KiteLife Forum

Travel with a REV

pwiii

I have a question... What is the best way to take my Rev kites on an airplane? Can you carry them on or do I need to get a tube and check them. I don't want the TSA telling me the spars are deadly weapons when I check through security.

Never taken mine in a plane.... but, Check your kite stake, check with airline if line set has to be checked also as some require yoyo strings to be checked. The is a thread here somewhere that has some tips also.

I've carried on a B2 with the handles and line in my checked bag. There is a travel frame for the 1.5 size revs that will let it fit in a standard carryon bag. I wouldn't check it in a tube. I've often considered packing them well in a tube and shipping them to the hotel at my destination via fed ex if carryon wasn't an option. I don't trust airport baggage slingers to not break it in a tube. I'm sure John knows the best way.

Who knows what the TSA will consider a weapon? I too do not trust the baggage handlers. So we have large (29") hard-side luggage and I velcro tape several kites, line, hanadles, and stake onto the top lid. The leading edge frame has been revised so the center piece does not have the ferrels but the outer pieces do.

• Like 1

Only remove one Joiner though. The centre then becomes an edge...

It should not come out with a careful twist. I usually use Superglue to glue Carbon.

But if you want to "carry on" you should contact the Airline

A Prism Zephyr case is a great carry-on, I hear...

Revs fit right inside...

I have my STD, MID, VTD, 5 sets of line, 2 sets of handles, 2 Stakes, and some spares in my Prism Case.

Who knows what the TSA will consider a weapon? I too do not trust the baggage handlers.

Exactly... bunch of... well I probably shouldn't even say how horrible I think the TSA is... I went from being a frequent flyer to flying twice in the last 12 years because of them. If the trip is less than 1,000 miles, I drive, more than 1,000... I don't go. I do miss skiing in Colorado the most !

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I took a quad with lines, handles, rods, etc on a plane a couple of weeks ago. A lot of people transfer fishing rods in large, thick PVC pipe and make the trip. If you do this also pack something soft inside to prevent your rods cracking from being thrown around. Kite rods in a bag is risky business.

• 1 year later...
On 5/23/2013 at 11:14 AM, John Barresi said:

those links are outdated (due upgraded) ... copy link then paste on another tab/browser, then replace .com with .net ... it works.