KiteLife Forum

Recommendations for Good Beginner Stunt Kites?

PJD

Just returned from the Wildwood Kite Festival and discovered my teenage daughters had a great time learning to fly dual line stunt kites.

While there, i pulled out a couple of old beetles to let them practice but that didn't last long. On both of them, the spreader connection broke after a couple of collisions.

So now I'm in the market to replace them. I've had the Beetles for awhile and was wondering if any of you would chime in with first-hand experience with any new beginner models released since the Beetles.

I'm looking for a delta, two-line stunter with a good wind range, not too quick, preferably under $80.

Thanks in advance,

Phil

• Like 1

Hi PJD,

Great to hear they are picking up the interest.

The Beetles are probably repairable, I know they are still available.

The Prism Nexus is an awesome Duallie. As is the Acrobatix.

There are many others to choose from but I have no personal experience with them.

Let us know what you choose.

Phil, It is so tough to recommend a kite better that what you have. I know what the wind is like where you live, and the Prism kites are going to leave you on the ground a lot. They have an inexpensive light wind kite, the 4D, but it is too small and fast except in the lightest of winds. The Prism Jazz should fly in a little less wind than the Nexus. The Acrobatx is a nice kite, but it's not very durable. It also needs a bit of wind to get going.

I think WA is right, the best bet is to fix or replace the Beetles. Even if you doubled your budget, I would be hard pressed to recommend a kite for Upstate NY...

• Like 2

I don't know if you can still get them, but if you can find one the Premier Addiction was a really good beginners kite for not a lot of money. Good wind range, hard to break, easy to fly and if you want to start flying tricks, very tricky for the price.

addiction-pyro2.jpg

Not sure what wind speeds you are dealing with but the HQ symphony 1.3 foil is awesome as a beginner two line kite. It doesn't trick but it does track and turn much better than the beetle. With that said it needs a little more wind than the beetle so it could be a nice compliment rather than replacement.

I've flown a bunch in upstate NY, the wind is not kind. A kite that flies in very low wind one minute, but could handle 10+mph the next minute is what would be ideal. My Prism Zephyr was my most used dual line kite while upstate. That kite would come in at double the proposed budget. I think the Beetle has a pretty wide range, that's why I suggested keeping those.

• Like 1

I have been trying to get my wife flying and haven't been too successful until now...

obviously two kites have been broken, which is common while learning. I let my wife fly a Jazz which is in your price range and has been pretty durable. It has taken some MAJOR hits and keeps flying. The spine finally failed and pierced the sail in two places but it was still airborn and I just replaced it with a piece I had laying around. I do cringe when she flies, worrying about broken parts.

At the last festival I picked her up a Snapshot 1.2 foil. Nothing to break and it packs up small, wind range about 6-25mph. It is well under your price range and will get your girls out flying and learning the basics without worrying! It's not a delta, but it is a dual line that doesn't pull very hard. After some time, you can always upgrade to something better as long as they still enjoy it!

• Like 1

I have been trying to get my wife flying and haven't been too successful until now...

obviously two kites have been broken, which is common while learning. I let my wife fly a Jazz which is in your price range and has been pretty durable. It has taken some MAJOR hits and keeps flying. The spine finally failed and pierced the sail in two places but it was still airborn and I just replaced it with a piece I had laying around. I do cringe when she flies, worrying about broken parts.

At the last festival I picked her up a Snapshot 1.2 foil. Nothing to break and it packs up small, wind range about 6-25mph. It is well under your price range and will get your girls out flying and learning the basics without worrying! It's not a delta, but it is a dual line that doesn't pull very hard. After some time, you can always upgrade to something better as long as they still enjoy it!

Last fall I was fortunate to choose a Snapshot 1.2 to use in my kite reawakening. I even eventually learned my first light wind techniques with it. It is a little different to self launch with but is pretty easily done. I always will have it with me if there is a possibility of recruiting a new flyer.

post-7709-0-29858300-1369908015_thumb.jp post-7709-0-89645700-1369908124_thumb.jp