KiteLife Forum

Rokkaku flown as a quad

SparkieRob

G'day all. Today I put my first Rok up into the air. Man it was sweet! As I was bringing it in, I was holding it by the bridle. I noticed that to some extent it could be directed by manipulating the 4 points of the bridle. It got me thinking...

Has anybody heard of or flown a Rok as a quad?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's been more than a week....

Haven't put it into the air YET. I've put in the tow attachment points, carefully measured to be equal. I'll still treat the bow set up as normal with a little extra in the bottom, I can always equalise that in the field. I'll use my short lines first and a relatively gentle breeze just in case.... :ani_weightlift:

:cat_lol:

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

Distracted is the only way I can say it...

I set it up with some small plastic rod larksed to the bridle. Measured and tied so they were even, 100mm or 4". I ran through 2 scenarios of flight. With the spine vertical, a little bit more bow in the bottom cross spa. With the spine horizontal, with the bow even side to side.

Should dust it off, got a little bit of free time. Hmmm...

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, SparkieRob said:

I set it up with some small plastic rod larksed to the bridle. Measured and tied so they were even, 100mm or 4". I ran through 2 scenarios of flight. With the spine vertical, a little bit more bow in the bottom cross spa. With the spine horizontal, with the bow even side to side.

I just put pig tails at each equally spaced bridle attachment points on the kite (4), of course it was really slippery in the air and awkward to do anything more than nudge it around the kite - I class this whole idea as pure amusement, not much more - Rokkaku kites just don't lend themselves aerodynamically. :)

I just put pig tails at each equally spaced bridle attachment points on the kite (4), of course it was really slippery in the air and awkward to do anything more than nudge it around the kite - I class this whole idea as pure amusement, not much more - Rokkaku kites just don't lend themselves aerodynamically.

Kind of a slow ball shaped genki(sp?)

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

Yeah, basically.  Or a double diamond, squared out between.

Symmetrical (top/bottom) quad kites just don't appeal to me, I like to have a dominant forward edge with a flexible trailing edge - same as with most of the successful quad line kites over the years.

Sluggish, typical for quad foils. Had a tendency to deflate when reversed too quickly. The nose tended to roll over forward until I put a flexible 3/32" fiberglass spar in that ran the full length of the intakes.