KiteLife Forum

Winding up lines

websherpa

After struggling with the 4 lines using JB's method, I finally have it down. I do the same thing, I use 2 stakes separated by about 5 feet, to unwind the lines, and never have a problem now. When I put the lines on the winder, I also make sure the leaders and knots are out of the way, and the first wind is a figure 8, and then straight from there. Works great.

Hey CB.....That's pretty cool, that you figured that out - the part about making "the first wind, a figure 8" ! That's one of the little tricks, that I likewise figured out, sometime back. Making that first wrap, across the winder (figure 8), gets the knots over to one side, leaving for a smooth center wind. And I thought that was one of my secrets......... :cat_shifty: I believe you are beginning to figure this stuff out. Carry on Sir ! You are doing good - "OWN YOUR WIND" :ani_victory:

• Like 3

After struggling with the 4 lines using JB's method, I finally have it down. I do the same thing, I use 2 stakes separated by about 5 feet, to unwind the lines, and never have a problem now. When I put the lines on the winder, I also make sure the leaders and knots are out of the way, and the first wind is a figure 8, and then straight from there. Works great.

Hey CB.....That's pretty cool, that you figured that out - the part about making "the first wind, a figure 8" ! That's one of the little tricks, that I likewise figured out, sometime back. Making that first wrap, across the winder (figure 8), gets the knots over to one side, leaving for a smooth center wind. And I thought that was one of my secrets......... :cat_shifty: I believe you are beginning to figuring this stuff out. Carry on Sir ! You are doing good - "OWN YOUR WIND" :ani_victory:

Actually, I got that initial figure 8 from JB's tutorial.

• Like 2

What I have found, is that when unwrapping the lines off the winder, if I hold the lines in my hand about 1 1/2 feet from the winder, as I unwind them, there is less of a tendency for one of the 4 lines to catch on the winder, and overlap the other three causing a jam up in the unwinding process.

I wrap just straight around.. John showed us a trick if the handles don't line up... back off 15'of line or so off the winder and wrap a different way (figure 8, whatever), as each manner takes up different amounts of line.

I just can't do it. If I wind-up my lines, and get close to the stake (I remove my handles prior to wind-up), and I see that they aren't coming out even, I unwind the whole thing, and start over. Theoretically, winding a properly paired, quad set, shouldn't be any different than winding up a dual line set, so if one line (or pair), is way off, something's got to be wrong. A lot of times, this doesn't become evident, until the wind-up, and at that point, I want to figure out which line(s) is out of sync, and why. No better time to find out, than when you've already got them paired and staked out. Then I take note of the problem, so I can equalize them, when I get back home, if necessary.

I've found that the usual culprit, will be sagging drive lines, which is normal after several flights in a good breeze, and really not a problem, as long as both of those drive lines have the same amount of sag. If only one line is sagging, something is definitely out of whack, and equalization is probably in order. If the amount of sag is great (drive lines sag down much lower than the brake lines), and assuming they are equal, it might be a good time to reverse the paired lines, on your winder (wind-up from the handle end, back to the kite). Then, next time out, your lines will be reversed on your winder, but you'll be set up to attach your normal drive lines, as brake lines, and visa-verso. Fly it this way for a while, and you'll eventually equalize your top and bottom lines again, and then you can then switch them back, to your normal configuration. Another good reason to "color code", your top vs bottom sleeving.........

Works for me :ani_victory:

I wrap just straight around.. John showed us a trick if the handles don't line up... back off 15'of line or so off the winder and wrap a different way (figure 8, whatever), as each manner takes up different amounts of line.

I just can't do it. If I wind-up my lines, and get close to the stake (I remove my handles prior to wind-up), and I see that they aren't coming out even, I unwind the whole thing, and start over. Theoretically, winding a properly paired, quad set, shouldn't be any different than winding up a dual line set, so if one line (or pair), is way off, something's got to be wrong. A lot of times, this doesn't become evident, until the wind-up, and at that point, I want to figure out which line(s) is out of sync, and why. No better time to find out, than when you've already got them paired and staked out. Then I take note of the problem, so I can equalize them, when I get back home, if necessary.

I've found that the usual culprit, will be sagging drive lines, which is normal after several flights in a good breeze, and really not a problem, as long as both of those drive lines have the same amount of sag. If only one line is sagging, something is definitely out of whack, and equalization is probably in order. If the amount of sag is great (drive lines sag down much lower than the brake lines), and assuming they are equal, it might be a good time to reverse the paired lines, on your winder (wind-up from the handle end, back to the kite). Then, next time out, your lines will be reversed on your winder, but you'll be set up to attach your normal drive lines, as brake lines, and visa-verso. Fly it this way for a while, and you'll eventually equalize your top and bottom lines again, and then you can then switch them back, to your normal configuration. Another good reason to "color code", your top vs bottom sleeving.........

