KiteLife Forum

OK, what's next ?

RobB

One of the big differences is the LE. Look close under load and you'll see that the "B" has much more of a curve! The SLE has a straighter edge! The curve creates a "ball" of wind load that the sail works around! The SLE with straighter edge lets wind spill off easier! Any of the mids - "B", Pro, Polo, are great choices!

One of the big differences is the LE. Look close under load and you'll see that the "B" has much more of a curve! The SLE has a straighter edge! The curve creates a "ball" of wind load that the sail works around! The SLE with straighter edge lets wind spill off easier! Any of the mids - "B", Pro, Polo, are great choices!

Not sure if Rob was actually talking about an SLE, or not (?) I had assumed that he was talking about a standard rev, with 1/4" rods, presumably 3-wrap, but not sure (?). Didn't mean to give bad advice, but either way, I think that we boiled it down, to the same end (get a mid). :ani_giveup:

ps......I figured that the SLE's were out in the garden, by now ! :cat_lol:

• Like 1

I've been flying my standard sail with 2 wraps in it. The winds have been low, and I broke my 3 wrap set. So the vent has the 4 wrap set in it, I don't really notice much of a difference between the 3 wrap and 4 wrap. I was ordering some replacement parts from a well known Rev distributor and he actually talked me out of buying a Race Frame.

What I was trying to figure out is if the 1.5b just has the best controllability of all the options out there. I'm going to have to try a 1.5b standard sail, it seems, and compare it to my 1.5. I hope it's just the difference between a full sail and a vented sail...

Most of the difference you feel is no doubt due to the vents. You'll always feel like a better flier if you're on a vented. Way smoother. That said, yes there is a noticeable difference between the b series and other 1.5s (exp, sle). To see if it matters to you, you'll need to compare kites with the same number of vents. I prefer the Bs, but you may be perfectly happy with an sle. Team 180 go flies on all SLEs and they seem to do just fine ;)

SLEs are better now bc they're made of icarex. Just to clear up any confusion, most people do abandon the SLE rods to the garden, but the kite itself is still called an SLE. :)

• Like 3

The 1.5 platform is the key here, plus the frame choice. My 1.5 SLE does all the same moves and has mostly the same feel as my 1.5B, as my 1.5 B-Pro (all STD sail).... So long as they all have the same frame. Ok, so there are some differences in feeling, particularly during lateral flight, but ultimately I feel its the 1.5 size that is key. I would buy a B Series over an SLE series - the sail material is worth the extra $$, but at the end of the day, the 1.5 size is what I'm after so all are worth considering.

• Like 2

Rob - I'm not sure which topic you posted pix of the new std sail in! Mind posting here?

See I first flew a Rev 1 and got used to the flight dynamics of that wing, then I tried a Rev 2! I think it was even before or they were just coming out with the 1.5! Now the 1.5 is my preferred sail, but I adapt really fast to either of the other 2 wings because I've flown them and know their limits!

With the right frame and winds, I don't see why any of the sail models would be "wrong"!?

Rob, just think of the vents as shock absorbers. As many have mentioned, the vented kite will simply be the smoother ride - no matter what platform you are comparing (be it 1, 1.5, or II). The vented version just feels better. I've never flown a vented exp or sle, but I would think that those same differences, are there too.

On a personal note, most of my flying is done at the coast, and there are normally decent winds, and I rarely take out a standard sail, unless the wind just quits completely. When that happens, it's time for a cool one, anyway :big_beer:

• Like 1

Rob - I'm not sure which topic you posted pix of the new std sail in! Mind posting here?

See I first flew a Rev 1 and got used to the flight dynamics of that wing, then I tried a Rev 2! I think it was even before or they were just coming out with the 1.5! Now the 1.5 is my preferred sail, but I adapt really fast to either of the other 2 wings because I've flown them and know their limits!

With the right frame and winds, I don't see why any of the sail models would be "wrong"!?

I have a question, I read somewhere that it is easier to learn on a Rev 1 is this true? Do you feel like you benefited from first leaning to fly on a Rev 1?

I think I may actually be one of the few here who *did* learn on a Rev I first, it's all that was available when I started in 1990. :)

Simple break down:

Rev I has less belly, creating less center (loading) pressure.

Less belly, less connective fabric between each controllable wing, making them almost entirely independent.

The larger 9' kite loads up and pulls more, at which point it is harder to control.

Larger kite, larger hand motions required, which is a detriment when learning.

In short - I'd say it's far easier to learn on a 1.5...

Rev I is more like a truck, Rev II / B2 is much faster and twitchier.

• Like 1

I think you're a better pilot for *any* experience... It's all relative, know what I mean?

At this point, what I feel has made me a better pilot is spending significant time with almost every variation out there, in just about any condition.

With regard to over correction, it's going to happen... Happens to me, particularly when I'm caught with a STD in rising winds. :)

• Like 1

Thanks John,

So, Fly, Fly, Fly! Got it, will do

Thank you for your advice. it is good to know that even the best sometimes have small issues. like "oops thats not what I meant to do :cat_shocked:"

I wonder are there any videos of Pro's giving feedback to aspiring Rev Pilots at a clinic? I have watched all of the tutorials again and again. And will probably watch them again. But it would be good to see some new pilots taking instruction and hearing your instruction.

