KiteLife Forum

Lets talk about roll-ups (yo-yos?)

websherpa

Trying to backflip into turtle I've over rotated a number of times and I've got some questions about this configuration. First of all I've been flying my ITW swift when winds are right and sitting on my hands when the winds are too strong until I get parts in for my Kymera. The Swift doesn't have yo-yo stoppers. Does this mean I can't shouldn't roll the kite up or is it just less ideal? Would it be wise to get yo-yo stoppers for it? I've also noticed the lines digging into the trailing edge of the sail. Is this bad or am I worrying about nothing. Most importantly, what is the most beginner friendly way to fly out of a roll-up type scenario?

• Like 1

Well, the Swift is probably too light and flexible to make a good trick kite (yo yos, etc)...

1 - When the kite fully wraps up, the line around it creates compression (requiring some stiffness in the frame to sustain), and the lines can abrade the trailing (or leading) edge material if it's not "rated" or reinforced for this type of use... No guarantee the Swift can't handle it, but I know it wouldn't have been specifically designed for it.

2 - There is also the issue of weight... In order to flip the kite (yo yo), a little weight / inertia is needed, and the Swift is pretty light, so if you do try adding stoppers, you might also need to add some weight (5-15 grams) to the tail to facilitate rotation.

That being said... The SKY IS THE LIMIT, yo yo stoppers are cheap and a pretty easy, harmless install... No reason you can't try it, long as you have your wits about you and listen to the kite as you experiment... I've tried all sorts of weird :cat_censored: with kites, much of it absolutely ridiculous - all of it fun and educational. B)

Did you know... Almost every slack line trick (like the yo yo) started as a mistake that someone managed to repeat and perfect?

==

As for getting out of a roll up... Remember the compression I described above, and it's potential to "crush" the kite...

If you've got the kite rolled up and you're flying, the simplest and safest way out is to head straight up with your hands pulled down closer to your hips... Once you feel the pull reduce slightly, push your hands toward the kite, then let them drop back to your sides.

What should happen, is the kite's nose will lean back slightly for a second, then come toward you, initiating the actual unroll.

==

You can also fly high up, turn the kite so you're flying down, then do the same thing... Soft push out (kite goes into pancake), then hands back to unroll... Trick with this is to remember, you'll be headed straight down and be loaded up coming out this way - so make sure you do this whole thing fairly high up, and be ready to turn away before you hit the ground. :devil:

And another... You can also do a ground pass, turn up slightly (rise 4-5 feet, nose at roughly 45 degrees up), then use the same hand motions to unroll onto a single wing tip or 2-point landing.

==

Some good references...

Awesome tutorial

https://vimeo.com/25435954

A different sort of roll up, very weird...

https://vimeo.com/25164167

==

I do love my rollups...

==

Pretty soon, if you're not careful, you'll be flailing like this. ;)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1233727007467&set=vb.1357938423

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hey John... I've heard a story about you wrapping up a kite so many times that the lines ended up half their length. What's the real scoop on that urban legend ?

And yes, the trailing edge gets roughed up when you roll up too much. This is a picture of the TE of my Prism Zephyr... I flew that kite to shreds but it still flies OK, so who cares what it looks like ?

P1070851.jpg

A SUL kites can be rolled up, but it takes much more effort than a standard kite. Also, you don't need yoyo stops, in the old days before yoyo stops, pilots used to catch the lines on the upper spreader connectors. Or you could put a yoyo line between your lines that catches the nose as the kite rotates around...

• Like 2

So where does one find out info on whether a kite is or is not yo-yo "rated"? Any other basic tricks I need to be aware of that could damage the kite?

A good rule of thumb is the frame stiffness, medium-high wind kites will generally sustain better...

Visually, you're mainly looking for reinforced trailing edges (often with mylar or dacron) and yo yo stoppers.

If a modern kite doesn't come with stoppers, 8 out of 10 times it may not be well suited to such tricks.

Hey John... I've heard a story about you wrapping up a kite so many times that the lines ended up half their length. What's the real scoop on that urban legend ?

True. :)

Kite Party, maybe 2005 or 2006, flying a Deep Space on 110' lines...

33 roll ups in all, at one time... Mark Reed was watching when I unrolled, it was awesome. <grin>

• Like 2

If you want to try roll ups then HQ clip on yoyo stoppers are cheap and easy to fit and won't damage your kite. Fit them 2/5th's or 40% of the length of the leading edge down from the nose as a starting point.

1141066346.JPG

• Like 1

Small clarification... I didn't just roll up 33 times in one go, did anywhere from 1-4 at a time (adding on) until I reached 33. :)

And yes, my lines got pretty darned short! LOL

And ROLLING ROCK BEER was BORN! :) now i know what the "33" represents!

• Like 2