KiteLife Forum

Gummed up lines

Wayne Dowler

Question for anyone out there with some experience in this - What do you use to clean new lines, flown on a grass field, that have become sticky and feel like really old lines!! I can barely get 2-3 wraps and they're binding up!! Wrapping up is brutal, you can feel the glue-like stickiness on the lines as you wind up!!

Anyone got any ideas??

Not specific to kite lines but for rescue lines using the same materials (dynema/spectra) suggestions are always to use a very mild dish soap, hand wash and air dry. I would say you can start with that but since failure of a kite line is not life or death you could potentially be a little more aggressive in the cleaning.

Having spoken with Wayne about this earlier today, I think he said it has to do with pollen on the lines?

Portland (Oregon) is in full bloom right now, and it wouldn't surprise me. :/

If I've got that right, anyone have tips for breaking down pollen residue?

Hey Wayne,

I'm curious. I think I may have experienced a similar dilemma, earlier this year (over here on the right coast). I flew out at the lake, a couple of days last month, and I noticed the same thing you have described.

My question is, when you wash lines, are you washing them in a bundle (as they are wound onto the winder), or, are you stringing them out, and washing the entire length (every inch) ?

I just don't exactly understand, how to wash a 120 foot line (or four) ? :g:

I'm just dropping the whole thing, winder and all, in a large bowl to soak! Usually works OK on lines I've used at the beach before! Got rid of most sand and salt residue! But this is new to me, and a new set of lines to boot! Would really like to save them!

I'm just dropping the whole thing, winder and all, in a large bowl to soak! Usually works OK on lines I've used at the beach before! Got rid of most sand and salt residue! But this is new to me, and a new set of lines to boot! Would really like to save them!

I wind my lines pretty tightly, onto the winders, so I'm not so sure that dipping and/or soaking them, would work well very well, especially on the inside layers of line. I really don't think that the inner section of the bundle, would even get wet, unless left in the solution for a very long time. Maybe if I unwound them, and rewound them onto a winder, quite a bit looser (?), that would help.

My other concern would be drying them out (the whole thing) after the washing. I suppose if you went out immediately, and flew with them for a while (on a warm sunny day), that might dry them out sufficiently (?), but would flying with "extremely soaked lines", result in excessive stretching ? :g: I don't know, never done it.

I would however, be concerned about storing the lines, unless they were completely dry, through and through. I wouldn't know any way to be sure, short of unwinding them completely, and if you are going to do that, I suppose you could simply rig up something to hook them on, so you could suspend them from each end, out in the sun to dry. You probably wouldn't want to put them back in the old kite bag, before they were completely dry. Again, I don't know, as I've never done anything like that...........good luck, and let us know :ani_rtfm:, how your "dip and soak" method works.........and, how you dry them out. Just curious ! :g:

:gathering: (maybe you could expound a bit, on your "line laundering" process) :gathering:

Nick - I did soak them overnight in the solution of water and baby wash! Left them out for a goodly amount of time to dry to the touch, then wrapped them in a washcloth for another good bit! Packed away in my bag for the trip to this weekend's festival, I'm going a couple of days early to fly with friends already there! We'll see if the "treatment "worked!!

Nick - I did soak them overnight in the solution of water and baby wash! Left them out for a goodly amount of time to dry to the touch, then wrapped them in a washcloth for another good bit! Packed away in my bag for the trip to this weekend's festival, I'm going a couple of days early to fly with friends already there! We'll see if the "treatment "worked!!

Don't know what time period you are talking about (goodly amount & another good bit), but what I would be concerned about is the inner layers of line, forming mildew, if left damp, at all. I would surely try and get them unwound, and out into the sunshine, as soon as possible. All you'll have to do is smell of them, and you'll know..............good luck, I'm sure they will be fine.....

Have a great weekend & festival............... :big_beer: tell everyone hello, for me, from NC !

Hey Wayne, maybe you should take those lines out of your kite bag, and bungee them to your radio antenna, for the trip. :ani_idea:

Assuming it's not raining, that should dry them out, through and through ........... :cat_shifty:

Seriously, though, it doesn't take items like that, very long to sour, and mildew, if put up damp :ani_wallbash:

ps.........and no, I don't mean unwind them, and allow them to flap in the wind, dangling 120 feet behind the car :cat_lol:

• Like 3

If the baby wash didn't work, I would try Simple Green. It's a pretty good cleaner and removes a lot of things. I don't see it hurting our lines since the lines are basically a type of plastic, I wouldn't want anything petrolium based on the lines, though. As for the "on the winder or not" question, I would have no problem unwinding my lines into a tub of liquid to wash. I would leave them larks headed together in pairs (for quads) and just unwind them slowly into the tub. After soaking I would grab the ends I last dropped in, and wind them back onto the winder. Then fly to dry. I make linesets in my condo on a jig, one at a time, and I unwind the jig onto the carpet all the time. It looks like a mess of spaghetti, but as long as I grab the last end I dropped, I have no trouble with tangles. I had 4 50' lines piled on top of each other last week, and I had no trouble with tangles when I picked them up one at a time.

I've flown my kite in the ocean...even sunk it and had to drag it out because of a wave, and the flying seemed to dry it out fine.

• Like 1

If the baby wash didn't work, I would try Simple Green. It's a pretty good cleaner and removes a lot of things. I don't see it hurting our lines since the lines are basically a type of plastic, I wouldn't want anything petrolium based on the lines, though. As for the "on the winder or not" question, I would have no problem unwinding my lines into a tub of liquid to wash. I would leave them larks headed together in pairs (for quads) and just unwind them slowly into the tub. After soaking I would grab the ends I last dropped in, and wind them back onto the winder. Then fly to dry. I make linesets in my condo on a jig, one at a time, and I unwind the jig onto the carpet all the time. It looks like a mess of spaghetti, but as long as I grab the last end I dropped, I have no trouble with tangles. I had 4 50' lines piled on top of each other last week, and I had no trouble with tangles when I picked them up one at a time.

I've flown my kite in the ocean...even sunk it and had to drag it out because of a wave, and the flying seemed to dry it out fine.

I tend to agree with rex, however, I just don't think dunking the entire line, while it's on the winder, is going to really clean those lines, in particular, the layers that are deep down within the bundle. I think I would actually consider, hanging the lines (for lack of a better example), from a nail in one tree or post, to a nail in another tree, (you get the idea, anyway), so they are not draped down on the ground, but suspended, full length, from one set of loops, to the other. Then, I believe you could take a small bucket, containing your cleaning solution (whatever that might be), and a sponge, and walk along the suspended lines, from one end to the other, keeping the sponge saturated in the cleaning solution as needed, while wiping the lines as you go. You might even want to make a couple, or three passes, and then, if convenient, spray the whole thing with a water hose, or some other method, if you feel that rinsing is really necessary. Then leave the lines hanging in place, hopefully out in the sun, so they can air dry for a few minutes (or hook up a kite and some handles, and fly them till dry).

:rev_clockwork:

Sounds like a bit of trouble, I agree, but to save a $90+ set of lines, probably not a bad few minutes to invest.......... :(

But still, I think the most important part, is getting those lines dry, before putting them back onto a winder, especially, if they are going to remain there, for any extended period of time. Mildew happens a lot easier, than we may anticipate :doh:

Please Note: this advice may be worth, exactly what you paid for it, but then again :g:

• Like 2

ps.........and no, I don't mean unwind them, and allow them to flap in the wind, dangling 120 feet behind the car :cat_lol:

I like that idea. Maybe add a mini kite to keep 'em off of the road. 3 or 4 sq.in sails should do it if you stay above 60. :cat_biggrin:

• Like 1

I like that idea. Maybe add a mini kite to keep 'em off of the road. 3 or 4 sq.in sails should do it if you stay above 60. :cat_biggrin:

I think you are on to something.................

It is the set in question, "T"!! I had good success with the soaking thing, lines felt good again! So I'm thinking that worked OK, and they weren't in my bag long enough to mold or anything! They were used in less than a day later - dry to the touch, but not fully dry!!

I did have to buy a new set because I had a line cut by another flier accidentally!

Lost another 50' line when I caught a stake while flying!! Oh well, they needed to be replaced!!

YIKES, tough weekend on lines! :ani_wallbash::ani_giveup:

I did have to buy a new set because I had a line cut by another flier accidentally!

Lost another 50' line when I caught a stake while flying!! Oh well, they needed to be replaced!!

YIKES, tough weekend on lines! :ani_wallbash::ani_giveup:

Yikes is right...............sounds like a rough go there, Wayne. Hope you fared better than your lines :cat_shocked: