KiteLife Forum

OK, what's next ?

RobB

Thanks for the replies... what would my effective wind range be with the midvent and the black race frame ? I see that the race frame should be swapped out at about 10mph in the full sail, but is the limit raised with the MV ? I am assuming that 4 wrap is stronger than 3 wrap is stronger than 2 wrap, and each being respectivly lighter in weight, enabling lower wind flying... but I found no noticable benefit from swapping my 3 wraps to 2 wraps as far as better low wind performance. Both seemed to be able to fly in the same low wind.

Now with my UL and SUL dual line kites, there is a noticable difference between 2pt and 3pt sticks. You have to work to keep 3pts in the air, while the same kite with 2pt will float around in the same wind easily. Is there a corralation between 2pt and 2 wrap ? I know with dual line kites, you don't want the spars to bend, the stiffer the better.

So many questions... :cat_shocked:

Rob - all the regular wrap rods have the same "style" of flex, I find it a bit stiff, but it is consistent through the wrap rods!! The race rods are a bit different in their flex and their ability to "snap" back to a neutral position faster! Some don't like it, some love it! It really depends on how your flying style evolves, on whether you'll like RR, or think they're worthless! If you follow the JB style of sail loading, then the RR will have the most value, if you just cruise around, then you won't see or feel much difference! So it really comes down to how you plan to fly and what performance you expect! No matter on what you settle on, remember to swap frames if it is windier, or sails, as needed! Watch the LE to tell you when!

Since all the frames are interchangeable, experiment with different frames in different sails and find a combo that suits you!! One of the great things about Revs - there is no right or wrong, just what works for you!!

My setup as of now:

Std - RR

Mid - RR

Vtd -3

Xtra - 3

Spares - 4

If I had another set of RR, they'd be in my Vtd too!

Snagless handles are nice, but not necessary to enjoy Revs! I used the mod for making my own and it lasted many years! I just recently got some snagless due to some personal experimentation with handles! Again - no right or wrong, just trying something else out!

Your mileage may vary!!

• Like 1

You were posting while I was typing!! Too much is relied on using posted wind ranges! While those are possible, you aren't going to find many of us going by those stated ranges! Partly personal, partly because we look for more performance at certain ranges! I had a stroke, means I'm looking to be the first guy to swap to something more vented than most! Use your own gut feeling and eyes!! You've probably flown enough to know what you're looking at, and feel if it's right or not!!

Besides - "Use the Force" - Rob!!

• Like 1

I use the same frame set up as Wayne, but I will "brake" a kite higher before I change sails as I love that powered kite feeling. I've had my B2 Std in 20mph+! Having said that, I will use my Mid in a greater range than my Std or Vtd.

I try not to worry about the numbers, leader length or wind speeds. Feel it is all I can say.

Next time your out, set up your Std with a 3 frame and a Mid with a Race or a 2 frame and compare them. I've learnt alot by just trying different frames and combos.

• Like 2

Well... my next time out was a quickie fly at lunch time. My office is less than 10 minutes from the beach, so that leaves 1/2 hour to fly on my lunch break. So, there were 10-15mph offshore breezes, and the midvent flew with a respectable amount of control and little oversteer. I know the full sail would've been all over the place in the same wind. I just flew it with the race frame that was in it, it didn't seem to bend too much, except in the highest of gusts, and I would just fly quickly to one side or the other.

Like SR said above, I need to experiment. I was just hoping to knock some time off the process. Something else has flown back to me that's going to be competing for my kite flying time...

My defective Solus was rebuilt by some of the kite gurus, and I'm now enjoying what a year's worth of testing & tuning can do for an all ready good kite ! I need to quit my job so I can pay these kites the time & attention they deserve !

• Like 1

All this discussion has come at the right time for me...as its time for some new wings. Think i will be going with a mid (mostly black race rods)and full(4 wraps) with a 3 wrap to share....a new standard will be on the backburner for a bit....

Now if I could only figure out colors! May just ride the grey fade train for a little while longer :)

All this discussion has come at the right time for me...as its time for some new wings. Think i will be going with a mid (mostly black race rods)and full(4 wraps) with a 3 wrap to share....a new standard will be on the backburner for a bit.... Now if I could only figure out colors! May just ride the grey fade train for a little while longer :)

Personally, I'd use the 3 wrap in the full and keep the 4 as an extra! And by full, I take it a full vent? Unless the winds are extreme, you won't need the 4 often. The venting will lessen the pull and load on your kite. You will see a difference even in those sails, on how the RR react over the 3 wrap! Enjoy!!

• Like 1

Wayne, I didn't use the 4 wraps until I had to steal the 3 wraps for my standard sail. I put the 4 wraps in my full vent, and don't really notice much of a difference. I guess it helped that the wind was over 30mph at times while I was at Wildwood. I haven't taken the Black Race Rods out of the midvent yet, the one time I flew it, the winds were 10-15mph and it didn't bow too much. I plan on swapping the 3 wraps from the full sail into the midvent and put the Race Rods into the full sail.

Winds were 0-3mph today for my Sunday fly, so the Revs stayed in the bag. Wow, am I rusty at flying duallies now. I flew a couple of SULs and the biggest trick today was keeping them in the air ! Hoping for some more wind the next time out !

I'm smelling the need for a Zen!!

Rod choice is always a personal thing, some don't like the flex of Race, others find the wrap rods too stiff! Everyone finds the combo that suits their style of flying!! Remember - no right or wrong, just what works for you!!

Remember too that all the rods interchange! Try different frames in different sails to see what YOU like!!

• Like 1

I plan on swapping the 3 wraps from the full sail into the midvent and put the Race Rods into the full sail.

Hey Rob, That's how I had my set of B-series set-up, as well as my B-Pros.

Standard Sail - Black Race Rods

Mid-Vent Sail - 3 wrap

Full Vent Sail - 4 wrap

I also have my set of B2's, set up the very same way :ani_victory:

See, everyone has their own "likes" in a setup!

Because my preferred style is team flying, I like the RR! A lot of our routines have many "stop and go" type moves, the RR seem to enhance that with quick loading and short stops! I try to use the wrap rods as little as I can! Now there are other teams that have a much more "flowing" style to their flying, wrap rods work really well for them!

So like I said - no right or wrong!!

• Like 2