KiteLife Forum

Crossing the lines

mystainedskin

I was recently invited to join a group of flyers for a weekend of flying.

Now the drive is about 7 hours 1 way....but well worth it in my opinion....if possible financially,etc.

What sensations can be expected from multiple quads twisting and crossing lines? Is the feedback similar to way to many wraps in the line?

I fly by myself since the start..occasionally next to someone...but no real interaction between Kites and lines.

I'm sure there will be plenty of this if I go and just trying to prepare myself .... Don't want to be the low man on the totem pole. :)

• Like 1

Hey Bro,

Crossing lines is heaps of fun.

I have found a very different feel to the lines when crossed, more pulling on the handles from the kites, they can also make a few new twanging noises.

Sometimes the other kite will pull yours around a bit too.

I also find it cool when your lines dont go straight towards your kite, because you are hooked around a centre point with another kite.

Have heaps of fun dude.

The best advice given to me was "Remember to Breathe"

• Like 3

I too fly alone & look forward to group flying some day. Sometimes I'll put up a SLK & fly a duelie over close just to amuse myself. But I try to avoid the line as I don't want to cut either the SLK line or duelie line set. "Remember to Breathe" is great bit of advice along with "relax" & "fly with intent". My no wind mantra seems to be "slow but steady". Seems like the KiteLife has me thinking of the next session pondering my intent....

• Like 4

I do the same....put the Walas up and play with the lines with my Rev...making them dip and dance :)

It was a full day of heavy rain, and was just pondering the adventure. I am confident in my abilities to fly with others safely, but the whole line thing had me thinking.... I love pics of kites and ones with the lines visible even more.

I believe it was an iquad pic recently that was shared that showed everyone,the kites,and all the lines twisted. Wonderful!

I hope that I can make the trip, but if not (which seems to be the norm lately for one reason or another) it wont be too long before it happens for sure! :sign_kitelife:

• Like 1

It's all good, relax, have fun!! If you have new lines - no problem with just a wrap, but if you have old - watch out!! Don't pull against the flow - go with it ! If you get a tangle (don't worry we ALL HAVE) get the people involved to get their bodies close, find the twist, and walk it down to the handles! It's a lot easier to move handles than try to sort out kites! Breathe is a good thing - helps the enjoyment!

• Like 1

What more need be said?

There is no low man on the totem pole with Rev team - ain't that kind of scene. :)

If you want to experiment in decent wind, fly at a slight angle next to a light pole, then bend your lines around the pole by a few degrees, making very soft inputs.

That is totally doable, and is way more binding on the lines than team flying is...

99% of team flying doesn't wrap a full team completely around, generally it's a 1/2 in and 1/2 out formula.

The key is to watch your kite and the "space around it"(i.e. where do you fit in the sky), when in doubt...

1 - Own your hover, or at least a good slow-down (1/2 speed) response.

2 - Pick any one specific place and fly to it, be damned with everything else. :)

If you do get tangled up, own your hover, stay in the same relative space and walk closer to the pilots you're hooked up with... All kites land side by side, sort it out at the pilot end by moving the handles around... Shaking the lines helps bring the twists coser to the pilot end.

Comes with the territory - join in the giggle and carry on, a bit wiser. ;)

• Like 7

If you can make it - GO! You won't be sorry, and it's something you can't get enough of - after you learn to BREATHE and RELAX!

Just think WWE kite flying - or Nascar - if you ain't rubbing, you ain't racing!! Team flying can be "full contact"!!

• Like 2

99% of team flying doesn't wrap a full team completely around, generally it's a 1/2 in and 1/2 out formula.

Or, if you happened to be at Party at the Point last weekend: Terry will wrap everyone a few times before he drops his handles mid-flight and walks away to pee, while at the same time Bazzer tries to tangle up the newbie for kicks and giggles. In which case, much fun and untangling ensues! Gotta love it!

• Like 3

Or, if you happened to be at Party at the Point last weekend: Terry will wrap everyone a few times before he drops his handles mid-flight and walks away to pee, while at the same time Bazzer tries to tangle up the newbie for kicks and giggles. In which case, much fun and untangling ensues! Gotta love it!

Now that sounds like my type of crowd! Guess that's why I made so many sets of lines when I got started....no interruption.. just garb a new set :) I knew there was a reason!
  • Like 1

....Terry will wrap everyone a few times before he drops his handles mid-flight and walks away to pee, while at the same time Bazzer tries to tangle up the newbie for kicks and giggles. In which case, much fun and untangling ensues! Gotta love it!

Who remembers Kevlar line sets? LOL and just kidding of course.