KiteLife Forum

Broken E3

Joespickles

So today took the e3 out to do some flying. I should have put the kite away, the wind got real gusty, trying to learn my 1/2 axles. I crashed really hard, Busted up one leading edge top middle and bottom.. So the question is ,, should I get/attempt to get the pieces and is it easy to fix. My only question is what is the inside like where all the lines go(to keep the tension). Or should I send it in for repair

:(

Thanks

g

So today took the e3 out to do some flying. I should have put the kite away, the wind got real gusty, trying to learn my 1/2 axles. I crashed really hard, Busted up one leading edge top middle and bottom.. So the question is ,, should I get/attempt to get the pieces and is it easy to fix. My only question is what is the inside like where all the lines go(to keep the tension). Or should I send it in for repair

:(

Thanks

g

It's an easy fix. Just pull out all the broken stuff, and go to your local kite store, and get some replacement rods, probably Skyshark, or maybe something by Prism. For sure, you can order the busted parts from Prism, and you'll learn a lot, by doing it yourself. Believe me, these kites ARE NOT, rocket science............(well kinda), so if you can put it together out of the package, you can fix it. There's no magic, just carbon rods, connectors, & maybe some glue............ :ani_victory:

• Like 3

A local kite shop... :thumbdown: Not in New York !

Another vote for fixing it yourself, though. Of course, fixing the leading edges would be the most difficult fix there is. That has been my big complaint with the E3, it seems to be Prism's weakest kite as far as it's ability to take a beating. In it's stock form, I would put it away once the wind got to 15mph. I replaced the frame in mine with the frame from an unused QPro. It's much stiffer and feels like it could really take a beating, now.

SOrry to hear about your break, but fixing is part of flying !

• Like 1

Thanks RR, I have no local kite shop. But sent an email to the kite shop I use,, Thanks g

Yeah, same here (no local shops). I have to get everything on-line, but never had a problem. I keep extra Skyshark rods around, just for this kind of thing. Again, it shouldn't be a difficult repair, assuming there are no tears in the sail. Now that would be an entirely different story. :ani_giveup:

Of course, fixing the leading edges would be the most difficult fix there is.

Rob, do you mean difficult, in that the leading edge is the part that is inside of a sleeve, and not readily visible, or is there something special, that makes the E3 leading edge different from any other dualie (or Prism) ? Just curious, as I've repaired several other Prisms, for myself, as well as for friends, however, I've never messed with an E3. I realize, that sometimes it can be a challenge, figuring out how to completely remove the leading edge, but if you have to take it down, and put it together, each time you fly, I would think that it shouldn't be too tough, to figure out how to get it completely out of the kite, in order to access and repair the damage.

Either way, hope I didn't give "g" bad advice. I'm just a big fan of fixing it yourself, and as you say, fixing is part of flying, plus you really do learn a lot, when you do ! :bye1:

No, there's nothing special to the E3. It's just that you have to remove the clips, the APA fittings (which is a pain without the tool), and the bridle. It's not rocket science, as you say, you always have the other side to look at as a model to put it back together. You gave the perfect advice, as well as keeping spare parts around in the future. I have 2 mailing tubes of different sized spars, and a tackle box full of small parts...

RepairKit.jpg

• Like 1

Yep, I had an E2, sometime back, and it seems I was always repairing the leading edge. Several times, those broken rods occurred in mid air, with no impact or crash involved (prior to the "snap", that is), just an unplanned landing. I would have hoped that the E3 would have evolved past that problem, but maybe not (?). They are both beautiful kites, indeed, but possibly could use a bit tougher frame. I learned (self-taught) to fly dual line kites back in 2001, with a brand new Prism "Fanatic", and knowing absolutely nothing about flying multi-line kites, you can only imagine the crashes that kite endured, yet I never broke anything, and that Fanatic is as tough today, as ever. :cat_shy:

Well advise has been taken, part,part and more spares have been ordered. So what is an/the apa and what is this tool. The part I am most concerned with is the lines inside the leading edge . Are they attached to to sail or my poor smashed pieces? Thanks for all the help. Please keep watching, I will be begging for help once the parts show up

g

The APA tool just makes it easier to slide the fittings along the leading edge spars. The lines are attached to the spars, just look at the side that's not broken as a model. Hopefully both sides aren't broken, but if they are, I can post pictures of mine so you can see what goes where.

