KiteLife Forum

Opinions on flying to music

rexracer

OK, Reef, if you want a challenge, go way back to Ummagumma and try flying to "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict".

Gotta be one of the strangest "songs" ever put on an album

• Like 2

OK, Reef, if you want a challenge, go way back to Ummagumma and try flying to "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict".

Quote (at half speed) - "That was pretty avant-garde, wasn't it?".............R. Waters

ps............Ok, not exactly flying music, nor my style ! I'll have to admit, I'm "Dark Side of the Moon", forward. And yes, that would be a pretty tough one, to fly to.

Quote (at half speed) - "That was pretty avant-garde, wasn't it?".............R. Waters

ps............Ok, not exactly flying music, nor my style ! I'll have to admit, I'm "Dark Side of the Moon", forward. And yes, that would be a pretty tough one, to fly to.

I agree on all counts, but I bet JB could come up with an awsome routine to it if he had a notion.

• Like 2

I agree on all counts, but I bet JB could come up with an awsome routine to it if he had a notion.

That would be a tough one, even for JB.......... :ani_wallbash: :ani_wallbash: :ani_wallbash:

• Like 1

A few days ago I was thinking about the first song I would try to fly to & had settled on a song from the same album, "Careful with that ax Eugene". I still listen to it every Halloween. Bought that album many years ago base strictly on the cover art. Lucky guess that was. Many years passed as Pink Floyd slowly gained momentum in the RockLife. Maybe the second song would be "Joan Crawford has risen from the grave" by BOC.....

• Like 1

Wow, Album art! That was an interesting cover. That was also the main reason I bought Queen-News of the World. Now with CD's and streaming music, I think the days of really artistic covers may be gone.

• Like 2

A few days ago I was thinking about the first song I would try to fly to & had settled on a song from the same album, "Careful with that ax Eugene". I still listen to it every Halloween. Bought that album many years ago base strictly on the cover art. Lucky guess that was. Many years passed as Pink Floyd slowly gained momentum in the RockLife. Maybe the second song would be "Joan Crawford has risen from the grave" by BOC.....

Hey Ralph,

"Eugene", and his ax, is one of the first songs, back in Rob's earlier post (#30). Might be a little different, than you are accustomed too, but still, it's PF........... :ani_victory:

Lee Sedgwick mentions flying to music in his recent Kitelife interview:

Get a stunt kite, learn how to fly it, I’d go with quad line because you can fly in a tighter area. Practice a bit. Music is very key to doing it, because you can get lost. You can be out there and flying and not think about all the other stuff.
  • Like 1

I think its all about taste and what your flavor is..... I tend to move towards a newer generation of music. I was raised on all the stuff described. These days I am rolling "slightly stoopid" acoustics or some reggae (new and old). If you have a connection with both kite and music,regardless of the style,good things will come from it!

• Like 2

That is yet another great thing about flying Revs. You can fly it to anything. Slow and smooth (if you're able) fast and swoopy, or quick and twitchy. And name me another kite that you can freeze on a mid song stop or pause, and start back up on the beat when the music continues!

That is yet another great thing about flying Revs. You can fly it to anything. Slow and smooth (if you're able) fast and swoopy, or quick and twitchy. And name me another kite that you can freeze on a mid song stop or pause, and start back up on the beat when the music continues!

Here, here.............. :big_beer: :big_beer: :big_beer:

Now, now. You can stop a dual line kite dead in its tracks, and then bang it back into motion at will. It just takes a little more foot work to achieve the same effect. Duals are easier to fly to a driving beat, though. I agree that you could fly a quad to any music you could think of. Without having to run down the field...

• Like 3

Now, now. You can stop a dual line kite dead in its tracks, and then bang it back into motion at will. It just takes a little more foot work to achieve the same effect. Duals are easier to fly to a driving beat, though. I agree that you could fly a quad to any music you could think of. Without having to run down the field...

We are all, not quite as good as you are ............ :big_beer:

If you flew your dual line kites as much as you flew your Revs you would be ! :cat_lol:

• Like 1

If you flew your dual line kites as much as you flew your Revs you would be ! :cat_lol:

Thanks for the compliment, but, NOT ! I'm just not a trickster ! More of a cruiser, and I like lots of wind !

No, I wouldn't. The only reason I can do half of the stuff I can with a Rev is because of John's tutorials. I've watched some tutorials on stunting 2 line kites, but so far I havn't gotten very far. I just got a Hypnotist, and to be fair, it flies much differently than my old Premier Ventura. I may be able to get somewhere with that kite. If I get a chance to go out to the island I may have to look you up and hit you up for some pointers. I do have a measure on the north shore pretty soon...

Earlier in this topic I noticed some stating they do listen to music but make sure they can also hear what's going on around them. That is ultra important, especially in some areas more than others.

Two summers ago a guy from my area that hangs out at the same r/c plane forum I do was flying at a public park and got mugged of his wallet and r/c radio while flying. He said he was listening to tunes. Granted I would think the avg. Joe wouldn't know the value of kites compared to an r/c radio and even if Jack didn't have fully inserted ear phones he very well may have still been robbed.

Not factoring in Jack's lost $400 radio, any kite flier listening to tunes with fully inserted ear plugs I would imagine is an easier target for a mugger and I'd also think that most of us fly with our wallets on us.

Point is anytime/anywhere the more aware of your surroundings you are, you increase the possibility of avoiding badness.

Earlier in this topic I noticed some stating they do listen to music but make sure they can also hear what's going on around them. That is ultra important, especially in some areas more than others.

Two summers ago a guy from my area that hangs out at the same r/c plane forum I do was flying at a public park and got mugged of his wallet and r/c radio while flying. He said he was listening to tunes. Granted I would think the avg. Joe wouldn't know the value of kites compared to an r/c radio and even if Jack didn't have fully inserted ear phones he very well may have still been robbed.

Not factoring in Jack's lost $400 radio, any kite flier listening to tunes with fully inserted ear plugs I would imagine is an easier target for a mugger and I'd also think that most of us fly with our wallets on us.

Point is anytime/anywhere the more aware of your surroundings you are, you increase the possibility of avoiding badness.

Excellent Point :ani_rtfm: , and you nailed it, so far as "remaining aware of your surroundings !".

Personally, I don't fly in too many places, where I'm not very familiar with the surroundings. Even then, I usually take only one, maybe two kites, out with me, at a time, simply because I'm normally able to park very close by, should I want to change. At times, when I do carry my entire kite bag, containing kites, as well as personal items, onto a field, I always place my bag, well out in front of me (15 - 20 feet), rather than behind me, just so I can keep an eye on things. I'm sure there are many, that fly in places, that could be questionable, from a safety standpoint ! It's always prudent, to constantly scan your surroundings, and if things don't look right, just leave, :thumbdown: The wind will blow another day............ :huh:

• Like 2