KiteLife Forum

First flight

Joespickles

Just flew my e3 for the first time yesterday, :(. Kite flew great I did not.. Wind was poor. I forgot everything I had watched and or read. It was almost ok to watch the kite fall out of the sky doing all kinds of tricks by itself after I had lost all control, tens of feet of slack the line :) Listneing to all the feed back is helpful. So please keep it coming

g

Day two. Poor wind again. But it was still a lot of fun. The deltas where flying great with 300+ feet of line out. The kids had a blast with Them. The e3 flew great. Trying to learn the 1/2 axle. Realized I forgot a part of the kite that I swore I would not forget today. Forgot to add the weight. I have to imagine it is going to something. In the bag all day save and sound. Got a friend airborne who has had a dual line for ten yrs with no airtime. So overall still a great day

• Like 1

The E3 isn't the easiest kite to fly. You need at least 6-8mph of wind, and once the wind goes over 15mph, put it away before it breaks. Mine broke in mid-air in ~15mph of wind, don't believe the 20+mph rating that Prism puts on it. You don't need the weight, by the way... but it does help when you are tricking.

My E3...

P1080473.jpg

• Like 1

I could feel the difference when the wind gusted. The kite has a sweet spot it likes. I have never stunted a kite before.. Compared to all other dual line kites(much smaller) it handles much slower. I adjusted the spars (?) and bridle for light wind so maybe that was part of the diff. When the kite started to stunt, I am sure I was not quick enough to respond,, the kite started to flip, I sat in awe, the kite crashed. Besides not knowing how to respond the kite crashed.. It stinks I won't have any flying time until next weekend, being Easter not sure the mrs is going to let me out. I will at minimum have a week or two to think about it. Still happy about looking up, got wind/sunburned ,flying kites with kids, Still most excellent day

• Like 1

So as a side note,, most winds around here stink now that I think of it,, I need a ul or a sul. I can't believe I am already looking for another stunt kite,Mrs g is going to k#}l me .

PS she does understand, not wiilingly, There is a need

As another side note father dear is breaking out the kites in Ireland. Spreading the news of National kit month, no one said which nation

• Like 1

The best inexpensive SUL I can think of is the SkyBurner NikNak. It was my first light wind kite, totally by accident. It can be flown in zero wind on short lines, or it will fly on 50'+ lines in 1-2mph. It can't do as many tricks as a modern trick kite, but the biggest trick is to be able to fly at all in conditions like that.

BTW... it's staying light until 7pm now. Put your kites in your car & make a half hour stop on the way home from work. Does wonders for your calm... :cat_shocked:

• Like 4

The best inexpensive SUL I can think of is the SkyBurner NikNak. It was my first light wind kite, totally by accident. It can be flown in zero wind on short lines, or it will fly on 50'+ lines in 1-2mph. It can't do as many tricks as a modern trick kite, but the biggest trick is to be able to fly at all in conditions like that.

BTW... it's staying light until 7pm now. Put your kites in your car & make a half hour stop on the way home from work. Does wonders for your calm... :cat_shocked:

Nothing like a little "kite therapy" at the end of the day!

• Like 3

Thanks everyone. Listen to the local Yonkers news. Ther is going to be some slow singing and flower bringing around here. My wife is going to kill me. I swore to her that this hobby is not going to be like the others. I tend to go in deep. I have had two main kites I have had /flown since pre 1996. When I try and explain a ul/sul for those off days, ugh, but i will stress free thanks for driving home tip. The kite will be the smallest thing in my car... Stay tuned

Thanks everyone. Listen to the local Yonkers news. Ther is going to be some slow singing and flower bringing around here. My wife is going to kill me. I swore to her that this hobby is not going to be like the others. I tend to go in deep. I have had two main kites I have had /flown since pre 1996. When I try and explain a ul/sul for those off days, ugh, but i will stress free thanks for driving home tip. The kite will be the smallest thing in my car... Stay tuned

Two words.....matching sails.

• Like 1

Like these ? :cat_lol:

StandardLightStandard.jpg

• Like 3

Like these ? :cat_lol:

Very nice! Which one is which?

The standard is on the left, standard light on the right.

This 'matching sails' thing only works as long as your wife doesn't see them both together at the same time... if she does... you're twice as crazy in her mind !

• Like 1