KiteLife Forum

Delta Hawk

ChessGirl

I thought I'd start a new thread for my Delta Hawk issues.

I tried to fly it today and it kept flipping over nose down immediately. It seems really nose heavy. I noticed it doesn't come with a weight on the spine. Am I supposed to get a weight for it? If so, what should I use?

I noticed when I first got it that when I hold it by the harness and try to "swoop" it in the air, it just lays back over flat. It doesn't swoop like my E3. Is that a sign I need to adjust the harness, or is it a spine weight issue?

Sounds like the pigtails need to adjusted towards the nose. Just a guess, pictures would help...

As far as a weight ? You shouldn't need a weight for it to fly. Weights are really only for helping a kite perform certain tricks. You can try a weight, see if you like it better. I wedge a small, flat stone in between the spine and sail for quick experimentation...

post-786-0-94321300-1369965517_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The wind was pretty low last night. I flew the E3 and there were times it sang and times the wind died to the point I had difficulty keeping it in the air.

So I am guessing, from your diagram, that the Delta Hawk is set for high wind and I just needed to set it for lower wind. But it still probably would have come down at times due to low wind.

OK, here is a pic. I'm holding it by the bridle and it is slightly pointed toward the floor.

931316_467120410035936_534174904_n.jpg

Yes it should hang down like that, it's just the same as mine. No it shouldn't come with a weight - this kite is made high winds and is not a trick kite, a weight wouldn't make any difference unlike the E3. It really needs at least 10mph to get airbourne and gets really fun at 20+ when you say it flops nose forward I take it you mean it fall forward when you try to launch it? If so it is probably not enough wind. In good wind it should take off pretty easily with a good firm tug on the lines. You can adjust the bridle at the metal rings by shortening the up line slightly 1/2" at a time no more. This should help a little in lighter winds but it is really much better in the 20+mph winds you spoke of in your earlier post....I've never bothered to adjust mine.

Specs for the hare here : http://www.invento-hq.com/supportkites_e.php?art=Delta_Hawk_2002

Well, here is another newbie question. Is there a trick to winding and unwinding the lines so they don't come out all twisted up the next time you want to fly? Should I just wind them onto separate winders to keep them from twisting?

Are you using a stake? Stake down your straps and wind from the kite end back to the straps! When you unwind, put your finger between the lines to straighten out as you go!! Do you use different colored straps? Take a sharpie and code your lines, one color for right, one color for left! Then you will know which line is which when you set up! I happen to use 2 stakes, one for each side, and to keep them separated! John has an excellent tutorial on line winding and management!

• Like 2

Here is a short video of the delta hawk and gomberg snake from this past weekend.

https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=463571980402420

The snake arrived with a metal fastener but no swivel, and I attached it to the kite at the loop of harness that circles tightly around the spreader at the spine. Is there a better way to attach it? It seems to make the kite more difficult to control. Also, it is clear I need to get a swivel involved somehow.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Here is a short video of the delta hawk and gomberg snake from this past weekend.

https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=463571980402420

The snake arrived with a metal fastener but no swivel, and I attached it to the kite at the loop of harness that circles tightly around the spreader at the spine. Is there a better way to attach it? It seems to make the kite more difficult to control. Also, it is clear I need to get a swivel involved somehow.

How long is that tail you are pulling...........

Take some strong line and make a separate loop around the "T" or something lower, if there! You won't involve the bridle lines that way and affect handling!!

Hey Wayne, I just fixed mine a few minutes ago - exact same kite. The "T", that you mentioned, is on the bottom of the spine, upside down, of course, and it is wrapped with a Velcro strap, to hold it in place. Pretty typical set-up, where you pull the Velcro strap up tight, to tension the entire sail, along the spine.

