KiteLife Forum

Dual Line Diamond - a pleasant surprise !

Reef Runner

I'm sure that any of you, that fly dualies, have had, or come close to having, an unattended self-launch, of your staked kite, when you weren't quite ready, or weren't quite back at the "business end" of the lines. I'd like to know, if anyone has ever had a self launch, the went up all by itself, and stayed up ?

The reason I ask, is that I have a dual line, diamond kite, that I have had for over 15 years, and have never flown it, until today. I happen to be on vacation this week, on the coast of NC (OBX), so as usual, I brought a bunch of kites with me. But today, after an extended period of Rev flying, in a wonderful 15 - 20 mph, NE wind (off of the ocean), I decided to pull out this old dual line diamond kite, that I've had in the bag for so long, and see if it would even fly.

Note: Sometime back, I had made a new bridle for this kite, because I didn't like the one that came with it. I also took the lines off of the separate, left and right hand winders. I sleeved them, equalized them, and then wound them onto a regular dual line, figure-eight winder. Then, back into the bag, everything went, in anticipation of the day, that I would finally find time, to check out this kite. Well, that day was today.

Again, after the day's Rev flying was over, I went back up to the cottage, and got this little jewel out of the bag. It was only about 4:30. The wind was still cooking. It was time for the "virgin flight", maybe (?). After struggling a bit, to put it together, while fighting the wind, I finally got the lines laid out and attached to my, "bridle retro-fit", put on a home-made 25 foot tail, and now, it was time to "do it". When I pulled back on the lines, much to my surprise, this big old beauty took off, unfurling the tail as it rose. Ok - up it went - pull right - it went right - pull left - it went left - extended pull to the right - and a graceful, but perfect loop. Darn, this thing will actually fly. I was amazed. So, on this went, for a while. Did you understand that this was a "diamond" kite ? Anyway, while flying, I began to realize, that if I put both wrist straps onto one index finger, side by side, the kite went straight up overhead, and sat there, pinned to the sky, as if it were a SLK. Interesting, and I was amazed, as to how stable this kite was, when flown like this - both lines on one finger.

Ok, now the surprise. This is one of the older diamond kites, that was fashioned, somewhat after the famous old TRILBY's, however, this kite is quite a bit larger, and it has a much more substantial frame, which is continuous, around the entire perimeter of the sail. It comes with an eighty foot tube tail, and believe it or not, it flies great. Yep, this is a "Cayman" (ever heard of it ?), made by a company called, "The Caribbean Kite Company" (ever heard of them ?), another one of those older companies that bit the dust, years ago, but what a great little kite !

Now, get this !! On one of my trips back to the kite (yes, the walk of shame), I set it up, a bit to "upright", and guess what? Much to my amazement, and my wife's, this kite self launched straight up (glad I had it staked well). Oh $#!T, I was 100 feet from the kite stake & straps, and hoping they would hold. No problem. That kite went straight up like a bullet, just like it had good sense, and then it just sat there, pinned to the sky, waiting for me to get to the wrist straps. Who would have ever "thunk" it ? The kite was just sitting there, 100 feet up in the sky - picture perfect...no right - no left - just sitting at the top of the window, waiting for input. I was in such disbelief, that I actually landed the kite, and tried this self-launch, several more times. Perfect every time. You can actually sit in a beach chair, with one hand on one arm, and the other hand on the other arm, and fly this kite with one finger, on each hand, as you sit back, and gaze at the sky. Again, an amazing little dual line diamond kite..

"The Cayman" - by "The Caribbean Kite Company" - and to think, they are no longer made, and the company is gone.........

(and to think - I've had this kite in my bag for nearly 15 years)

post-4670-0-21240900-1370468822_thumb.jp post-4670-0-54563100-1370468832_thumb.jp post-4670-0-03330000-1370468849_thumb.jp post-4670-0-80501300-1370468864_thumb.jp

What a neat little kite !!

• Like 5

Recently found a kite I bought over twenty-five years ago (I think) that has never been flown. The tail pocket was not sewn too well & I set it aside for repair for a bit. When I thought of it a few months ago the search was on. Finally found it hanging with the horse tack in the big toy shed. Now it's repaired & ready to try. No eye deer of it's brand & model. I had a self launch of a five stack of Nexus that had been staked out, leaned back & sitting for over an hour while I was flying a couple other kites. They went straight up, pulled the stake part way up, bent it, pulled it free, then flew off finally turning to the right & almost landing on the staked out Power Blast 2-4. Lesson learned? Several at least. Mainly I now know if you leave kites unattended you risk danger & destruction. Could have been expensive. Have not had a self launch of a Rev, even those parked leading edge up. Have only had side sliding by the PB 2-4 when it was not centered in the window or the wind direction changed. Now, because of several of these instances, I mostly only have one kite deployed at a time.

post-7709-0-86817900-1370400656_thumb.jp Staked out five stack before it took off. Gusty winds slowly stood them up until they blasted off.

