KiteLife Forum

First post, and a brief newbie review

Escapereality

I've seen the Kymera and it is impressive and I would love to add it to my bag soon...however for now I'm looking for a cheaper option so that I at least have a reserve/back up kite...$125-$150 price range would be great. I want to see how kites in that bracket perform so I can compare it to the Zephyr.

Try a Premier Nighthawk (3/4 kite), or a Premier Magnum (full size kite). Both kites are identical, except for size. The Nighthawk is a bit quicker than the Magnum, but both are great kites, not too expensive, and tough as nails.............I have two of each, and always fly them, when I'm messing with dualies............

Premier WIDOW!!!! it is a low budget WIDOWMAKER. they are just over the $100 mark and will trick pretty nice for you. Jon T. (designer of the widowmaker) may have some reworked widows still at kitesandfunthings.

the quantum is not a trick kite, not saying it can't, but as a newb(like me) it's not fun, but it is very durable and needs more wind. It pulls like a truck.

I think the Hypnotist would be a better bet in the prism line.

Silverfox's are also nice and inexpensive.

my money is still on the WIDOW.

have fun!

my money is still on the WIDOW.

No argument here, as I have had both kites, but for the money, I'd still go for the Magnum. As you mentioned, Jon Trennepohl and Wayne Brunjes, designed both kites for Premier, the Widow, being a "knock-off", of the $300 Widow Maker. Still, the Magnum, and the Widow are tremendously, similar, as is the Nighthawk (just smaller). They are all great kites.............GET ONE !!!

• 5 weeks later...

Would love to figure out the difference In stunt kite line. could someone go over the basics like best lasting, least amount of friction, least likely to break or snap, stuff like that.I'm sure I have left out some other questions concerning kite line that should be used for a dual line. Thanks for you help

Michael, I'm sure everyone has their favorite. Lines are like opinions, everyone has one. IMHO, you simply need to get a top quality, "brand-name", spectra line. Spectra seems to be the choice fiber, for kite lines, especially those that wrap, which covers most all dual and quad line flying. Many will swear by Laser Pro, and Laser Pro Gold (iQuad, for instance), and they do seem to be the absolute favorite, for most "quad" line fliers. Another top spectra line, if you can find it, is called "Berry Blue Line". I have used this line, for all of my dual line sets, as well as many of my quad line sets, for years. Berry Blue is available in two different configurations. One is referred to as "Berry Blue Line 1000" (dark blue and highly visible), which is a pre-stretched flight line, made from Spectra 1000 fibers. The other is called "Berry Blue es/55" (a lighter blue color, but supposedly better line), which is likewise, a pre-stretched line, but made from Spectra 2000 fibers (this means 2000 fibers/line). Both are great lines for both dual and/or quad line kites. And then of course, there is "Dyneema" line, and of course "Shanti Speed Line", and the list probably goes on and on, but you'll do well, if you just pick a high quality line (all of the above mentioned fit into this catagory), and then you'll have to decide which you like the best.......again, it's personal preference. :ani_victory:

If I was purchasing line for a dual line kite, I would go with Berry Blue es/55. If I was purchasing line for my Revs (quad line), I would get Laser Pro Gold, but again, that's "MY" opinion, and I'm sure you will get many more........... :gathering:

Oh, and as for the strength / breaking issue, just try to abide by your kite manufacturer's recommendations, and you should be fine. If concerned about flying in the upper range of your wind range, bump the line up a notch..........

• Like 1

For Kites, finding someone else that flies near you is one of the best things for learning, And helps in learning new tricks, ways of recovering your kite, and trying other kites, It is like a car, one kite you click with and others that just don't feel right, One of the best places to try other kites is go to a kite festival, the people are awesome and allows you to see and watch others, and I'm sure most would let you try their kites. For Lines, which I have tried plenty, again is like kites, I prefer Shanti SkyBond Line. but again this is after trying other types. Opinions everyone has!!

Donald Jacobs

Got Wind? Kite Club

• Like 1

For Kites, finding someone else that flies near you is one of the best things for learning, And helps in learning new tricks, ways of recovering your kite, and trying other kites, It is like a car, one kite you click with and others that just don't feel right, One of the best places to try other kites is go to a kite festival, the people are awesome and allows you to see and watch others, and I'm sure most would let you try their kites. For Lines, which I have tried plenty, again is like kites, I prefer Shanti SkyBond Line. but again this is after trying other types. Opinions everyone has!!

Donald Jacobs

Got Wind? Kite Club

Hey Donald, I wish I had other fliers, and festivals, close by. Just doesn't seem to happen, anywhere, close by, however, I do agree with your advice. Unfortunately, as for myself, I have had to buy and sell, buy and sell, until I finally came up with kites, lines, etc, that I felt good about.

BTW, welcome to Kitelife...............glad to see you posting :ani_victory:

Welcome to the forum. :)

Take some care if you plan on crossing lines with folks... Blue Line is renowned for cutting itself in team flies, but the other premium brands are fairly compatible. ;)

Well, you see, you learn something new every time you come here. :cat_shy: I didn't know that...........but then again, I've never had the opportunity to do any team flying. Thanks for that little tid bit of information John. :ani_victory:

ps.....just curious, does the Blue Line cut itself, or do the other lines cut it ??

• Like 1

On July 12 there is a competition in Richmond, This is for people interested in learning more about their kites and competing. Well worth it. You are hooked up with a mentor and coached, what better way to learn, There are plenty of kite fliers near Richmond a great club called RAF, and Raleigh NC has a active membership also. on Festivals Virginia Beach, Outer Banks, Wightsville Beach. Here in Salem VA, Beech Mountain. All have festivals.

On July 12 there is a competition in Richmond, This is for people interested in learning more about their kites and competing. Well worth it. You are hooked up with a mentor and coached, what better way to learn, There are plenty of kite fliers near Richmond a great club called RAF, and Raleigh NC has a active membership also. on Festivals Virginia Beach, Outer Banks, Wightsville Beach. Here in Salem VA, Beech Mountain. All have festivals.

Yep, I'm familiar with all of those. None are really close by. The closest group, by far, is the Raleigh bunch, however, the traffic situation there and back, make a day trip, just not worth it.............

As for the Outer Banks, I do frequent that area during the summer, however. it seems we are always arriving as one event ends, or leaving as another begins. Timing never seems to work out. That is actually, where I do most of my flying............ :ani_victory:

What Wife and I do is Look on the AKA site, the WOW (Wings over Washington) and the RAF (Richmond Air Force) Sites and Look at all of the calendars and Come up with a schedule that we wish to attend. Contact the person running the festival or Contact your regional director Which is Region 4 and tell him you want to get involved. and The journey will begin.

The next festival is Wright Kite Festival - Kill Devil Hills, NC July 20- 21

Donald

The next festival is Wright Kite Festival - Kill Devil Hills, NC July 20- 21

I understand...........Wright Kite Festival................I will actually be arriving at the Outer Banks (Jockey's Ridge area) late on the 20th, but will try to attend (Wright Memorial) on the 21st.........., maybe I'll see you there (are you going to be there?) I'll be online, Saturday Nite, give me a shout...............................nick