Works for me :ani_victory:

I like having all 4 lines color coded, so right and left brake lines can't be mixed up either.

What I have on the lines I got with the SLE from AWOC is white and white/black , and red and red/ black on the other side. I have a red piece of tape on my right handle. Impossible to mix up, although yesterday, I managed to connect the right side of my Rev to the opposite lines. Made for an interesting time, when I was trying to set it up for a launch, with the left side firmly planted on the LE and the right side trying to take off.

What I have on the lines I got with the SLE from AWOC is white and white/black , and red and red/ black on the other side. I have a red piece of tape on my right handle. Impossible to mix up, although yesterday, I managed to connect the right side of my Rev to the opposite lines. Made for an interesting time, when I was trying to set it up for a launch, with the left side firmly planted on the LE and the right side trying to take off.

Trust me, we've all "BEEN THERE AND DONE THAT", and it really makes you feel like a fool. But, you usually don't do it more than a couple of times, and finally, your identification begins to sink in................

So, your scheme must be: ?

Upper Left - White

Lower Left - White/Black

Upper Right - Red

Lower Right - Red/Black

• Like 1

Trust me, we've all "BEEN THERE AND DONE THAT", and it really makes you feel like a fool. But, you usually don't do it more than a couple of times, and finally, your identification begins to sink in................

So, your scheme must be: ?

Upper Left - White

Lower Left - White/Black

Upper Right - Red

Lower Right - Red/Black

That;'s it. It was funny yesterday, cause I was already fighting the erratic winds, and getting PO'd about the situation, and all of a sudden, it was like my kite was possesed and trying to beat me into submission.......The right side kept trying to hit me in the head every time a gust came along. :ani_giveup:

That;'s it. It was funny yesterday, cause I was already fighting the erratic winds, and getting PO'd about the situation, and all of a sudden, it was like my kite was possesed and trying to beat me into submission.......The right side kept trying to hit me in the head every time a gust came along. :ani_giveup:

Yep, it doesn't like the wrong line, hooked in the wrong place..........for sure :cat_lol:

I just did it again, :ani_giveup: I think it is the distraction of kite flying :cat_shocked: . Cause then when I finally have to land, come back to Mother Earth, and settle my basic human emotions. I have to turn to the discipline of my tangled lines :ani_wallbash: , the kite flyers marlin spike head set must come into play :ani_weightlift: and deal with the reality, again of my tangled lines. :ani_whistling:

it's okay yesterday while flying with jb i thought my bridle was wrong, undid it and passed it through the right way, started flying only to realise i set up the kite backwards lol. So we all make mistakes

• Like 3

We watched in horror as a friend carried both handles and the kite whilst dragging the lines behind him. Huge tangle but it's not an error that will be repeated. Wind em up or drag them behind you in a straight line outstretched

For sure! I make a point, no matter what, to NEVER walk to a downed kite, with the handles in my hands. :thumbdown:

You're only asking for trouble. :ani_wallbash:

Besides, that's what they make stakes for :doh:

• Like 1

We watched in horror as a friend carried both handles and the kite whilst dragging the lines behind him. Huge tangle but it's not an error that will be repeated. Wind em up or drag them behind you in a straight line outstretched

For sure! I make a point, no matter what, to NEVER walk to a downed kite, with the handles in my hands. :thumbdown:

You're only asking for trouble. :ani_wallbash:

Besides, that's what they make stakes for :doh:

Yeah, I have a stake holder that is belt mounted, and prior to launching, the stake goes in the holder. If I land and have to go to kite, it immediately gets staked.

And speaking of line horrors, sometime back, I ordered a kite with lines, from someone on eBay. The items were listed as brand new, never flown. Here is the brand new set of lines, that was included with the brand new kite, straight from the factory. RIGHT !

post-4670-0-54412900-1393860358_thumb.jp post-4670-0-76951900-1393860373_thumb.jp post-4670-0-81497300-1393860384_thumb.jp

• Like 2

And speaking of line horrors, sometime back, I ordered a kite with lines, from someone on eBay. The items were listed as brand new, never flown. Here is the brand new set of lines, that was included with the brand new kite, straight from the factory. RIGHT !

attachicon.gif2.JPG attachicon.gif3.JPG attachicon.gif5.JPG

They were probably being truthful. They never flew the lines, cause they couldn't get them untangled.. :cat_lol: