KiteLife Forum

Quad Handles and the right REV

Michael E. Allen

I noticed there are different handles and different lengths. Could someone tell me the difference in them?

I am in the market for a REV so if you have one that fits the items listed below please let me know.

I was also wondering what might be the right REV for me to buy as a starter kite for me.

I'm looking for one that will fly in wind of 2 to 20 mph and not break at the first impact.

First thing, crashes are nowhere near as bad as they 1) sound and 2) look. Main thing if you going to crash is give to the kite. That is, push both arms out towards the kite, take a couple of steps towards the kite or both. This takes the wind pressure out of the sails and takes the power with it. When I first flew my EXP, that first crash I thought "that's it I've stuffed it" but it and I survived.

Handles: The longer the handle the more amplification your hand movements have on the kite. Think the greater arc of a circle. Rev handles are measured by the length of the rod used NOT the length between the tips. Most common on 1.5's is 13". Smaller handles for the "faster kites" eg B2 and Speed series. Bigger handles for lighter winds.

Most pilots start off with a Standard, full sail, then a Vtd or full vented. This covers a huge wind range. A standard will go to 20 but that is very high and you risk stretching the sail. That's a one way street. My little B2 Std will do that range but it wouldn't be ideal as a first Rev.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

My suggestion, for a first Rev, would be a standard 1.5 SLE, especially if you are looking for something tough, that can take a licking and keep on kicking. Your wind range will be in the 4 - 20 mph range, but being new at this, it will probably take you a little more than 4 mph, to get started (8 is ideal for beginning). I also see (I think) that the new, 1.5 SLE's, now come with two leading edge frames - the old 7/16" SLE (super leading edge), plus a regular sized, 1/4", 3-wrap leading edge. I think that is what it says, but I'm sure someone will correct me, if that is wrong. If not, you would do good to get a regular sized, 1/4" 3-wrap leading edge, to switch to, once you get past the crash and boom period. This will make the kite a lot more versatile, and will then be able to fly is lighter winds. Take a look, over on the Revolution website......... http://www.revkites.com/kite-product/revolution-1-5-sle-standard

As for the handle question, I believe that the standard handles are 13", usually related to the 1.5 Revs. Then you will find 11" handles pretty standard on the Rev II's & B2's. There are also 15" handles, and probably even more, but the reason for the different lengths is the input to the kite. Shorter handles yield shorter, or smaller inputs to the kite, while a longer handle will deliver larger inputs. Hope that makes sense...............and good luck......... (sounds like it's time to go shopping) :cat_lol:

• Like 1

The above is good info.

I've seen rods broken, but all were due to flying in too much wind. One breakage was a race rod frame set and a full sail being flown in 20 + mph wind ... one of the vertical rods exploded. The other breakage was a 4-wrap in a full vent with 30 + mph wind ... one of the lines hung up and the kite spun into the ground at a 45 degree angle breaking the leading edge rod. So, don't push the wind range of your kite and you'll probably never break a rod. If rods were too fragile and too expensive, you'd see less of a willingness for folks to lend their kites to others to fly.

Buy the standard 13 inch handles for your 1.5 Rev. Those are what 99% of the Rev fliers use ... must be for a reason ... yes? Plus, it'll make it easier to fly in a group ... iQuad uses the same 13 inch length handles, line weight, and frame sets when they perform. I've got 15", 13", 11", and even a 9" set of handles ... I use the 13" set 99.9% of the time.

Understand that there is not a single Rev kite that will handle all the normal wind conditions you'll encounter. If you get hooked on Revs, you'll need a minimum of a full sail and a full vent to cover the majority of the wind range you'll encounter. It doesn't matter which one you buy first, the wind on the day it arrives will be wrong for that kite. Some one needs to do a PhD thesis on why that happens. So, pick one and live with the reduced flying time that that choice yields. Or, jump in with both feet and buy both kites now. If you really fall in love with flying Revs, the rest will come naturally. And, you'll find your personal favorite ... I usually ask myself not "which kite is appropriate for today's wind" but "can I fly my mid-vent in this wind."

Oh yes, the 180GO! Rev team uses SLE sails with 1/4" frame sets, so don't get too hung up on the SLE/B-series/Pro series question. Focus on which will give you the best value for your price point. The B-series comes with two frame sets which increases the wind range of each sail, so it generally gets the "good value" nod from most folks.

