KiteLife Forum

Kites for Scouts

Joespickles

Howdy everyone, We have one last pack meeting in the month of April , NKM, I have found a bunch

of plans on line, especially at Drachen, Looking for input from everyone that has actually built one, which one and how did it fly. I have only made a mini delta with skewers so far, materials must be simple and easy to get, hopefully inexpensive , we have almost 50 scouts

Thanks

g

My suggestion would be a sled kite. My cub scout den made sled kites one year & we took them to the local kite festival. I bought the kits (with string included) from a store, but for 50 scouts you might want to look into a roll or sheets of tyvek - assuming you have the time to cut it & assemble the kits. If so, make a durable template so you can cut the kite shapes out quickly. Ideally you want a material they can decorate / paint etc. to make their own. For tails, I picked up a roll of the plastic tape used to mark off construction sites for maybe $5 at the hardware store - and it was probably 500 feet of the stuff. You might want to get a couple rolls so each kid can have a couple 10 foot tails to stabilize the sled kites. Don't forget - you'll need 50 rolls of line as well . . . .

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, sounds like i may be a little late. but if you still need help with kites for scouts, I'd be glad to help out. I have built 1'000's with help form friends. We usually use a Sled type kite because the are pretty much fool proof. They can be easily built in large numbers. If you would like I can email you the instructions and mail you a sample kite to follow as a plan. if we are building 20-50 we try to get the local hospital or Dr office to donate a few colorfull pastic bags that they all use. One bage makes about 8 kites. It seems most of the parts are easy to come by, Kite line is the most expensive item. I can help you with that if you like. I have about 2000 rolls that are 300' long, I usually roll them onto 1/2 poly pipe at about 50-75' each. that is about all that is needed per kite. so one roll give you line for about 5-6 kites. I sell them for 25 cents each, the postage is usually about the same cost for 10 rolls or so. LOL you can email me at sunrisekites@outlook.com I'm not sure I could find you on this spott again.

Good luck Dean

• 5 months later...

Oh well keep it cooking and serve it up soon as you can, the kids will love it. We did a scout camparee here a while back and 6 of us helped make 500 kites in about 6 hours time. It was a lot of work but there were 500 scouts beaming with their own new kite! it was a lot of fun. This year they asked us back to set up and make kites for 10000-12000 scouts! When we told them what it would take to do that over a 3 day camp they graciously backed down and just let us up come and fly some really big kites and teach some kids how to fly a rev, even that was a challange with that many kids around! But it was well worth it!
Dean

• Like 3