KiteLife Forum

Where to have Rev Repaired?

tkrinor

I purchased a new rev. I have probably 2 hours or less on it, assembled 3 times. The leading edge mesh has torn. It may have been torn when I purchased it as I did not check it over. I have a 4 other Revs and have not had an issue.

I attempted to contact Rev through their site but they don't respond.

It there a kite repair shop somewhere in the NW US that will properly fix a little 1-2 inch mesh tear in a reasonable amount of time?

Do you know someone that sews? Many have had success using the "applique" method, sewing a patch over the torn screen area, then back cutting the torn area away! Use mesh of the same weave if possible!

On the same vein - be careful when you handle your kite! Watch you don't handle the mesh with any force, careful as you assemble not to put a rod through your mesh and most important - roll it up properly! Don't fold it in thirds in the same place over and over - move the fold point almost everytime! Fold - don't roll the top couple of inches! Fold over past the mesh, then roll the rest of the sail up! Prevents mesh breakdown! I have an older Rev 1 from 1997 that is still in excellent shape!!

This question seems to come up now and then, most seem to fix it themselves or know someone that can!! Hope you can get yours fixed soon!

• Like 1

Just run a three step zig zag across the tear. Assuming it is on the seam where it meets the leading edge. (The most common location for that to happen. Easy fix, and less hassle than trying to send it in to get fixed. My guess is they have been busy at the rev office, festival season. They are not a huge company with many employees, just a couple people to handle this sort of thing. They are good folks and I am sure they will get back to you when they are caught up.

Below is a picture of the repair.

post-4590-0-27011700-1369500463_thumb.jp

Also, IF you don't have a sewing machine or don't know anyone, I would be happy to fix it for you if you want to pay the postage back and forth. Or just look for a local sewing shop to do it for you. PM me if you are interested.

If Rev is anything like some other kite manufacturers, it is best to call them than email them. Likewise for the store that you got it from. You will probably get an answer to your email, but it's not an instant turnaround. I know we all get used to that type of service with full time big online retailers, but the kite industry is very small, and people's time is stretched thin.

If it were me, I'd just slap some tape on it and get out there & fly ! :ani_whistling:

Your mesh issue couldn't have happened a worse time.

I'm sure the shop and Rev are concerned and it's not their nature to ignore the people that feed them.

(That's my gut feeling as a 16 yr Rev flyer - I don't have a horse in this race)

As others have said, events all over the world have kicked in the last couple of weeks.

(I think Wildwood is this weekend, Rockaway last weekend in the NW)

What part of the NW are you.
If you happen to be relatively close to Seattle, I'd be more than happy to look at it.
I'm sure we can get you hooked up and fixed up.

The flying the extra vent is smooth like whipped cream, but better for your health.

Mark Thorn

Seattle, WA, USA, Earth

I think my contact information is visible - contact me if you wish and will see what shakes out.

As said above, this is a happening time of the season, and thus some delays while everybody is out flying! I'm sure the shop where you purchased will be able to help you out. Where in the NW are you? Since I have not been contacted by you...I'm guessing it's not me. Give me a call if you don't get any follow up, and I'll see what I can do!

Theresa

Thank you everyone for all the thoughts and insight. I do appreciate it. Woke up a little grumpy and frustrated......... obviously....

i was able to do a little venting today with a mid-vent so life is better. I will give them a call next week or buck up and learn how fix it. The response here really surprised me...thanks folks

• Like 1

As said above, this is a happening time of the season, and thus some delays while everybody is out flying! I'm sure the shop where you purchased will be able to help you out. Where in the NW are you? Since I have not been contacted by you...I'm guessing it's not me. Give me a call if you don't get any follow up, and I'll see what I can do!

Theresa

You have always been great with the orders I have had with you. I appreciate the offer. You will hear from me come extra vent time.

Thanks

Just run a three step zig zag across the tear. Assuming it is on the seam where it meets the leading edge. (The most common location for that to happen. Easy fix, and less hassle than trying to send it in to get fixed. My guess is they have been busy at the rev office, festival season. They are not a huge company with many employees, just a couple people to handle this sort of thing. They are good folks and I am sure they will get back to you when they are caught up.

Below is a picture of the repair.

attachicon.gif20130328_174648_HDR.jpg

Thank you for the pic. That was very helpful for me.

No Problem. It is a fairly common issue, and of the few methods of repair I have tried it is the easiest. I have never had one come back apart at the repair, that includes a couple kites that have been beat on pretty hard.

And the extra vent is the best thing ever to come out of the mad scientist's lab.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Had to resurrect this for a question. Does sub freezing temps affect the mesh on the leading edge? I flew a lot this winter in 10°- 20° temps. Today I noticed that there are at least 4 small holes in the mesh. The Rev is just a year old. I'm wondering if the mesh stiffens in very cold temps? I never paid attention when I was flying.

The mesh on my full vent finally gave out. 5 seasons of tough use, the last flight with dipping into the icy water did it in... The superglue fix didn't work very well, I think I'm resigned to take it out of my bag & send it out. Is it worth having repaired ? I don't have a sewing machine and am wondering if it might be more cost effective to get a sewing machine vs. the cost of one professional repair. Ideas ?

You've been busy! Nice collection of home-made quads. I especially love the fire and ice on the floor. Are those two sewn or appliqued? I'm guessing sewn because the pattern runs to the edge, although it could be . . . . .

Thanks guys. This quad was very difficult to make a pattern and cut out the parts. Don't know if I will attempt this design again. But it's one of my favs and I'm glad I built them.

1h70y1.jpg

The cheapo Singer machine doesn't like double sided seam tape. It's too thick and sticky.

153xlqf.jpg

You have to use some kind of a glue. Also try hot tacking little holes on the seams with a hot knife. This will keep the fabric from sliding around while you feed it through the machine. Glue sticks work well for the simpler designs.

10f801y.jpg

2la669s.jpg