KiteLife Forum

The Insanity Grows...

RobB

Since the kite that I had chosen to be my 'kite of the year' (I am trying to only buy one kite per year) has been delayed in production, I couldn't stand it any longer and bought my second choice... a Rev that I can fly in single digit wind. I was going to buy a 1.5b to match my vent, but found this instead...

BerkRev.jpg

It's a 1.5 SLE with 2 wrap spars. I all ready have 3 wrap and 4 wrap, and was told I can use the 1.5b spars in the SLE. I also bought a shorter lineset to match my beach & flying preference. What should I know about the SLE vs. the 1.5b ? I was told they're pretty much the same, and I won't know the difference. I was interested in Black Race Rods... are they worth the investment ?

Can't wait to try it out... should be here next week.

One more Q... Handles. I have the basic ones, and I have snagged the 'hogrings' a few times. Easy to get out of, but disturbing. What is my best handle upgrade ? If I'm going to do this Rev thing, I want to get equipped with the right stuff !

~Rob.

• Like 4

Aha, a Highline Kites / Berkeley Kite Festival special... Fabric is from Ken Conrad, I believe.

Not a common skin, specially made for Highline - you're not likely to run into another one on the field, except on a very blue moon.

==

All 1.5 frames (SLE, B-Series, EXP) are interchangeable, same length spars all around.

Difference between SLE and B for you at this point, is negligible - IF you have the 1/4" spars, not the thicker SLEs.

I'd say a properly tuned SLE with 3 wrap leading edge is 85%-90% of a B's overall performance with the same frame.

That being said, the B-PRO is perfectly sewn by a master kitemaker, comes in totally custom colors, and uses PC-31 Icarex instead of the regular stuff... It's a bit more, sure, but really worth it if you're likely to keep at it for a while. :)

==

2 wraps are spongier, if you're not crashing at terminal velocity, go right for the black race rods, for sure - we don't use 2 wraps any longer.

==

A better kite is worth more than better handles, far and away.

However, the "snagless" PRO handles from Rev are pretty sweet and look super cool. :)

• Like 1

Yup, I've bought a number of dual line rainbow Berks from Tom @ Highline. He offered this to me when it came out 5 years ago, but I wasn't really into flying four lines, then. I was happy & surprised that he still had it.

I know the 1.5b Pro is in my future, but just can't get the colorizer to come up with something that I like.

• Like 1

Other than a different flex rate, are black race rods more resistant to breaking ? Lighter ? Look cooler ? I need a good reason to make the investment...

Is there a big difference in weight between 2 wrap and 3 wrap ? Do I switch to the 2 wrap on only the lightest wind days ? I'm used to my duallies, and on those I fly 3pt spreaders in all but the lightest wind days, and switch to 2pt spreaders when the wind goes very low. I've actually broken 2pt spreaders just giving inputs for tricks. Is there a correlation between 2pt Skyshark spars & 2 wrap Rev spars ? Do you fly 3 wrap in all winds except below, say, 5mph ?

I have to say, I'm excited to think of how small my kite bag can be now. I usually carry a full roll-up bag in my car, and it gets in the way sometimes. Now I can keep just a small bag with 2 Revs & my Plutz, and be ready for any wind !

Rob, you might find these links interesting...............

Ref:

Rod weights http://kitelife.com/forum/topic/4220-revolution-15-frame-weights/#entry27787

and, until you make up your mind on some new handles, these will do nicely, and you might just find them completely adequate..........

No-snag handles http://www.revkites.com/forum/topic/3413-home-made-handles/page-2#entry62434

• Like 1

There's some weight differences as you add wraps to the rods! Nothing super major and you should see pretty much the same flex in any "wrapped" rod, whether 2, 3, 4! The black race has the weight of 2 wrap, but the strength of 3 wrap and a different flex characteristic altogether! They are not anymore resistant to breakage than any of the others, not their purpose, the flex thing is what sets them apart! Look cooler - can you see through the LE pocket? SLE rods - put them away in the closet!! Or use them to spank the kids - HAHA!