• Like 3

Gosh, a five stack, un-attended self-launch, could be a real disaster. Glad no more damage was done, although I'm sure you had a few tense moments. That's what I like about the revs. You park them LE down, and no way! Maybe a little side to side, but no UP ! :ani_victory:

Never had a self-launch of these

...but I could imagine such a thing if the wind caught them just right parked out near the edge of the window.
And I really doubt that the train would self-fly if it did self-launch. These things required all my weight (substantial) to keep them from departing for points unknown.
  • Like 2

I launch my TRLBY stack leading edge down when solo. Ideally I would like to have a flight assistant hold the last kite while I did a straight up launch. I doubt the TRLBY stack would ever self launch. It's hard enough to do it intentionally. When the Nexus stack self launched they flew straight up until the lines were about forty-five degrees & then bent the stake as it pulled out. Then they flew off slowly heading to the right, staying in formation & landing nose down without tangling the link lines. I quickly landed the other kite I was flying & chased the lines finally stepping on the handles about the moment they landed. The stake was still in the loops. I straightened the bent stake, set the kites back up & flew them to the left away from the parked Revs. A bit later, after a few deep breaths, I packed them back into the triangle bag. Who says kites are boring?

• Like 4

yup you need to leave it nose down and with the nose into the wind you can launch it. takes some practice. delta duals nose up and diamond kites nose down. i had a self launch one time (well one rastic time) i guess the lines were not equal because it didnt go straight up it made like a rainbow and arced across the sky and smacked nose down with great enthusiasm breaking both leading edges. kind of awesome though trying to run back to the handles and getting close when i see that im not going to make it. kinda awesome to watch. i actually had it happen yesterday but i was flying a foil in grass solo. havent figured out the right way to self launch on grass. i now know a few ways to not do it.

I actually find launching a train of diamonds (Rainbows) to be easier if the train is parked nose down and into the wind at the edge of the window. A hard pull on the upper line will usually launch the whole train.

My first tries with someone holding the train straight down-wind and off the ground - while it seemed better - usually ended with a failed take off and a big tangle. It also nearly wrecked my marriage. There is something that ends up making both parties angry when you stand 200 feet apart and shout at each other*.

I think the side launch, out at the edge of the window, gets a good sail full of wind on every kite in the train, which is almost impossible with a straight down-wind launch.

---

*(Did you know that forcing yourself to frown or grimace will make you angry? Also shouting. Conversely, forcing yourself to smile will relax you and make you feel good, especially if you can contract the little muscles that make the eyes "smile". Human physiology is a strange thing. Those little muscles in your face tell your body how it should feel. Try each expression for 30 seconds at a time; you will be amazed. So, everybody try to smile a little more. Happy father's day folks.)

• Like 4

I'll assume that you are speaking of launching the foil on grass. Well, on sand, you can lay the kite on it's back (bridle side up), with the top of the kite (LE) downwind, and then pile some sand across the bottom edge (trailing edge). Then when you pull on the flight lines, the top of the kite comes up and catches wind, pulls the bottom out of the sand, and off it goes.

So, now for the grass - do the very same thing. No sand right :ani_wallbash: ! Ever heard of sand bags, bean bags, etc. Actually, I don't use sand bags, not that they wouldn't work, but I do have 3 bean bags, that I carry with me in my flight box, with I'm going to fly the foil, on grass. Instead of piling sand on the trailing edge, I just lay the bags (approx 4" x 8") there, which is just enough to hold it down. Then I go back and launch as usual, and the bags will fall right off, just as soon as the kite begins to lift. For a quick trial, just get yourself 3 or 4, quart size zip-lock bags, and put some dirt (sand, beans, or corn) in them. If that works for you, you might want to buy yourself a set of cornhole bags, or make something similar. (just my way of doing it) :ani_victory:

• Like 1

And I think we know who he can get the cornhole bags from, don't we?

Yep, but they are way too expensive to ship (weight) cross country. Matt would be much better off with just a few zip-lock sandwich bags, full of sand, until he can make more permanent arrangements............. Now the cornhole bags would do the trick, very nicely, in fact, but should be available from someone locally, there in Everett, WA............

(Check Craigslist Matt)