTALLY given up on flying indoors in North Las Vegas :( Still, I refuse to sell my Indoor Rev and I keep adding to my glider collection ;)

• Like 1