KiteLife Forum

What to do about a tear

rexracer

This is one big wad of kite lines.

Imagine if it had been a quad set !

I'd need a bigger winder!! As it is, I may make a longer winder just so it won't take me as long to wind up those lines. Maybe a nice 16" job out of Cherry with a tongue oil finish.

This is one big wad of kite lines.

Imagine if it had been a quad set !

I'd need a bigger winder!! As it is, I may make a longer winder just so it won't take me as long to wind up those lines. Maybe a nice 16" job out of Cherry with a tongue oil finish.

Yep, it'll take a while to wind it up. I had a 150' set, that I made just to fly on the sand dunes. I used it a few times, but eventually chopped it down. Just takes too much time to wind it up. A longer winder should help that.............. :ani_victory:

I do a few walks (sans shame) any day out with a dual line, it happens, all part of the process.

It's not a bad thing, gives time to relax and replay mentally. ;)

Just like untangling lines... If you fight the situation or rush, it won't work.

Ommmmmm yeah baby. :)

• Like 3

I do a few walks (sans shame) any day out with a dual line, it happens, all part of the process. It's not a bad thing, gives time to relax and replay mentally. ;) Just like untangling lines... If you fight the situation or rush, it won't work. Ommmmmm yeah baby. :)

That's why I fly. It's relaxing and a great way to get out and enjoy nature. If I do need to make that walk, it's usually because I'm trying to do something I've never done. It also gives me a chance to look at the kite and make sure everything is good. I hope for some good wind tomorrow. My ex has my daughter (who I haven't gotten hooked,,,yet), and my new hypnotist is eyeballing me from across the room! If the wind is up, I plan on flying it after work right after I make a drop at UPS.

• Like 2

Early on I was touchy about having to walk to the kite so often. If I thought someone was watching I might pick the kite up & adjust it a bit just to make it seem deliberate some how. As I learned more ground recovery techniques I spent time dragging the kites all over the field. That was pretty funny to watch no doubt. I still walk to the kite more than most but have gotten to the point of realizing that most spectators don't have a clue as to what I'm doing anyway. The walk of shame has now kind of shifted to the time that I ponder what my next real intent might be.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Well it's been a little over a year since I wrote the 39th post on this repair thread. Now I have a little repair to do so I thought I would read this topic before proceeding. I will tape it on one side, glue it, & tape the remaining side. That ought to do it. Guess I could throw in a few stitches too if I get real inspired.

But I also thought a bit about walking to the kite. Some of my earliest walks involved getting on the bicycle, zig-zagging through the neighborhood looking for the line that got away with my precious little "Eye in the Sky" delta on the other end. Back then I did not even know it was a delta, it was just the kite with the big blood shot eyes that I loved so much. Many years later I got my first two line kite, a Premier AeroSport. My "standard lines" back then? Old Shanti Skybond, 150' of 200 pound test, Dacron exterior kernmantle line with a Kevlar core wrapped on a set of Sky Claws. Kite monkey on the other end saved a great deal of walking as we learned to fly the 3/4 sail kite. So now I am making new memories hopefully with no shame, just the joy of kites, same as when I was a kid.

• Like 2