KiteLife Forum

Another wala pic

Joespickles

The Manta doesn't use a coin slot like the Skate! It used a much larger weight that I think attached to the spine, somehow! I hadn't seen it, just heard about it and was told it seemed way to big to be used indoors! But with a sail so big, I'm guessing you would need a large weight to balance that out well!!

The Manta doesn't use a coin slot like the Skate! It used a much larger weight that I think attached to the spine, somehow! I hadn't seen it, just heard about it and was told it seemed way to big to be used indoors! But with a sail so big, I'm guessing you would need a large weight to balance that out well!!

I'm a little confused about this kite. There is a video of someone flying the Manta(s), indoors, that was posted back in 2009, so I wonder, what's the deal with not being available, until Summer of 2013 (whenever that's supposed to be) ?

http://vimeo.com/6512083

Straight from the horses mouth: (ITW catalog)

The Skate XXL

A huge kite with four times the sail area of the Skate, Paul de Bakker's Manta flies in the same low to no-wind conditions as its little brother. Unlike the Skate, it's a more laid-back style of kite that doesn't require a lot of attention. There's something magical about this big kite as it floats effortlessly in a seemingly windless sky. 10'-8" x 8'-0". 36" case. 1 to 6 mph winds. Use 100-lb. Dacron line. Available Summer 2013.

Into the Wind is the new supplier of several of Paul de Bakker's designs! They are having them made by others, then selling them through their store! Taking the time for the maker to get it into the pipeline! Paul is no longer making them himself (Focus Kites), but has licensed out some of his designs! The Manta is one among several!

• Like 1

Into the Wind is the new supplier of several of Paul de Bakker's designs! They are having them made by others, then selling them through their store! Taking the time for the maker to get it into the pipeline! Paul is no longer making them himself (Focus Kites), but has licensed out some of his designs! The Manta is one among several!

Still - 4 years - That's ludicrous ! I spent 30+ years in the Textile Industry, and NO ONE in their right mind, would wait 4 years, to get a new design, on the cutting table........ That's just crazy, I don't care if it is "just" a kite............. :ani_wallbash:

Still - 4 years - That's ludicrous ! I spent 30+ years in the Textile Industry, and NO ONE in their right mind, would wait 4 years, to get a new design, on the cutting table........ That's just crazy, I don't care if it is "just" a kite............. :ani_wallbash:

Oh, and Wayne, I'm not doubting what you are saying, just that it doesn't make logical sense that someone would do that. I'm sure you are correct, though, but something is surely a-muck :ani_victory: , or someone just doesn't care.......... :ani_sleep: (IMHO)

No, Nick , hold on! The Manta completely went out of production for a while, that's why they weren't available! ITW just got the permission this year to re-introduce them! That's why the delay! The Skate and Echo and Hydra were all in the same limbo, until ITW stepped up to remake them! Still no word on if they will do the Reflection (indoor)! So you see ITW didn't take 4 years, the whole licensing thing did!

No, Nick , hold on! The Manta completely went out of production for a while, that's why they weren't available! ITW just got the permission this year to re-introduce them! That's why the delay! The Skate and Echo and Hydra were all in the same limbo, until ITW stepped up to remake them! Still no word on if they will do the Reflection (indoor)! So you see ITW didn't take 4 years, the whole licensing thing did!

Ok, so I was off by a year. I didn't realize that the Manta had been out previously, until I saw the video, and then it was pretty obvious. It seems they (Focus) started announcing this transition in production, back in May 2010, or so. Still, it's hard to believe it's taking so long, no matter who it is, dragging their feet.........

enuf said I suppose..........we aren't going to change things :gathering: , so much for that ........... :big_beer:

Paul has been working with ITW for no more than two years, first kites were made under the Focus Kites label before that business closed... As the designer, Paul is licensing to ITW now and it's pretty normal for only 2-3 new quality kites to be released each year, with at least a year of proofing and manufacturer pipeline work going into each one - also, both Paul and ITW are well known for their product standards and there is sometimes a hitch in the process - they simply won't sell a batch of kites if they're not right. :)

• Like 3

Good to hear the Manta is being eagerly anticipated!! (or at least anticipated :) )

I just thought I'd jump on here to explain the time line and what has happened between "Focus" and now. Apologies for contributing to the hijack of the thread.

Someone mentioned Focus' announcement of the transition in production in 2010. Although this was true, it wasn't Into the Wind we were talking about at the time.

I had the chance to move to the West Coast in mid-2010, following a great job offer. Since this was going to physically split up Focus (Hunter was and is firmly based in Wilmington, NC), we decided to look for an alternative way of building our kites. We were going to have the sails made in the USA by a third party, known for their top-notch quality, with me finishing them and QC-ing them in the Pac-NW.

Our collaboration with this 3rd party was the worst, most unprofessional business relationship I have ever had the displeasure being in and it took us a full year of prototyping, missed deadlines, price negotiations & re-negotiations, and more missed deadlines by the vendor, to figure out that we couldn't make Focus work this way. So it's mid 2011 now, and we couldn't get US production started, plus we had not been able to deliver for about a year. Hunter and I decided to officially stop Focus and left it at him keeping rights to the name and logo for possible future use and me keeping the rights to the kites I designed.

A couple of kite manufacturers contacted me about those designs and I choose ITW for their customer service and quality control, they WILL stand by their product.

Now I only had a couple of months to change graphics and get kites production ready for early 2012 delivery. The first kites chosen by ITW were Skate, Hydra and Echo. Depending on how the Skate would do, they would consider adding the Manta for the next production year, 2013.

So that, in a nutshell, is the explanation behind the 3 year hiatus.

On a related note, coming full circle, I have been working on new designs and with a new partner, am working on preparing the launch of a new brand.

more to come soon...

• Like 6

Hey Paul, thanks for clearing things up. Glad to hear that you've got things rolling, and "new plans" in the works..........

Also, didn't mean to create controversy here on the forum (didn't know I had ?) I suppose I wasn't very well informed (my own fault), when I commented on the delay. I should have done a bit more investigation, before saying what I did, but I assure you, there was definitely no ill intent meant towards you, Focus, or the Manta. I think everyone is really looking forward to seeing it, back in the sky.

As for what I said, please pay it no mind - just "noise", coming from the uninformed (me). Wayne got me straightened out, and then I was able to find additional information on-line. I do apologize, if I said anything, "out of line". It definitely wasn't meant, that way.

Looking forward to the "New" stuff, that you've got in the works................. :ani_victory:

• Like 3

Grin, no worries... I have , on many occasions, been thinking the same thing..;) . Nothing was said out of line as far as I am concerned but it did make clear that some info straight from the source may be appreciated. :)

Thank you for the kind words. There are few things I like more than developing a kite and watching someone have fun with it. I have gone through big personal and professional changes in the last three years so designing new kites has been on the back burner for a bit. Planning on getting my "Focus" back on developing kites though...

• Like 5

To all , Hijack away, @pde I LOVE my echo, Hijack that thread too :). So as a side note, I had about thirty kids kids flying kites( lots of running) I had Sean's school picnic today, I was afraid to bring out the Wala, so two prisms delta and foil . The kids had a blast. More kids came to fly kites than all the other activities,,, I almost did not bring them. Glad I did.

Love the chatting

• Like 3