KiteLife Forum

Do you see or Feel it?

pwiii

So I would like to take a census. Weather and wind permitting how often do you guys fly? The reason I ask is after finding and watching everything I can get my hands on with regards to quad line kites I am under the impression that many of you guys with videos out there could quite literally fly with your eyes closed. Not that you would want to do this for too long as seeing the kite is part of the allure, or it is for me anyway, but things I really have to concentrate on such as bicycle turns just seem so easy when I watch all of the videos. Now I know the years of experience attribute to this and I know I will get better at it, but it is as if there is an auto pilot or rather not a deep thought process that takes place. Is this just deep muscle memory set in your body? and did you recognize a point when you began doing skills and think to yourself "hey I am just doing that now not processing each part of the skill."

I have made leaps and bounds with my learning,or at least I think so. I am having a fun time learning anyway. I seem to have hit a plateau sort of stuck as of late. Is this normal? I travel all over the country for my job and my kites go along with me. I don't really have anyone to fly with so I have begun to rely on you guys to sound off of, also inspiration and a wealth of knowledge. Thank you Kitelife! you all are great!

I try and fly at least 3 or 4 times a week for an hour or so.

• Like 4

I would fly everyday if life didn't raise it's ugly head now and then!! I even fly inside, if the winds or weather aren't co-operating!!

There is no substitute for "time on the lines", practice, practice, and more practice! Push for specific short term goals and once met - set new ones! And make those goals reachable, not pie in the sky stuff, but something you can attain with some work at it! After a while, the skills just keep piling up and you find it easier to do stuff that was impossible before!

I do consider myself extreme, but without the positive influence that kiting has offered me, I'd still be on my couch, watching TV, waiting for .....? Give me kiting everyday!! :ani_yahoo:

• Like 5

I grab any chance I can.

Weekends are too full for me though.

I Try to grab at least Half an hour every weekday. Morning, Lunch, or Afternoon.

I carry my Revs (SUL, STD, MID, VTD) and my Gliders (Zero-G, P3, MP2013) every day to work.

Always got something I can Fly...

• Like 3

I fly as much as I can. I always have a roll-up bag full of kites in my car, and skip my lunch break to fly sometime during the day. So that's 2-4 times during the week, and I go every Sunday for a few hours to 'church' (my beach).

I fly dual line kites mostly, and yes, I've practiced flying with my eyes closed, by just feel. I've only been trying to learn the Rev for the last couple of years, so I don't fly those with my eyes closed !

If you travel all over the country, take a look at the member map, there might be a Kitelifer near by on your next trip. Give me a holler if you're ever in the NYC area !

• Like 3

I fly daily. Always the rev..unless there is just nothing there wind wise. Then the Wala and Xl come out. Whether it's 15 minutes or several hours, it is MY time and everyone needs it! Granted there are days that life just doesn't let it happen, but that doesn't happen too often for me :)

I have only been flying revs about a year now and some thing are already embedded in the body and brain... Try the old shadow flying routine and test your brain.

• Like 1

Only get in about five hours a week lately. I flew several times a week all through the winter getting in about three hours. Not too much daylight available when not working. I may try night flying as the seasons change again. Flying in a snow shower allows you to really see the wind. Losing your white kite stake in the snow is not good. I have done some Zen type flying but always when high in the window. I agree that seeing the kite & the sky is part of the allure.

attachment=4935:4-11-13 Prism 4D gliding.JPG]

P.S, 5/17/13 5:30 A.M. Just finished repairing the 4D nose & put 7 kites in the van for the weekend. Gotta be ready to fly at any chance.

post-7709-0-66713300-1368665791_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Losing your white kite stake in the snow is not good.

I used to lose mine all the time in sand or brown grass. One can of fluorescent orange spray paint solved the problem. I always seem to find at least one white one cleaning up after a festival.

Won't help you when the snow gets deep of course.

• Like 1

I wish I could get out to fly at least a couple times a week, but between work & kids, it just doesn't seem to happen. I agree that focusing on one or two goals gives me something specific to work on when I'm out flying, and helps motivate. I still have lots to learn & need more handle time. I don't find myself flying with my eyes closed (let alone looking away from the kite). If you travel to the Chicago area, PM me and perhaps we can connect.

In a good month I fly a couple of times a week. Lately once a month is a treat. Too many obligations.

I think it's totally normal to feel like you've hit a plateau. I've been there multiple times, but as long as I keep at it things improve even without me noticing. Wayne's advice about setting goals is useful. I always devote some time to trying the (many) things I can't do well yet.