Enjoy,

Tom

Hey Tom, I bet we've really got him confused now ! :cat_lol:

Just kidding Michael.........We are all, simply trying to help, in our on special ways :ani_rtfm:

I'm sure you'll hear a lot of other opinions, and they will all be good, but you've surely got a good starting point, already!

Oh, and there's little chance, that you won't get hooked ! One day, when you have that perfect wind, and you have learned how to manage your lines, and they unwind for you perfectly, and everything goes great, and finally, you see that Rev in the sky, and you realize, that you've, more or less, got control, you'll be hooked :cat_biggrin:

• Like 1

Handles - almost every 1.5 package has some sort of 13" handles with it! The "B" package has the longer knotted top leaders, so if you go one of the other routes, I'd look to make some much like that! But that length is the standard for the 1.5 size sail!

Lots of sail choices - EXP, SLE, "B", "B"pro (all in 1.5 size), the SLE or "B" is probably the best place to start, and on a standard sail!

SLE sail - Put the bigger SLE rods in your bag (if you go that route) and use the 3 wrap 1/4" frame!! More than strong enough for learning on and it provides much better control!!

Pros - cheaper initial investment. Most packages have everything to fly - kite, lines, handles, only thing you need is a stake!

Cons - Older sail design, only 1 frame, not long top leaders on handles. I've never used the SLE rods, that's why I said 1 frame!

"B" series sail - All the modifications have been put in this model, better materials, sail cut, rod placement, etc.! Very nice!

Pros - better material, 2 complete frame sets for increased wind range, handles with longer top leaders.

Cons - Many packages DON'T include lines (you may have to buy some separately), and a bit more of an initial investment! But just the extra frame justifies the extra expense!

Tom is right about the 2 rev system (STD + VENT) - you'll find with the proper frame in your sail on any given day, one of the 2 will handle just about any conditions! An added bonus is that once you've bought the package for your first kite, you can get any future kites as "kite only" and save a bunch!! So say you've bought a "B: std with 2+3 wrap frames, you then can get a vented with a 4 wrap and have 2 sails and 3 frames to combo with!

Either model is a great learning tool - get the best you can afford is my recommendation! Keeping in mind you're shooting for 2 sails!!

Happy choices!!

I thank everyone for the info.

Here is another question, what is the best sail material for the REV. Only reason I ask is I have seen different material on different models. I'm just trying to get as much info as I can in my head before I buy my first one.

Oh yeah and as far as me being confused I seem to stay that way till I learn as much as I can. So all the great info you all have given me is helping me out believe it or not. I dont mind being razzed its all in good fun.

But I am confused a little about the frame sets, do all frame sets fit all sails? Can I buy additional frame sets and if so where? Thanks

Here is another question, what is the best sail material for the REV. Only reason I ask is I have seen different material on different models. I'm just trying to get as much info as I can in my head before I buy my first one.

But I am confused a little about the frame sets, do all frame sets fit all sails? Can I buy additional frame sets and if so where? Thanks

Yes and No !

As for sail material, "Revolution Kites", the company, pretty much determines what material is used, and in what models, so just go with whatever, your choice of kites, happens to be made with. No problems, there......and you shouldn't have to concern yourself with that.............

As for rods..........

All Rev I rods, fit all Rev I's

All Rev 1.5 rods, fit all of the Rev 1.5's

and

All Rev II rods, fit all of the Rev II's & B2's

That's the three main size Revs, until you get up into the power and speed series............

And yes, you can buy additional frames, most anywhere that sells Revs.........

That is correct on frames - all in the model size are interchangeable, ie. , 2,3,4 wrap 1.5 frames swap from sail to sail! All Rev 1 frames interchange on any Rev 1, etc.!

SLEs are made from nylon material, "B"s are made from ripstop polyester! Poly is lighter, holds shape longer, resists water better!! Partly why "B"s cost a bit more! Nylon is strong, has some water resistance, but stretches with time, and it loses that "crisp" feeling after a while!

SLEs are made from nylon material, "B"s are made from ripstop polyester!

The SLE is also rip-stop material.......... "rip-stop high-grade nylon", according to Rev.

Again, Michael, you probably should just take a look at the "products link", over on the Revolution website http://www.revkites.com/

It shows all the details and specifications, for all of their kites........... Look in particular at the SLE, and then under the Signature Series, take a look at the "B-series". Now the "B-series Pros", are going to be custom kites, and somewhat in another league. Likewise, they will be a bit more pricey, and probably would be better suited for you, once you have mastered the basics, like not crashing. :cat_lol: Just kidding, but you probably don't need a Pro, to learn on............

