KiteLife Forum

Delta Hawk

ChessGirl

I hardly even use a stake. If you set up your kite, attach the lines and let a couple of yards off the winder. Now stand behind the kite facing into the wind holding the spine to you, nose up . Tip the nose back towards you so the lines trail over the trailing edge and put the kite down nose pointing into the wind with the lines running over the back of the kite and nose ( in the 'dead' position). now run out your lines and attach your straps. When you're ready to launch take up the tension on the lines, pull slowly and the kite will flip over into the launch position. This works in even the strongest wind.

At the end of the day I also wind up the lines from the kite and remove the straps, that way each time you unwind the lines (as above) you use each end of your lineset in turn which seems to make them last longer as the wear is divided evenly rather than all at one end of the lines.

• Like 2

Don't cut me any slack, what if I hadn't realized my mistake. Pick me up as much as you need to. Oh, we're not upside down in Oz, we're inverted....

1..If you hadn't realized your own mistake, well, I'd hate to say ! :ani_whistling:

2..So, being in Oz, ought to make all that "inverted hovering", easy for you guys ! :ani_victory:

Here is a short video of the delta hawk and gomberg snake from this past weekend.

https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=463571980402420

The snake arrived with a metal fastener but no swivel, and I attached it to the kite at the loop of harness that circles tightly around the spreader at the spine. Is there a better way to attach it? It seems to make the kite more difficult to control. Also, it is clear I need to get a swivel involved somehow.

How long is that tail you are pulling...........

50 feet. I think it is 8 inch diameter, and is just too big for skywriting.

• 3 years later...
On 7/19/2013 at 0:24 PM, Hadge said:

I hardly even use a stake. If you set up your kite, attach the lines and let a couple of yards off the winder. Now stand behind the kite facing into the wind holding the spine to you, nose up . Tip the nose back towards you so the lines trail over the trailing edge and put the kite down nose pointing into the wind with the lines running over the back of the kite and nose ( in the 'dead' position). now run out your lines and attach your straps. When you're ready to launch take up the tension on the lines, pull slowly and the kite will flip over into the launch position. This works in even the strongest wind.

At the end of the day I also wind up the lines from the kite and remove the straps, that way each time you unwind the lines (as above) you use each end of your lineset in turn which seems to make them last longer as the wear is divided evenly rather than all at one end of the lines.

I got my kites out for the first time in a long time yesterday, and tried to launch solo in 23 mph wind.  I wish I had remembered your launch trick.  I got no flights in, and then I spent hours at home untangling my lines.

2 hours ago, ChessGirl said:

I got my kites out for the first time in a long time yesterday, and tried to launch solo in 23 mph wind.  I wish I had remembered your launch trick.  I got no flights in, and then I spent hours at home untangling my lines.

Practice doing this hard wind launch, even when it is not strictly necessary. Hopefully you will then not forget it when you need it and it never hurts being well prepared when flying in harder wind. To park the kite in harder wind you can try a start trick, the sleeping beauty, and fail so that the kite ends up in the "dead" position. However in very hard wind the kite may take off instead of going to the nose down dead position.

10 hours ago, ChessGirl said:

That's why flying with others helps. In difficult situations there's someone to help you.