KiteLife Forum

Prism E3

ChessGirl

Hi, I had a stunt kite about 20 years ago and I had experience with control line airplanes and I found the stunt kite to be very easy because it used the same type of 2 wire controller to do a whole lot less.

I decided to get another stunt kite recently and I decided to buy the best kite (i.e., most expensive) I could find on amazon, and it turned out to be the prism e3. The online description said that it came with an instructional DVD, but now I have received it, and it doesn't even have a manual or assembly instructions, much less an instructional DVD.

Meanwhile, I've watched an online video on the prism e3 and it looks like a way different kind of kite than I recall. I had no idea those kind of maneuvers were possible.

What should I do? I'm kind of at a loss here.

Well, you need to follow up with the retailer to get your DVD. It's worth the time, it would cost you $20+ if you bought it separate. The actual instruction manual can be downoaded from...

http://prismkites.com/download/E3_Manual.2009.pdf

Here's the last time I flew my E3. I didn't get along with it and it's been in the basement for the last 3 years !

• Like 2

Only the Hypnotist and E3 are supposed to come with the DVD. The Zephyr and QPro just come with the kite & sleeve. It's not uncommon for the DVDs to get separated and sold separately for more $$$. That would reflect on the retailer, not Prism...

• Like 1

Thanks for the link to the manual. I actually found mine later, so I am just missing the DVD, apparently.

I think I have the kite fully assembled now except for the spine weight, which I know is around here somewhere. I do find that the little rubber covers for the knock ends keep falling off. Those are just to keep the line there snag free, right? So I don't really need to use the rubber covers to fly the kite?

Thanks again.

I don't fly many kites with the end caps. Once they fall off, I don't bother to replace them. They're just cosmetic for me, but they do provide some level of protection from abrasive flying fields. My beach is covered with rocks, and my nocks take a beating and have to be replaced often. If I bothered to keep end caps on, they'd probably last longer. A wrap of electrical tape will probably help to keep them on longer...

And yes, they do help a little to prevent snags.

Thanks. I flew the kite today in about 25 mph winds. I didn't do anything spectacular, but I didn't crash it either.

I wasn't prepared for it to shoot straight above my head and stay there. It was pulling so hard on my arms that it was a real struggle to keep my arms down by my sides, and it kept pulling my hands apart from one another. But I was able to work it down close to the ground and land it by letting go.

I expect I will normally want to fly when the wind is very strong, because that's when I can't fly rc planes and the lake is too choppy to enjoy boating and so forth. Do I need to get a different kite for use in strong wind? Would a smaller kite be better? Suggestions?

25MPH is a LOT of wind for any kite and right at the top end of what the E3 can handle - sooner or later you're going to have a broken kite. You,re going to struggle to find anything dual line that will trick in that much wind as you won't be able to move forward quickly enough to give slack line to the kite. If you are going to fly regularly in those sort of winds and want to do tricks then your best bet would probably be a full vent Rev. If you are happy to forget the tricks and just have fun ripping up the sky then something like the HQ Delta Hawk is great fun ( and cheap) and will handle winds of 40mph + but be warned it's very quick and can have quite a pull

• Like 1

Thanks Hadge. I went ahead and ordered the Delta Hawk in yellow, since I have a 50 ft yellow tubular tail that I originally ordered to use with the E3.

As for the rev, are you talking about the Revolution 1.5 B Pro XTRA Vent Kite listed for $440 at thekiteshop.com?

25mph is WAY too much wind for the E3. Mine exploded in winds less than 20mph and ripped a 6 inch hole in the sail. As well as two other smaller holes. I replaced the factory frame with a QPro frame so that wouldn't happen again. The 1.5 full vent or xtra vent would do great for 25mph winds. I don't fly dual line kites anymore when the wind goes over 20mph, it's just not fun anymore. Getting a vented Rev will give you the fun back !

• Like 1

As far as Revs go, all the wind ranges stated for them are possible, but not always practical! A full vent has a top end of 25 mph, but when the gauge hits 18 -20 mph, I'm looking to use my xtra-vent! That, I have flown in winds close to 30 mph and I'm sure it could handle more! And that's with a 3 wrap frame! But then I start to become uncomfortable myself and look to pack it up!

Look to get several different lengths and weights of line, then match up to wind conditions!

So it really comes down to what you're comfortable in or how much can you stand!!

I have a question about using the Delta Hawk in high winds. Do I need special lines, or will the 100 foot spectra lines and wrist straps that came with the E3 be suitable to use with the Delta Hawk?

I'm guessing that you might want some heavier lines for it! My dualie knowledge is a bit behind the times, as I fly Revs pretty much all the time now!

I have a question about using the Delta Hawk in high winds. Do I need special lines, or will the 100 foot spectra lines and wrist straps that came with the E3 be suitable to use with the Delta Hawk?

You will need 100-120 foot lines minimum of 150lb - I use 220lb - padded straps are a good idea too. This kite is quick!

Thanks for all the replies.

I spent a couple of hours on the E3 today in 15-20 mph winds. It was a lot of fun. Sometimes the wind would die a bit and I could try to trick it, but mostly the kite was humming like a weedeater. My neighbor actually got his weedeater out for a while and mocked me with it while I flew. :-)

I put a 50 foot tail on it for a while but I used 20lb fishing line to attach it and it broke eventually, but I enjoyed the tail while it lasted. Too bad it is such a pain to put the tail away afterward.

I'm not sure I attached the tail in the right place. I put it on the front like the instructions said, but I couldn't find anywhere to attach it except at the fitting where the lower spreader attaches in the middle. Is that where a tail is supposed to be attached?

I had one crash that popped the lower spreader loose and it punctured the sail. I already have a repair kit so I put Tecdra tape on the back and it is fine. But is there some way to prevent the lower spreader from coming loose like that?

I have had to adjust the wrist strap on one of the lines all the way in. I think it started out too long, but maybe that line stretched? Does that happen?

Thanks again! :-)

Hey JP...
I just watched it again... it really makes me wonder what I could do with the kite now, 3 years later, and hopefully in a better wind. I kept saying to myself... more slack !... more slack...

I have to go find the E3 and blow the dust off it's wings.

BTW... I got a WidowMaker soon after making this video. I'm still flying the WidowMaker every chance I get ! :ani_punk:

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I love my E3! it flys fantastic and is very responsive. Best 2 line for the $ I've had. I'm not a fan of ebay or amazon for kites. To many seem to not quite be up to factory standards when they arrive??? Seems they do anything to sell cheap rather then selling the compete package form the dealer. ALso they dont know what they are selling. Go find a local dealer, make a friend, support local kite shops. Have a place to go with questions. Just sayin.

• Like 1

I have an E3. It's possible to adjust the standoffs and bridle for higher winds- check the manual. I think 25mph is about the upper limit for this kite though. If you're always going to be flying in high wind, you might want to consider getting a vented kite like these:

http://www.imperialkites.com/Product-Pages/Silver-Fox-2.5-VT-Stunt-Kite.html

http://www.imperialkites.com/Product-Pages/SOUL-VT-Stunt-Kite.html

You can land by flying sideways to the edge of the wind window. The kite will eventually stall- give it some line and it will land.

A smaller kite will most likely be faster and harder to control if you're a beginner.

My 2 cents. :ani_victory: