KiteLife Forum

Rules and Guidelines. Please Read!

rexracer

Like John said, we have discussed this a bit. We've changed the time to 1-2 weeks, and we'll keep it one thread at a time so we have a continuous line of "paying it forward" from start to finish. Just think, if this is still going two years from now and you win something, you'l be able to look back and know that every previous winner was partly responsible for you ending up with that prize!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Nope... And even so, it can still be something a kiteflier could really use. :)

Sunglasses (certificates are good for this due to individual styles), outdoor gear, ground stakes, kite bags, wind meter,

And items can be used of course, they don't have to be new - just openly disclosed and in good enough shape to enjoy.

• Like 1

Sunglasses (certificates are good for this due to individual styles), outdoor gear, ground stakes, kite bags, wind meter,

And items can be used of course, they don't have to be new - just openly disclosed and in good enough shape to enjoy.

Yep, I'd hate to see this thing headed towards, "who can out-do who"? I don't think that's what was originally intended, nor should we feel that way. I can assure "ALL", that if I ever win, and I conduct my own Karma drawing, it won't be for a brand new kite (a kite maybe), and not that new is bad, but let's get real here. We don't have to "Give away the Ponderosa" or "Break the Bank", just to pass along the Karma, and no one expects us too .......... :ani_victory:

Just thinking out loud :cat_shy:

(and I'm sure that many, won't relate to that statement about the "Ponderosa")

• Like 2

Exactly right! Anything that might add to a kiter's enjoyment is kite related in my book!

• Like 2

my problem is a chronic inability to part with anything. it's like a hypersentamentality that makes me too attached to my stuff. that's why it was easier for me to offer something new (or a gift certificate for something new). analyzing the previous 2 prizes it seemed that $50 was proper. the extra subscription I offered was just my way of saying thanks to John for what he does. I was kind of hoping to start a trend there. having seen john's suggestion for non kite, but kiting related prizes, I have realized that I have several things I am willing to offer, now. I guess I'm just not creative enough. I really want to see this keep going, but it appears to me that fear of finding something to give for the next prize is keeping people from joining in. maybe we should set a value limit on prizes bought new for the drawing. that could encourage more participation. just some thoughts.

• Like 1

my problem is a chronic inability to part with anything. it's like a hypersentamentality that makes me too attached to my stuff. that's why it was easier for me to offer something new (or a gift certificate for something new). analyzing the previous 2 prizes it seemed that $50 was proper. the extra subscription I offered was just my way of saying thanks to John for what he does. I was kind of hoping to start a trend there. having seen john's suggestion for non kite, but kiting related prizes, I have realized that I have several things I am willing to offer, now. I guess I'm just not creative enough. I really want to see this keep going, but it appears to me that fear of finding something to give for the next prize is keeping people from joining in. maybe we should set a value limit on prizes bought new for the drawing. that could encourage more participation. just some thoughts.

I resemble that statement. My kite collection will become the hoard at some break over threshold in the near future. Then there's my other collections. But I did manage to sell two vehicles & only buy one recently. Then there's the Swiss Army Knife room to consider.

9/26/13 update - my wife eventually made up for it & purchased an extra car for her collection

• Like 2

Hey Barton,

My intentions were certainly not meant to criticize you, Gavin, or Rex, so far as what you all have done (for the Karma). Your gifts have all been, way beyond the call of duty, so to speak (very, very, nice). You should all be commended, on how you handled things. Who can possibly be critical of "new" kites, HOWEVER, and just as you alluded to above [fear of finding something to give for the next prize is keeping people from joining in], that could backfire on us, and become a deterrent to some. I too, was beginning to sense, that we should have had many more entries in these drawings, especially seeing as they are free give-a-ways, "BUT, with a catch". Very possibly, what you said, could be the cause. I'm sure that the next winner, will indeed feel pressure, not to let everyone down, by offering up a gift (Karma offering), that doesn't seem to measure-up, or out-do, the gift they have just received. This is the very reason that I said what I did in my previous post, when I mentioned that - I'd hate to see this thing headed towards a "who can out-do who", situation. Again, as I also mentioned previously, we simply don't have to "Give away the Ponderosa" or "Break the Bank", just to pass along the Karma, and I don't think that's what was initially intended........... Maybe we should ask for suggestions, as to how this thing should proceed ?? :ani_victory:

nick, I didn't feel like you were calling me out at all. I was just explaining how I came to choose what I was offering. I would totally go for a $50 limit on new things, or even less. the other side of the coin needs to be avoided as well. no one will want to be in if the prizes are junk. I am definitely interested in seeing what some other opinions are. this is way too cool of an idea to let wither away.

nick, I didn't feel like you were calling me out at all. I was just explaining how I came to choose what I was offering. I would totally go for a $50 limit on new things, or even less. the other side of the coin needs to be avoided as well. no one will want to be in if the prizes are junk. I am definitely interested in seeing what some other opinions are. this is way too cool of an idea to let wither away.

No problem.......understood completely.............again, just thinking out loud :ani_victory:

John's most likely right, just the fact that we discussed it here, is probably enuf said..........

I agree 100%, this thing is way too cool, to allow it to go by the wayside :ani_idea:

• Like 1

I agree with pretty much everything being said here. I think John is right and this discussion is going to help. I, for one, would love to see some more unique items go up. I have some ideas for future karma if I'm ever in the position to put up something again, but I'll have to work on them.

I have a bit of a challenge that may get this going in that direction. My challenge is (and I'm putting myself in it) to put something up that will get JB to join. I don't really think that anything I can buy at a kite shop will do it since he probably has more kites than most shops already. It will take something different. I know I failed this time, but if I gat another chance, watch out! :cat_biggrin:

• Like 4

I think we are all on the same page, here. We all want to be able, to please each other, and do good (Karma) in some small way, but we don't want to apply an imposition or burden, to anyone. This idea may not be perfect, but still REX, it is a great start, and we owe it all to YOU....... :big_beer:

Don't worry, this thing won't fail, or flounder. Somehow, things will settle down, and we'll manage to keep it going......... :)

• Like 1

Okay, Karma folks, I feel the need to say something as I am deeply troubled at what I'm seeing. There is a great prize being offered, and here we are nearly a week into it and only 3 people are in. I would like to pose a question: Are you sitting out because you don't want a Nexus or because you don't want to come up with a next prize that would match up to what has already been offered? If its the former, that's understandable and requires no explanation. if you don't want the kite, you don't want it. If it's the latter (as I suspect), then I would like to apologize as someone who may have contributed to that feeling with my prize. This is not about one-upping each other. This is about sharing with our fellow flyers. I promise that no one will criticize any offered prize. A $5 set of tails, a kite sleeve, an old book that has the word kite, whatever you want to offer, get in this drawing and if you win, offer it. I will be the first one to get in to win your prize and I will genuinely be excited at the opportunity to win it. This should not be stressful. We all just want to have fun and fellowship with our fellow kite flyers. So get in this drawing, win it, and pass the Karma on.

• Like 1

Okay, Karma folks, I feel the need to say something as I am deeply troubled at what I'm seeing. There is a great prize being offered, and here we are nearly a week into it and only 3 people are in. I would like to pose a question: Are you sitting out because you don't want a Nexus or because you don't want to come up with a next prize that would match up to what has already been offered? If its the former, that's understandable and requires no explanation. if you don't want the kite, you don't want it. If it's the latter (as I suspect), then I would like to apologize as someone who may have contributed to that feeling with my prize. This is not about one-upping each other. This is about sharing with our fellow flyers. I promise that no one will criticize any offered prize. A $5 set of tails, a kite sleeve, an old book that has the word kite, whatever you want to offer, get in this drawing and if you win, offer it. I will be the first one to get in to win your prize and I will genuinely be excited at the opportunity to win it. This should not be stressful. We all just want to have fun and fellowship with our fellow kite flyers. So get in this drawing, win it, and pass the Karma on.

Not your fault, for sure Barton, BUT, I think you've "nailed" the problem ....... I've had the very same concerns :cat_shifty:, because something's just not working. We should have people lined up to win (?) :cat_shifty:

• Like 1

A couple of thoughts...

One, a "catalog" product is pretty accessible, and many folks may already own it, or it may be a step down for their kite bag (said in the nicest possible way).

Two, there is something to be said for *sharing the link around* via Facebook, etc, so new folks see it... Other than the auto-post on KiteLife's page, I'm not sure fliers are sharing it directly with their buddies.

No stress, no fault, just dynamics at work. ;)

• Like 1

I would like to get clarification. Paid subscribers only or all forum members?

I just looked back at the original rules post and realized that this wasn't clear. I always intended this to be for all forum members, but would also like to point out that there are great benefits to being a subscriber, and supporting a site that supports kiters.

The tutorials alone are worth the price of admission..

• Like 1

I'm confused.............. :cat_shocked:

What is the difference in a "paid subscriber", and a "forum member" ?

I thought that you had to be a "paid subscriber" [period], to even participate (post) in the forum :cat_sick:

Is this not correct ???

What are you guys trying to clarify ?