I started on a Full Sail Pro-B for my first, and while the first few crashes looked and sounded horrible, and my heart cracked a little bit each time, i soon had it figured out and the smile never left my face since.
They are strong, durable, and most enjoyable.
Nothing like it, as far as im concerned.

• Like 1

I started on a Full Sail Pro-B for my first, and while the first few crashes looked and sounded horrible, and my heart cracked a little bit each time, i soon had it figured out and the smile never left my face since.

They are strong, durable, and most enjoyable.

Nothing like it, as far as im concerned.

Sounds great ! I likewise, self-taught, myself, and (knock on wood) have never broken, or cracked a spar, nor torn a sail. Lucky, I suppose. And for sure, no disagreement from here. If you've got the nerve, and you've got the bucks, nothing wrong with learning on the very best out there, and I don't think it gets any better than a B-Pro.

(and yes, that first crash will definitely get your attention - something inside will tell you - don't do that, again) :ani_victory:

... I am confused a little about the frame sets, do all frame sets fit all sails? Can I buy additional frame sets and if so where? ...

Those dealers who sell lots of Revs will have both individual rods and full frame sets for sale. One of the most informative dealer websites is Ken Kingston's "A Wind of Change" site. Here's a http://www.awindofchange.com/product/rev-15-comp-frames.html'>hotlink to his page on Rev frame sets. It might help you answer some of your questions. Surf around for some of his other pages to see if any other info will help.

Cheers,

Tom

Here's a thought/opinion for your consideration:

Ever bought something that was very expensive for you, and consequently, you were worried that it'd get scratched or broken? That item didn't/doesn't really get used!!

I've got an eclectic collection of Revs and I can honestly attest that they are all great. But, I fly some more than others. The Pro-series mid-vent is my favorite ... but, it was one of the first made and doesn't have all the neat tricks that Bazzer is now adding. So, I tend to treat it without much respect. And, my second favorite is my "McKite" SUL ... it's got slits in both the screen and the fabric, stitches that have been worn through, patches, and the ends of the leading edges are frayed like hell. I fly that kite like I hate it ... it's replacement is on the shelf waiting for it's demise. I have more fun and learn more on those two kites 'cuz I'm not worried about what happens to them.

Buy a Rev that doesn't stretch your budget. Then treat it like a disposable item - although they do seem to last forever - and I am suggesting that you'll have more fun and learn quicker.

Cheers,

Tom

• Like 2

As far as lasting forever? Idk about that... It all depends on the conditions and your forethought. I fly daily..like I stole it... On a b standard, it lasted about 4 months..with regular cleaning and maintenance. Now this is ALL conditions, whether 20+ or 0 ...it was going in the air.....some stack play in strong winds also.

All frames are very durable on their ranges....

push that and risk breakage.

Handles can be compensated for through leaders to a point... I run 1:5 handles on everything .

As far as lasting forever? Idk about that... It all depends on the conditions and your forethought. I fly daily..like I stole it... On a b standard, it lasted about 4 months..with regular cleaning and maintenance. Now this is ALL conditions, whether 20+ or 0 ...it was going in the air.....some stack play in strong winds also. All frames are very durable on their ranges.... push that and risk breakage. Handles can be compensated for through leaders to a point... I run 1:5 handles on everything .

4 months??? I've got a Rev 1 almost 15 years old! Don't abuse them and they last fine !! Beat the crap outta them and sure, they'll fail! That's why most Rev-heads have several sails, to put up the correct one for the wind conditions!!

I bought the Std sail SLE package because I thought the "B" was out of my price range. I flew it for 2 hours and ordered a B full vent with race rods and the travel rods because I was going on a trip. The Pro "snagless" handles are MUCH better than the std handles that came with the SLE, and I only use those. The STD handles are waiting for a snagless upgrade.

I fly the SLE more because of my wind conditions...I need the full sail more often. If you always fly on the beach and the wind is generally higher, I might go for the mid vent. I enjoy my full vent the most, and if I was doing it again, I would go for the B right off the bat. The Vented B is a blast with race rods once the wind hits about 10 mph or so.

I've never used the SLE rod and usually fly with race rods, but I had the vented up one day when the wind was 20-25mph with gusts to 35 or so, and I wished I had the SLE rod with me...the 3 wrap was taking a beating.