As far as the E2 & E3 being a weak design, well, they aren't high wind kites. Prism rates them at 20mph+, but I wouldn never fly either in winds over 15mph, tops. My E2 is only flown in gentle, clean 5-10mph winds, and my E3 can take quite a bit of wind since I switched the stock frame out for a QPro frame. I will say that most leading edge failures can be blamed on the ferule that joins the upper and lower leading edges either slipping, or not being fully joined. It is something to pay careful attention to when assembling the kite from the fully folded position. One of the reasons I never fold my kites down to their short form, I always leave the LEs assembled.

I'm going to have to dig my E3 out and give it a fly, it's been over 2 years since it's seen the light of day.

• Like 1

I will say that most leading edge failures can be blamed on the ferule that joins the upper and lower leading edges either slipping, or not being fully joined. It is something to pay careful attention to when assembling the kite from the fully folded position. One of the reasons I never fold my kites down to their short form, I always leave the LEs assembled.

Rob - Funny that you mentioned that. Back when I was flying, "only" dual line kites, I would not even purchase a kite, that didn't have a full length case. I simply did not like having to break down that leading edge, every time I packed up the kite, and then having to put it back together the next time I wanted to fly, and of course, the more important issues, that you mentioned. I probably missed a lot of good kites back in those days, but if I saw a short case, it was simply off of my list!

Dig that kite out,,, weak or not, this one was all me :( I will have spare parts

Hey Joespickles - Looks like Rob fixed you up with those pictures. You really shouldn't have any problems making the repair now. And while you are waiting for the new rods to arrive (which should be the only broken parts), take that other leading edge out, and get familiar with the different parts, and how they go together. It may be a little tedious, but again, it's not "rocket science". When you go to make-up the replacement LE, you may even want to have the good one, out on the workbench, so you can compare the two, match them, and make certain that both are the exact same length, and that everything is spaced the same. You've got a picture now, showing just how and where your flight lines are attached to the leading edge, so you should be set.

Oh, and by-the-way, that little plastic piece, just below where the line is attached (in Rob's top picture), is called a "doo-hickey". Just wanted to make sure that you are picking-up, on all the proper terminology. Oh, and they are usually glued in place..............

Good luck, and don't worry, there are plenty of people on here that can help you out, should you run into a problem.......

Just ask :sign_please:

So here is good news bad news, I took the kite apart, it seems I have already have some spare parts here,,my carbon arrows are almost the same diameter , so I have lots of knocks, even different colors,some with aluminum inserts. The bad news is the kite does have a tear in the leading edge I hadn't noticed. . So how bad is the tear

post-7646-0-70086100-1364906814_thumb.jp

post-7646-0-59779800-1364906828_thumb.jp

post-7646-0-45354200-1364906858_thumb.jp

post-7646-0-92034200-1364906878_thumb.jp

post-7646-0-48295800-1364906896_thumb.jp

So here is good news bad news, I took the kite apart, it seems I have already have some spare parts here,,my carbon arrows are almost the same diameter , so I have lots of knocks, even different colors,some with aluminum inserts. The bad news is the kite does have a tear in the leading edge I hadn't noticed. . So how bad is the tear
Thanks to everyone in advance,,

First of all, I would suggest forgetting the arrows and parts. Almost the same size, is NOT good.