Anyway, that top part of the "T", which is oriented towards the bottom of the kite, is just inside that Velcro strap, and it is hollow, so it's very simple to pass a short piece of bridle line, or something, directly through that hollow tube to form a pigtail for attaching tails. I actually, put two very small holes in my Velcro strap, so my pigtail goes through the Velcro strap, then through the tube (which is the top of the upside down "T"), back through the strap and out. I tied the ends together, so I could stuff that knot inside of the hollow "T", or you could just do that outside. I then put a second knot in the end of the pigtail loop, so I could lark's head kite tails to it. Should be ready to go...........I can also remove the visible knot, that is outside, and then use that loop to lark's head to a kite tail, should the tail have a knot, instead of a loop, or use it as is, and lark's head to it........ (some of my tails have knots, some have loops)

The reason for the holes, in the Velcro strap, is that the top of the "T", where the pigtail passes through, is not as wide, as the Velcro strap, hence, when you pulled against the pigtail, it bunched up the strap. My holes are spaced exactly, so now it won't do that now, because the pigtail now pulls on the outer ends of the "T", and not on the edge of the strap. I put the two small (1/8") holes through the Velcro strap, with a pointed soldering iron.

Hope this makes sense.........Oh well, let me take a pic.......a few pics are worth a thousand words........

post-4670-0-91346700-1374173634_thumb.jp post-4670-0-88616400-1374173367_thumb.jp post-4670-0-44073200-1374173409_thumb.jp

post-4670-0-26268400-1374173447_thumb.jp post-4670-0-35830700-1374173497_thumb.jp post-4670-0-48589700-1374173306_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Very nice Nick & your shop is way too neat or did you stage it a bit? Glad to see you take ownership of the kite & not be afraid to poke a few holes in it's little strap. Seriously, great stuff. Remember if you tire of it.....

Thanks

Very nice Nick & your shop is way too neat or did you stage it a bit? Glad to see you take ownership of the kite & not be afraid to poke a few holes in it's little strap. Seriously, great stuff. Remember if you tire of it.....

Thanks, just been trying to get it ready for the coast. Don't know that we are going to have any decent wind next week, but if so, I'll be ready.

As for the shop, definitely no staging, just hot as heck out there (NO A/C), but it's my tinkering spot. Couldn't do without it !

As for poking holes in a kite, I'm definitely not afraid to "improvise", or "experiment", when necessary. Surely nothing I couldn't fix, if I messed up. I was surprised, however, that there was no connection point, on the kite, for attaching a tail. I'm with Wayne, I wouldn't want to attach it to the bridle, either, so I'm kinda glad I ran across ChessGirl's post, concerning this kite. Saved me some aggravation, next week......... I may go by the "Wright Kite Festival", up at the Wright Brother's Memorial, late Saturday afternoon, or maybe Sunday, just depends on the weather............ Will be in touch..........

Are you using a stake? Stake down your straps and wind from the kite end back to the straps!

Why from the kite back to staked straps?

Now Sparkie, do you "DownUnder" guys, do everything backwards ? :ani_victory: (just kidding)

Because when you go back out the next time to fly, your straps will be on the outside. You stake them down, and walk the line out, attach your kite, then go back and fly.

Also, when you finish flying for the day, and you land the kite, you stake your handles or straps, the walk out and disconnect the lines from the kite, and seems logical to begin winding right there, back to the kite. Just makes sense to me, but of course, everyone has their own way........... :ani_giveup:

See >> http://kitelife.com/forum/videos/view-41-rev-tutorial-line-management/

• Like 1

That's my point. Stake your straps and wind from them TO the kite. Not the other way.

Edit: I've re-read and got it arsed about. I've got to stop reading while moving around site! Work is cutting into my forum time.

..... er, carry on all.

That's my point. Stake your straps and wind from them TO the kite. Not the other way. Edit: I've re-read and got it arsed about. I've got to stop reading while moving around site! Work is cutting into my forum time. ..... er, carry on all.

"Arsed about" - that's one way of saying it............no sweat..........I'm sure it's easy to think one way, and the write the other, especially when you are already, "up-side down"........ :cat_lol:

Just ribbing you SR...................Have a nice weekend..............I'm off to the coast..............cya