I thank everyone for there comments and advice and the links that everyone posted. It has helped out alot.

After much research I think I have figured out what I am looking to buy. Which would be the following.

REV 1.5 or B model with a rip stop poly full sail. " with a SLE and a 3 wrap "

REV 13in. handles with line adjustment's

LPG Line set of 80# and 120ft or something close to that.

I think this would be a good start for me if you think I might benefit from something different please let me know.

So if someone has a used set up like this that they would be willing to sell please PM me. :matrix:

Thanks, Mike

I thank everyone for there comments and advice and the links that everyone posted. It has helped out alot.

After much research I think I have figured out what I am looking to buy. Which would be the following.

REV 1.5 or B model with a rip stop poly full sail. " with a SLE and a 3 wrap "

REV 13in. handles with line adjustment's

LPG Line set of 80# and 120ft or something close to that.

I think this would be a good start for me if you think I might benefit from something different please let me know.

So if someone has a used set up like this that they would be willing to sell please PM me. :matrix:

Thanks, Mike

Mike, You can't get the B-series, with a SLE (super leading edge). You've got to decide if you want a 1.5 SLE, or a 1.5 B-series. Then you've got to pick whether you want a standard (full) sail, a mid-vent, or a full vent. Either is a great choice. Quit worrying about what the sail is made out of. You are going to get, whatever Revolution uses to make the model you choose. You can't pick that. Just decide which kite you want and buy the package deal, which will include the correct handles, etc. Then get yourself a set of lines, either 85' x 90#, or 120' x 90#. Either will be great, and when you buy the Rev package, they will suggest a line. Pick one...........you can't go wrong............. :ani_victory:

• Like 2

If you get a used kite, you never know what you might get accessory wise, but if you need to buy a line set, and it's in your budget and you have the time, consider buying a bulk spool and sleeving. Then you can make sets of different lengths. Though flying 120' lines is a blast, I find myself using 50' lines a lot because of the wind conditions here. I definitely get more flying in with different length line sets.

• Like 2

That is correct on frames - all in the model size are interchangeable, ie. , 2,3,4 wrap 1.5 frames swap from sail to sail! All Rev 1 frames interchange on any Rev 1, etc.!

SLEs are made from nylon material, "B"s are made from ripstop polyester! Poly is lighter, holds shape longer, resists water better!! Partly why "B"s cost a bit more! Nylon is strong, has some water resistance, but stretches with time, and it loses that "crisp" feeling after a while!

Reef runner, thanks for your advice.

The only reason I brought up the sail is, from what everyone is telling me the poly is better and lighter. I have went to the revolution web site and it does say rip stop nylon. But I have not figured out if you can order the kite from there site unless it is in the masterpiece collection. It does have a link to find store so I clicked it and have found a few online shops from there find a store link that sell the 1.5 SLE with a poly sail at least that's how it is advertised. (1.5m SLE) So If I don't have a lot of extra money laying around because I am medically retired and I dont have a lot of expendable income It would make sense to me to buy the best quality I can afford. If you were in my position I think you would want the best product you could afford also. That is if the poly is that much better because they use it in the B models.

Still doing research, someday REV owner Mike

I'm a bit confused now!! A 1.5 SLE with poly sail? Not normal, but available in a few stores as a custom! Yes, "B"s are all poly! Put an SLE rod set in a "B", and you might be ostracized for violating an unwritten rule about that!!

So what I think you're after is either a 1.5 SLE sail with 3 wraps frame, handles without leaders, and 80' x 90# lines!

Or a "B" with 2 frames, better handles/leaders, need lines!! 80' or 120' will do!

Clearer?

There are several good dealers on Revs list - The Kite Shoppe, AWOC. The Kite Connection, etc! I've dealt with the three I mentioned - great service from them all!

• Like 1

The 1.5 full sail that I got has a Poly sail. It is a custom that was made for the Berkeley Kite Festival, and Tom had them specifically made with the better sail. I would've bought it anyway, it was just an added bonus. One thing that made a huge difference in my flying was to dump the 120' lines for 75' lines. I know 120s are the standard, but I never fly with anyone and really don't have the room for long lines where I fly. The 120s seemed to delay my inputs and be more difficult to keep the kite going in lighter conditions. It's hard for me to really tell, though, as I haven't flown on the 120s since I got the shorter lines. I wouldn't recommend 120s as a first lineset, though. I think they slowed my learning in the beginning.

• Like 2