Watch your LE, it'll tell you when to switch rods!! I almost always start with the lightest set I think will work and adjust from there! If you get a big bow when flying, swap to some heavier rods!! If you get no flex at all, go to something lighter! The Rev uses that flex to move, but too much isn't good either and you risk breaking them! In general all the rods are stronger than we expect, but s@@@ happens! Until you build up some experience, err on the "strong" side of things! Another thing - if you feel like you need 4 wraps in the std sail, switch to the vented! If you put too strong a set of rods in a sail, you risk stretching it to the point of not being able to just tighten the bungees and get it out!! Again, err on the "safer" side!

I didn't go to the handle link Nick gave you, but I'm guessing it's on how to "mod" stock handles to no-snags! If you go this route, it does really work well! I have done this to 5 different sets and got good results everytime! Stands the test of time very well and a pretty cheap way to do it! Any questions - just ask!

• Like 1

I didn't go to the handle link Nick gave you, but I'm guessing it's on how to "mod" stock handles to no-snags! If you go this route, it does really work well! I have done this to 5 different sets and got good results everytime! Stands the test of time very well and a pretty cheap way to do it! Any questions - just ask!

Yes Rob, that link is the link that I sent, from over on the Rev forum. And yes, as Wayne said, it works very well. Watty (Spence Watson) sent that to me, some years back (before he became "rich & famous). I did all my handles like that, and they are still working great, and never a snag.................go take a look....

http://www.revkites.com/forum/topic/3413-home-made-handles/page-2#entry62434

• Like 1

Here's the break-down of Rev spars...

http://www.revkites.com/kite-product/revolution-spars-rods

In simple terms, black race is not less likely to break, only slightly more brittle (less flex) than 2-wrap, but they have a "spring" or "snap back" that I would liken to a sport kite suspension, as opposed to 2 wraps being more like a sedan... Spring, pop, snap, response, all involved. :)

• Like 2

The race rods are very durable...take it from me.

For my preference they do have there "window " of use. I don't have specific wind speeds of use..more by feel and control. When the leading edge loses its true "arc" and becomes looking like 3 separate angles ,or control/braking gets too difficult, I switch to 3 wrap. Only have black race and 3 wrap frames ,so I can't comment on the others. Also can double up the leading edge with these for strong winds, but I don't recommend it. I would follow others advice here ... If you need a double, you should be switching to mid or full vent. My full sail is proof :) it can be costly..

Nice sail!

Strong winds are one of the biggest reasons to have both a full sail and a vented!! You can safely push a vent to the lowest winds possible without any damage, but go the other way and ouch!! Because my balance is not good after a stroke, I always start on the side of as much vent as I can get away with!! Unless team flying, then I use the same setup as everyone else!

• Like 1

I've been flying my 1.5b vent for a couple of years when the wind is too high for duallies. I got at least 50 hours of quad line practice this winter, learned all of my hover positions and I'm working on my clockwork. The new Rev won't be flown in winds over 10mph... I'm going to try to take care of it and not beat the heck out of it like the vent. I don't know if I'll ever take the 2 wrap frame out of it, maybe the 3 wrap, but never the four wrap. I have never even used the 4 wrap set, it's still in the plastic.

The cost of the race rods kept me from ordering them with the kite, but if I break the 2 wraps, the race rods will be the replacement.

Thank you guys for all the help, you're making it too easy to slip to the dark side. I can't wait to show this kite off at Wildwood !

• Like 2

Well, the wind report for Sunday is in, looks like it's going to be a nice day, but 10-15mph winds, so I'll probably be stuck flying the vented Rev and some SLKs. I usually get out around 9 or 10, and fly until early afternoon, but later if conditions are good. I have a new camera to try out, so it should be fun !

• Like 2