One year at Wildwood I stayed on the beach all evening while everyone else was at the kite auction. I crashed a few hundred times, but I walked off that beach knowing how to flic-flac, and used it in novice competition the next day.

I never felt good at it, but I kept practicing. Months later I got my first full vent rev, a B2, courtesy of Kitelife (Thanks John!). I took it out to a club fly, and just for yucks I tried some flic-flacs at new angles. I proceeded to flic it in 8 different orientations around the clock face without a hiccup. My buddy was shocked, "I didn't know you could do that!"

"I didn't know I could either!" I honestly replied. I still haven't repeated it quite as well.

Keep flying. Try things that are hard. Crash. Your hands are learning even when your brain doesn't know it.

• Like 1

I'm fortunate that I live in Las Vegas. The kiting season here is literally 10 months long, with maybe one month of too hot weather and one month of too cold - and I still fly during these times. I replaced a big part of my exercise regimen with Rev flying. I fly my Revs 2 hours a day, an average of over 5 days a week (over the last 2 years).

After all this time, yes, some serious muscle memory is at play here. I know of what you describe pwii; there was definitely a point where I realized that I wasn't thinking about it so much anymore (save for the sideways flic-flac).

If you've hit a plateau, let me suggest what works for me - go to YouTube, watch a bunch of Rev kite vids. Make notes of how others are flying, then go out and practice their styles. I find this helps me keep it fresh.

Last bit of advice - keep it fun. Its just kites man ;) sounds like you are having a great time already! Focus on flying the way YOU want to. Enjoy!

oops... anyway as I was saying such is life. I like the ideal flying for exercise, although I think I have too much fun to call it a workout. I will check the member map and if I ever get up your way I will send you a shout out. perhaps we could go and fly for a while.

Now I just need to figure out the colorizer for a mid vent.

Fair winds and Thanks,

Paul

• Like 1

Hey Paul,

Hope you missed out on all that bad weather, that I saw on TWC, in Texas...............

ps.....I don't have anyone to fly with, either ! But hey, I've likewise learned through Kitelife.....cheers :big_beer:

Thanks, It missed me as I am in Kansas for work right now. but my wife had to duck and cover. the tornados hit a few miles from where I live. :sq-crazy:

Weather and wind permitting how often do you guys fly?

Around 30 days a year, mostly at festivals.

could quite literally fly with your eyes closed.

As long as I just let my hands do what they know how to do, and I just try to keep it airborne. As soon as I try to engage my brain (thinking about where the kite is in the sky and its orientation) I screw it up. Can maybe do one figure 8. Maybe. So that tells me it's not all muscle memory, I need the visual feedback to do anything that looks interesting. (well you know, if I had my eyes open to see if it looks interesting ;) )

Is this just deep muscle memory set in your body? and did you recognize a point when you began doing skills and think to yourself "hey I am just doing that now not processing each part of the skill."

Think of how you first learned to ride a bike. You couldn't even do it at first, not at all. No muscle memory. You see people riding bikes and they make it look so easy, so why is it so hard at first? But then you learn, and you no longer have to think, going into a turn, should I turn the handle bars or lean my body, or both, and how much of each? You just see the turn in the road and so you... turn. Without thinking. And that's how it'll be with a kite. But right now you are at a frustrating point. The training wheels are off, but it's not quite easy yet. Believe me I know, I was stuck for a long time. It's no fun watching everyone else make it look easy.

• Like 2

The 3 stages of kite flying:

1. - The kite flies you!! You can't control things and the "panic button" is about 2" away!! :ani_giveup:

2. - You fly the kite! Now, at least, it's not a foreign object in your hands anymore! Figured out some basic moves, got pretty good control, feeling comfortable! :ani_idea:

3. - You and the kite fly together!! Nirvana!! :ani_yahoo:

• Like 3

Last Sunday I had a peak occur in my new KiteLife. As I flew the Zero G it was a wonderful feeling to fly in a very light wind that allowed use of the full 100' of line. I could coax the ZG to full height straight above me then pull it lower, whip it around & send it gliding off a great distance then turning at the last possible moment, finally climbing back up to full height in a beautiful arc. Floating upwind, gliding to the right & left I suddenly realized I had a 360 degree window of flight. Next I flew the 1.5 SLE with my new race rods. Wasn't much wind but there was enough to allow me to paint the sky at the limit of my new skills. Later the wind dropped a bit & I flew the SUL Shadow. All my previous practice with the 4D had prepared me well. Even as the wind left I was flying huge loops walking backward as I climbed & forward on the downward glides. Yes, I was seeing it & feeling it, Nirvana or Zen? I experienced satisfaction mixed with inspiration & completed with moments of elation.

See my topic "transformed by flight"

• Like 6