As for the tear, that's the part that I was worried about. You must have taken a terrible hit, to have so many breaks ! As for that tear, of course, you can still put the kite back together and fly it, even with the tear (at least it's not out in the sail). Now as for the aesthetics, you may or may not want to get the sleeve repaired, depending on ($$$). Either way, getting that tear fixed, is going to take a kite shop, or a trip back to Prism, if you want it repaired back to it's original splendor. That leading edge sleeve, is going to need to be removed and replaced, or patched, and unless you are an accomplished seamstress, I wouldn't attempt it. Tape is an option, once you get it all put back together, but personally, I would rather have the hole, than the sticky from the tape, on my kite !

Rob may have some other suggestions ?

I see that your frame is SkyShark P200. That's a common rod, so that's good. Everyone keeps spare SkyShark around..........

Now, after looking at your pictures, again, is there just one tear, or are there two separate tears ?

I can't tell from the photos, if I'm looking at the same hole, or two different holes....

Same hole/tear, the archery parts would be the knocks, they indentical, the kite one even has the indicator for cock feather.

Ok, if the size is the same, no problem. I don't have any experience with the arrows, however, I do know that there was a time, when a lot of the rejects from the arrow industry (rods), went to the kite industry. I'm sure they are all made, basically the same, and by some of the same people.

Glad it's only one hole in the leading edge sleeve, but still, the prognosis is the same. Just leave it, fly it, and try not to worry too much about it, or have it repaired (preferably by Prism). If it starts to fray around the tear, you can always, "with extreme care", use some heat (match, lighter, or soldering iron) to seal the edges of the hole. Just don't get near the actual sail. I would use a soldering iron, if you have access, to prevent having an open flame near the sail. Just be careful, and you'll be alright.......... :ani_victory:

• Like 1

Cool thanks, I was wondering about sealing the hole, I have all sorts of things I could heat it with, with no open flames, But I think I like the idea to leave it alone for now, I am going to mic out a couple of arrows ,just for my own curiosity the I'd and od and wall thickness. I swear I have arrows that are identical Again thanks for everyone's input and guidance , New shafts ordered last night, hopefully they hit the mail today, Well now the beating begins, off to work

If your hole frays a bit, then any of the sealing ideas will keep that in check!! Most of us Rev fliers use some sort of sealing idea on our LE pockets, which fray over time at the ends! Just as long as you keep the actual sail and any other small bits, bridle, fittings, etc, carefully out of harms way, you can use which ever idea works best for you!!

If your hole frays a bit, then any of the sealing ideas will keep that in check!! Most of us Rev fliers use some sort of sealing idea on our LE pockets, which fray over time at the ends! Just as long as you keep the actual sail and any other small bits, bridle, fittings, etc, carefully out of harms way, you can use which ever idea works best for you!!

Just no blow torches ! Been there, done that, don't want to do it again ! :ani_wallbash: :ani_wallbash: :ani_wallbash:

• Like 1

Wow ! What a wreck ! You should be proud. I would just put a nice, neat tape patch over the hole once the rods are back in. A high quality fabric tape. You're going to beat this kite up if you're learning to fly, and especially if you want to learn tricks. You can easily tell my favorite kites, they're the most beat up. If you do try the arrow shafts, you need to use arrow shafts for both of your leading edges, don't mix & match, the kite won't be balanced. If it's even just a few grams off, it will mess up the balance. I'm going to guess the arrow shafts are heavier, but I wouldn't hesitate to experiment. I totally replaced the frame in my E3. Lots of purists cry foul, but I've modified my cars, my bikes, pretty much everything I've ever been into. Why not the kites ?

Take careful notes, or pictures of your own before you take apart the good side. Take special note of the order of the APA connectors, bridle attachment points, do-hickies, etc. My kite is 4 years older than yours, and maybe different.

~Rob.

• Like 1

Howdy everyone, I received confirmation parts are shipped, incl the doohickey, Yes Rob it was quite spectacular , proud ??? I have had prouder moments :)

As a side note, if the parts arrive and I repair kite,, taking Sean to citi field on Sunday ,any flying areas that you know that are close, Worse case get some single lines up