KiteLife Forum

Help with side slides

Hasek

This past spring I decided to work on my side slides. I've been having a difficult time getting this down. I also think the side slide issue may be part of a more encompassing issue that I haven't figured out yet as to what it may be,

Here are my variables/situations:

- A B-standard and a Shockwave. I can't even come close to side sliding with the B, yet with the Shockwave I can do it for maybe 1/4th or 1/5th the window. I've tried various brake settings with me always going back to the know furthest away from the handles due to sail loading.

- My lines are equalized.

- I use small and smooth inputs.

_ I've watched JB's Side Slide vid a bunch. http://kitelife.com/forum/files/file/697-rev-tutorial-side-slide-hd-1280x720/

- Location, the area which I like to fly due to closeness is very choppy. I do have a spot right off the lake with stable winds, although I haven't been there in a while because they've been filming a movie and the ease to get to the park is a hassle until last week. I'd think the choppy wind location isn't helping anything.

Per JB's article "Flying With Intent" http://www.kitelife.com/tutorials/flying-with-intent/ , I am an "experience flier" with a small lean toward master. I don't crash and the rev in basic flight goes where I want it to; I am not reacting to the kite but rather it does what I want it to as far as up, down, left, right, basic hovers, etc.

What happens is I'll start the slide, generally I start left and go right, and with the B, almost immediately the right side turns down. So I'll use small inputs on the left and the slide will still not slide. Either the Rev still continues right side down or the kite goes right side up. I haven't been able to get the equilibrium.

I also believe whatever the cause of my lack of JB-ness is, also is the same thing that prevents me from inverted launches. Once I am 5-8 feet off the ground, the Rev wants to flip/rotate rather quickly.

Any thoughts?

Hi Hasek,

It may simply come down to lots more practice.

Sounds like you have the theory correct.

My Slides try to rotate too, I feather the brakes on the opposite wing to try to stop rotation. It takes lots of practice.

Also once I have the Rev starting to slide I try to increase power by loading the sail a bit more.

Keep at it Bro :)

• Like 2

Are your slides upright or inverted? Inverted, it sounds like you're keeping a bit too much "forward" on that left hand and maybe need to lighten that up! Use a little right hand control (either brake or drive) to keep that opposite side level! Remember to keep the opposite hand pulled back to keep the slide moving!

Practice!!

Lack of JB-ness!! Love it!! Got over 20 years in flying? Guess how many hours? Wouldn't we all like some JB-ness!

No substitute for time on the lines!! Period!! :ani_idea:

• Like 1

Uprights are harder IMHO!! Now you need to keep the right side driving a bit to keep it level and prevent that drooping! So a bit more forward on that hand, while pulling to initiate the slide!! And you might need some braking on the left for balance!! Letting that thumb fall forward is easy to do while pulling the handle!

Goes without saving of course ...Johns' and Guidos' videos are invaluable resources, both. Beginner right though to advanced ...still find myself going back to them from time to time.

If you take a look at both their videos on the move, you'll notice both of them have relaxed arms and take note of their handle position too. In that inverted slide the handles are more 'flat' than they might be when flying right way up.

I think John covers the subject of the kite wanting to turn as it traverses across the window very well. In the video he is 'giggling it for effect' or over exaggerating (says it himself) for demonstration purposes, 'adjust the trim' to prevent the kite from 'sliding up'

...it must be the way my own brain works but I always think no amount of words can suggest, better to see and then try it for yourself ...with time you'll develop your own style sure at the moment when I fly I might as well have my left handle in my front pocket and right in my back pocket when sliding right to left LOL :) But yeah low hands and flat-ish handles, whilst correcting the trim with the 'following' handle ...it'll come in time.

Inverted and regular (right side up) side slide ...when learning to get to grips with the Rev, I had found that I got the inverted slide long before I got the regular slide. But with that little bit more wind I started to get more comfortable doing the regular side slide ...not I can do either anywhere in the window on most wind strengths.

Definitely those choppy wind is not going to help ...but as ever if you learn or can side slide in those conditions, then when it comes to those smooth stuff you'll be inverted sliding with your eyes closed just an inch over the waters surfaces :)

BTW LOL 'JB-ness' ...where can we get that T-shirt!? :)

Chris

• Like 1

i can do them, but i seem to struggle with upright ones ALOT more than inverted slides.
Its all about pushing one handle pretty far forward,while twitching/feathering the trailing tip to keep it from rolling out.

Its tough, no doubt, but the key for me was all in the feathering/twitching of the trailing tip.

Upright? not even close. LOL

I also have more trouble upright. I had to watch the video again to see if JB does it, but I noticed that my slides go much better if the "front" of the kite (leading tip when sliding) is tilted a little uphill. Seems like even JB tilts his slides a little, so I guess I'm doing OK!

Hi Hasek,

It may simply come down to lots more practice.

Sounds like you have the theory correct.

My Slides try to rotate too, I feather the brakes on the opposite wing to try to stop rotation. It takes lots of practice.

Also once I have the Rev starting to slide I try to increase power by loading the sail a bit more.

Keep at it Bro :)

Ya, upright or inverted, key is to apply pressure to your trailing brake line, compensating for the kite's tendency to turn when you pull the other wing for a slide... I say give 'er, try it hard and fast, try it gradual, get the whole range. ;)

I also have more trouble upright. I had to watch the video again to see if JB does it, but I noticed that my slides go much better if the "front" of the kite (leading tip when sliding) is tilted a little uphill. Seems like even JB tilts his slides a little, so I guess I'm doing OK!

Aye, perfect parallel requires more focus and control...

Tipping the leading wing up is easier, gives it da ifferent style, and increases sail pressure (good for light wind). ;)