KiteLife Forum

Historical sights

mystainedskin

Recently I was scouting our downtown Jacksonville for locations to fly. Low and behold, a large field right on the river front caught my eye. It also just happens to be in front of the Maxwell House Coffee factory, which is quite an old building and an icon to downtown. It also happens to be pretty much next door to the Sherrifs office.

Sooooo,with a few moments to spare. I figured I would toss the question out of who has flown where and where there specific issues involved with that location that you would normally not think of?

I am quite sure I would get my answer quickly at the location described.... But worth a thought to maybe help others in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
Hate to jump forums, but have you seen this topic, over on the Rev forum ?

http://www.revkites.com/forum/topic/275-rev-shots-with-famous-landmark-backgrounds/#entry1769

I was leaning more towards actually flying on site..contact with structures,main areas,yaddayadda.

I got 10 pages deep,some nice pics,but most are background photos. Like Mr. Watson and Barresi in the recent video "Whos your Rev daddy?" I like to get up close and personal.

I have had a few Security Guy issues since starting, but used to that...for many different reasons. ...and to admit...I was trespassing :)I tend to whip the kite out where ever and when ever the need arises. :o

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm always looking for a new place to fly.

The weirder the better.

I develop new skills to fit a location, and it turns in to a normal place. Right?

No time restrictions... It's never too early or late to fly a kite.

Especially where you get the "What makes you think you can fly there, there's not enough room"

"Don't you need a fan or something?"

"You are crazy... "

Yes I am, but my choices are still better when I fly kites,

My guess is, those that started Indoor flying had questioned the location to.

Thanks for stirring my brain,

It's time to go fly.

Mark

• Like 2

I feel the same way.

I recently got an answer about my particular location, as another forum member"Oats" shared a short video with me of him flying there at sunset...made for a very nice background!Although the wind was blowing the wrong way to get the building into play...being on the river bank made for a nice scene of part of Downtown Jacksonville at sunset. :ani_victory: Maybe we can convince him to share it... :rev_clockwork:

I'm always looking for a new place to fly.

The weirder the better.

I develop new skills to fit a location, and it turns in to a normal place. Right?

No time restrictions... It's never too early or late to fly a kite.

Especially where you get the "What makes you think you can fly there, there's not enough room"

"Don't you need a fan or something?"

"You are crazy... "

Two days ago I tried to fly where some strong vent fans were blowing air out of a large factory. The wind was directed downward by the louvers & the kite would lift up about four feet & stall. If the line of parked cars had not been in the way I could have flown higher a little further out. Now this topic is inspiring me to try more places. Certainly any public space is fair game. Thank you Mark, a little encouragement & I'm on it.

Edit: I will proceed with caution so as not to infringe on others or cause any ill will toward the flying of kites as mentioned below. Sometimes my enthusiasm exceeds my dignity....

• Like 2

I agree that any public place is fair game ... But you have to be respectful. Living in a beach community....there are always complaints and issues with kitesurfers,landboarders,blokarts,etc.

I try to be respectful as possible with pedestrians, and other kiters......

Ok sometimes they are just asking for it! But you get the idea.

• Like 2

Ah I just rememebered that you talked about this thread! You can catch a brief glimpse of the coffee plant on the right in the first couple secs of the vid...other than that its too dark to see. Nothing impressive flying wise though and im afraid the camera man was only but a pile of old tarps. Its a shame that they recently starting locking the fence near this field though...parking is a bit of a pain.. but every once in a while I manage to slip in there.

• Like 1