Wayne... my standard sail 1.5...

G0120266.jpg

It looks amazing against the sun in flight, but it gets a little fast for me and tends to over rotate. The same moves on the 1.5b vent are crisp and precise. I know, different wind, so lots of variables at work. See, my understanding was that the panel shape & layout on the b series helped to spread the load of the wind so it's even across the sail, and that was one of the improvements from the 1.5.

I wonder why the customs are all just 1.5s ?

• Like 1

There are custom B's available... but only in certain colors from what I have seen. My grey fade was labeled custom, and was also available in the black rainbow from www.kiteconnection.com. They are just custom colors of production models from what it appears.

As far as flight, I only have an EXP to compare to...and the B is much better,and even more so once "broken in"

Thanks John,

So, Fly, Fly, Fly! Got it, will do

Thank you for your advice. it is good to know that even the best sometimes have small issues. like "oops thats not what I meant to do :cat_shocked:"

I wonder are there any videos of Pro's giving feedback to aspiring Rev Pilots at a clinic? I have watched all of the tutorials again and again. And will probably watch them again. But it would be good to see some new pilots taking instruction and hearing your instruction.

Ya, fly, have fun, fly, stretch your boundaries, have fun, fly, share, explain it to others, have fun. :)

Flying gets WAY easier, but it's never 100% perfect (especially team flying) and the environment is ever-changing which is what keeps the challenge alive forever.

Sorry, no such video... Frankly, most of our clinic instruction is one on one and partially tailored to each pilot so the process is a bit different for each person.

I think I may actually be one of the few here who *did* learn on a Rev I first, it's all that was available when I started in 1990. :)

In short - I'd say it's far easier to learn on a 1.5...

Rev I is more like a truck, Rev II / B2 is much faster and twitchier.

Haha JB, I also learned (or more accurate: my first handful of Rev flights) was on a 1. I had my Chevy Cavalier so it was between '89 and '91. It was a friend of mine and he never really grooved on the quads. When I see him every now and again I always try to talk him into selling me his 1. Even though his Rev hasn't seen daylight in probably over a decade, he'll never give it up....lol

I really enjoy reading this thread; it has helped me make a decision on which Rev to get next. I cannot get in the groove of most of the tutorial vids with my B std/full. After reading all the replies, I believe my next one will be a mid-pro.

• Like 1

Wayne... my standard sail 1.5...

G0120266.jpg

It looks amazing against the sun in flight, but it gets a little fast for me and tends to over rotate. The same moves on the 1.5b vent are crisp and precise. I know, different wind, so lots of variables at work. See, my understanding was that the panel shape & layout on the b series helped to spread the load of the wind so it's even across the sail, and that was one of the improvements from the 1.5.

I wonder why the customs are all just 1.5s ?

Most likely the over rotation is because you're using the same inputs that you use for the vented! Full sails are a bit more "touchy"! Again, with the right frame for the winds, you shouldn't have any really bad problems!! Most likely a stupid question - but you do have top leaders for your handles? You may need to use a different knot on the leaders for the full sail over the full vent! I find myself changing knots every time the wind changes, whether that is hourly, daily or whatever!

The only reason I can see for using the older 1.5 platform for masterpieces is that there are no panels to make fit! You'll notice that many of the masterpieces are single piece sails!

PS: I was also one of the few that learned on a 1 first!!

• Like 1

<snip>

+1

I went 20 years before getting anything else in the way of /Revs.

• Like 1

This topic got me so revved up (pun totally intended), that I went out and flew my Rev1 for the longest it's been airborne in a long time!! Had forgotten how much fun I had with that baby! YEEHAW!!!

PS: a little known fact - I didn't even know that Rev made a vented kite until just a few years ago! My full sail 1 was the only Rev I had, until I found out about vented Revs! Now I have enough to handle just about anything we fly in!!

PSS: another little known fact - my Rev 1 was my first "real" Rev, I actually started on a..............Backtracker!!! (Yeegads!!!) If you could fly that, you could fly anything Rev made!!

PSS: another little known fact - my Rev 1 was my first "real" Rev, I actually started on a..............Backtracker!!! (Yeegads!!!) If you could fly that, you could fly anything Rev made!!

Shame on you !!! (just kidding Wayne) I didn't know that..............??? :ani_giveup:

Wayne... what's the scoop with the 'Masterpiece' kites having a 1 piece sail ? Do their flying characteristics suffer from that ? And what about those 'Kitelife Revs' ? I could swear that I saw a picture of some Revs with a Kitelife logo on them...

BTW... I think that Black Rainbow Custom is a 1.5 SLE, at least the one I found. I was just talking with Dave S. and forgot to ask about that. New handles, bridles, and 3 wraps coming soon !

From looking at most of them, it looks like most "masterpieces" are from single panel sails!! Not all I'm sure, but it looks like most! Really haven't had much chance to fly them - can't afford them to give you a review of their flying characteristics! The Polos and LHSK (Los Hermanos) are mostly 1 piece sails! Again haven't had a chance to fly any them to compare with the "B"s! I do have a set of used Pros I'm picking up at a festival this weekend! Can't wait to fly those babies!! :ani_yahoo:

I think you can get the Black Rainbow in either an SLE or "B", but don't quote me on that!! I'll look at the website and see!