KiteLife Forum
ricmerry

Urban Ninja Maiden Flight

I was pretty frustrated with the build and would have just bought one outright if they weren't so much money.

I'll build at least one or two more with some modifications after doing my best to follow the original plans exactly on this one. Seems like it's going to be a good flyer.

post-7439-0-63774300-1370901060_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Very nice Picture.

I would like to add an Urban Ninja to my collection, But they are costly.

I dont feel confident in my kite making skills either.

Have you done any low wind trick flying with the Ninja Yet?

This was the first flight off the workbench so haven't tried anything fancy yet. I thought I saw somewhere that someone is making replicas of these. I would not recommend these as a first build to anyone although they aren't that complicated.

I have made a few kites, a 2' tall diamond, a 4' wing span bird and a 32' long Dragon style kite.

I believe the Urban Ninja has open source Plans, so anyone can make one from the designers plans.

Did you use the Kit version?

I used the designers plans from scratch. I thought even the kit was way too much. Some of his other models are for sale via Amazon...not the Ninja though.

I like to use mine for really low wind outdoor flying!! I find it's not a "set and forget" flier, but something that needs constant attention! If you use it inside, try a weight about 10 grams in the nose to improve the glide!

Thanks for the tip Wayne. I know a US nickel is exactly 5 grams...if we were to redo our currency system a dime should weigh exactly 10 grams :)

I had it out yesterday in a bit higher wind than I should have but wanted to try it since my latest modifications. I think it's going to be a lot of fun.

Thus far the most intuitive and easiest of the gliders I have is the Wala. The Zero G is the hardest and the U-Ninja and Horvath Hybrid 130 are somewhere in between and the iFlite's 1 & 2 have not had much air time yet.

There is a video of the Ninja flying indoors at a mall over in the Far East. The Ninja glided so much better than mine, so I asked if the pilot had made any mods to make it glide that way! Sure enough, he had used some nose weight to get it to glide indoors! I normally use mine outdoors and keep my others for indoor flying!

Try a quarter, I think it weighs pretty close to that 10 gram mark!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Video Tutorials

• Site Sponsors

• Similar Content

• By grey78
      I love my Wala and indoor gliders; can someone recommend an ultralight fighter kite? Either one to buy or where to find very detailed plans? Thanks. 
    • By kiteflyr
      Monark I/O indoor/outdoor.

No 2 skins are the same colors because of the paint pattern, value is $90.
      Proven indoor competitor. Won 1st place for hand crafted kite at the 2016 AKA NATIONAL CONVENTION. Test flown at the RUN FROM THE RAIN indoor comp in Ocean Shores WA.
      This actual kite being flown:
      Comes with all shown in photo - kite, line, line winder and bag.
      Reply here with “I’m in” to enter, that’s it, but be sure to read the rules too.
      Winner will be drawn on NOV 24, 2017, entrants will be assigned numbers below (order of entry).
      In so far:
      @dragonfish @Ca Ike ==
      Some rules and guidelines:
      Don’t play unless you’re willing to put up a prize and ship it to whoever wins.
      Shipping is paid by the original poster, the winner pays nothing. Be prepared to ship your prize anywhere in the lower 48 US States. Sorry, but due to shipping costs, we really have to limit this to the lower 48 US States.
      RULE CHANGE (7/31/2014): Members from Canada, Alaska, and Hawaii are welcome to enter the Karma drawings provided they are willing to pay half of the Karma prize shipping cost. The method and timing of the payment will be agreed upon between the two parties after the drawing for a particular prize.
      You can choose the length of the giveaway, but keep it between 1 and 2 weeks.
      Try to ship the prize promptly. You should be able to ship it within a week, but if you can’t, PM the winner and let them know. Sometimes life gets in the way! This whole thing works on the honor system so if there are any problems shipping or receiving a prize, it needs to be worked out between the two parties. Don’t forget…Karma!
      This isn’t a competition, but feel free to be generous! If you can only put up a hat, or a tail for a stunt kite, great! If you have something in your kite bag that you never fly and would be willing to ship, that’s great too. Either way, the people that join to win it will appreciate it.
      When you receive your prize, post a thank you to the thread where you won it. 
      The thread will be locked after that point so the new **KARMA** stays above it.
      Good luck, and have fun!
    • By West Australian
      When its Raining, glide under cover.
    • By West Australian
      Raising an iFlite to the Dawn. what a great start to the day.
    • By West Australian
      Great Kite, Great Sky.
  • Upcoming Events