KiteLife Forum

Winding up lines

websherpa

Nick - that is UGLY!! YIKES!!

That would turn into an exercise in patience for sure, untangling that!! :ani_wallbash::ani_giveup:

Yep, and can you believe, that they tried to tell me, that those lines came from the manufacturer, like that ? Just amazing ? Worry not, though, I entered a claim through eBay/PayPal, and they locked down their accounts. Basically put them out of business, until they settled up with me. Got to give it to eBay/PayPal, if you sell on eBay, you better deliver what you list, exactly as you represented it, or you're done ! They will protect the buyer, 100%.

• Like 2

Wow, SIX pages on this already... Ever wonder how many Revs were closeted or trashed before suitable instructions were made available? :)

What I have on the lines I got with the SLE from AWOC is white and white/black , and red and red/ black on the other side. I have a red piece of tape on my right handle. Impossible to mix up, although yesterday, I managed to connect the right side of my Rev to the opposite lines. Made for an interesting time, when I was trying to set it up for a launch, with the left side firmly planted on the LE and the right side trying to take off.

I understand some folks using this, totally... Myself, I'd actually get confused trying to remember 4 markings, I'm just bone-headed that way. lol

And speaking of line horrors, sometime back, I ordered a kite with lines, from someone on eBay. The items were listed as brand new, never flown. Here is the brand new set of lines, that was included with the brand new kite, straight from the factory. RIGHT !

See first paragraph... That seller should have found KiteLife, eh? <grin>

i don't even mark my lines larks head tops over bottoms kite end walk 80' let's see larks head bottoms over tops pick up handles few twists (maybe) 1 pass through (maybe) i'm flying

Wow, SIX pages on this already... Ever wonder how many Revs were closeted or trashed before suitable instructions were made available? :)

And speaking of line horrors, sometime back, I ordered a kite with lines, from someone on eBay. The items were listed as brand new, never flown. Here is the brand new set of lines, that was included with the brand new kite, straight from the factory. RIGHT !

And John, that was just a dual line set. Imagine what it would have been like, if it had been quad ? :ani_wallbash: But, that was a long time ago, and water over the dam. :bye1: (glad to see you back)

• Like 1

And John, that was just a dual line set. Imagine what it would have been like, if it had been quad ? :ani_wallbash: But, that was a long time ago, and water over the dam. :bye1: (glad to see you back)

Really, that doesn't look that bad at all -- compared to a couple of times I tangled Rev lines when I first started flying quad.

I use two winder’s as I am still recovering from PTSD brought about by using 1 winder. :cat_shocked: (before I found KL)

But being a thinking man, I did not want to double up my set up time… so I just cut my lines in half, and only fly on 50 footers :ani_idea: …I walk back a forth a couple of times extra but only half the distance, so without a using a calculator it is the same :cat_shifty: I think …. maybe the same…kinda…sorta :cat_shy:

• Like 1

Wow, that's cool I'll have to make up some fifty footers and try the dance :ani_victory: , as far as line management, I'm still using the ole' sock method :ani_yahoo: ...gets me in and out and up quickly, even in a fair breeze. :ani_smoke:

I use two winder’s as I am still recovering from PTSD brought about by using 1 winder. :cat_shocked: (before I found KL)

But being a thinking man, I did not want to double up my set up time… so I just cut my lines in half, and only fly on 50 footers :ani_idea: …I walk back a forth a couple of times extra but only half the distance, so without a using a calculator it is the same :cat_shifty: I think …. maybe the same…kinda…sorta :cat_shy:

I had ordered a second winder awhile back , so a few days ago I decided to experiment using the 2 winder method and time the setup and tear down to compare the difference, from start to connected to the kite and ready to launch. I find the time is just the about the same using either method, with zero problems with the 2 winders, so I am probably going to stick with it unless I can think of a compelling reason to go back to one winder. The only downside I can see, is if carrying a 85 foot line set and a 100 foot, set in my bag, that the winders be clearly marked, otherwise some real control issues on launch would be the result. :kid_cussing:

The only downside I can see, is if carrying a 85 foot line set and a 100 foot, set in my bag, that the winders be clearly marked, otherwise some real control issues on launch would be the result. :kid_cussing:

Yep

Label, Label, Label !

:cowboy:

post-4670-0-27283500-1394111892_thumb.jp

post-4670-0-70342500-1394111911_thumb.jp

You always think, that you'll remember, which is which. You won't................ :confused!:

• Like 1

I ordered different colored winders from Theresa at The Kite Shoppe, they have red, green and yellow...6 bucks

Yep, that keeps them separated, but does it tell you what they are, and are you going to remember, if you go 6 months, without using one of them?

:confused!::doh::confused!:

I ordered different colored winders from Theresa at The Kite Shoppe, they have red, green and yellow...6 bucks

Yep, that keeps them separated, but does it tell you what they are, and are you going to remember, if you go 6 months, without using one of them?

:confused!::doh::confused!:

Yep green is go...yellow is caution cuz it goes faster...red is tune pandora to ACDC :rockon:

• Like 1

I have a set of kylar lines I've been carrying for a decade. Just waiting for someone who wants to "fight with quads",..

Want more aggression? Gotta' a sacrificial Rev, do you? we can mount single edge razor blades on the leading edge corners and see who rules the sky and who's still trying to stay airborne on just 3 lines!

I have a set of 150#/120' lines I haven't used once in three years, it just hasn't been windy enough to warrant that excess drag.

You carry a bunch of stuff knowing full well you probably won't use it all.

Who goes 6 months without using them?? HUH??? :ani_wallbash:

Well, I've got between 25 & 30 sets of lines (11 of those are quads), and I can assure you, that there are a lot of those that I haven't used, or even looked at, in over 6 months. If not for labels, I wouldn't have a clue what was what, color or no color. You'd have to have a photographic memory to remember all of that............and unfortunately, many of them look the same. :cat_shifty:

I use my 50# x 100', and my 90# x 100', almost exclusively ! All the others are baggage (most of the time) :ani_victory:

Actually I label them also, and tie the winders together with the coated wire ties from my dry cleaning hangers.

I only have about 5 or sets of lines and use the 50ft 90s ..95% of the time.

Yep, I figured you did. So what's up with tying them together ? Are you using 2 winders, for quad sets ? :ani_victory:

25 - 30 sets??!! Glad I'm not lugging them around!! Got like 8 sets for my outdoor Revs!!

30' x 50#

50' x 50#

120' x 50#

30' x 90#

80' x 90# (and I think I'll shorten to 75')

120' x 90#

40'+ 60' x 150# (never use them)

1 winder each, easy to keep track of since I fly regularly!!!

25 - 30 sets??!! Glad I'm not lugging them around!! Got like 8 sets for my outdoor Revs!!

30' x 50#

50' x 50#

120' x 50#

30' x 90#

80' x 90# (and I think I'll shorten to 75')

120' x 90#

40'+ 60' x 150# (never use them)

1 winder each, easy to keep track of since I fly regularly!!!

Well, that includes dual lines, too ! Got bunches of those............... :cat_sick:

ps.....I buy in bulk, and make what I want..........still, got to label everything :ani_giveup: