KiteLife Forum

Nothing but Light Wind...

RobB

There's been nothing but light wind or off-shore garbage wind for months here. I went out with the intention of getting some footage for the current round of VF, but the wind let me down. Still had a good couple of hours out flying... until it got too hot ! It's only June, I'm all ready starting to melt... Can't wait for September !

This video's a SkyBurner ProDancer SUL. Hands down, the best outdoor no wind/light wind kite I've ever flown. It's an old design, so it's not very tricky... as a matter of fact, I can't get any tricks at all out of it. But it does give a strong pull on the lines in wind that doesn't even register on my wind meter.

The wind came up a little for a while, maybe all the way up to 2mph ! So this was my best attempt at getting tricks for the contest. The Sea Devil SUL is the lightest kite I have that can do tricks, so here it goes...

http://vimeo.com/69441474

A little Pink Floyd thrown in for those who like that kinda thing !

* Edit... uToob blocked the Floyd... uploading to Vimeo...

View on Vimeo.

• Like 5

Thanks Rob! It really helps me to see a skilled pilot fly in very light wind. Many times I flown in very light wind & just keeping it in the air can be my best trick.

Thanks Rob! It really helps me to see a skilled pilot fly in very light wind. Many times I flown in very light wind & just keeping it in the air can be my best trick.

Thanks... I tried to get in the frame a little to show the movements. The ProDancer is very twitchy, I think it needs to be tuned. You can see that in the side slide attempts. The only other outdoor SUL kite that I have that flies easily in that little wind is the 4D, but it's half the size of the PD. Other SULs require a lot more foot work.

Seeing the pilot especially helps. I fly my 4D so much that I am sure it will be the first kite retired due to heavy use. I have been pondering a Pro Dancer for some time. I have come to realize that twitchy is my style at this point in my KiteLife.

Great videos (and music)........... :ani_whistling:

That is one rocky beach you are flying on !

Probably not the best place to fly, if you're prone to crashes :ani_wallbash: (but I realize you are way past that)

Good Stuff Rob ! Good Stuff !

That's what passes for sand here in New England! :cat_shocked:

Probably not the best place to fly, if you're prone to crashes :ani_wallbash: (but I realize you are way past that)

That's what passes for sand here in New England! :cat_shocked:

Well, you probably don't have problems, with sand getting into your end caps either, I suppose :cat_lol:

This is what I call sand !

post-4670-0-42099700-1372699591_thumb.jp post-4670-0-45432600-1372699534_thumb.jp

I was born in California, and spent some of my childhood in Idaho. When my family moved out here to the east coast imagine my suprise when I went to the "ocean" and saw that for sand, and no waves. I was used to Half Moon Bay for beach days. Don't even get me started on what passes for a mountain out here. :doh:

• Like 1

Seeing the pilot especially helps. I fly my 4D so much that I am sure it will be the first kite retired due to heavy use. I have been pondering a Pro Dancer for some time. I have come to realize that twitchy is my style at this point in my KiteLife.

My son has beaten the 4D to what I'd consider 'poor' condition, but it still flies. I was good for him, because a full sized kite would've overpowered him when he started. I would recommend the ProDancer if you just want to fly. If you want to trick, too, keep looking to the Ocius or Aura SUL.

Very nice, great lighting. :)

Thanks, John, I take what I get, this was just luck of the draw...

Always love your vids, these two were no exception. Thanks and nice work.

Thanks, WS. I'd love to see some flying from your neck of the woods...

Nick, that's the north shore for ya ! New England sent us all their cr@p in the last glacier ! Our south shore beaches are wide & have that perfect sugar sand. I just never take the time to travel, I just want to fly !

Were you pushing both lines while flying down to regain ground or to maintain consistent speed? Also what kind of sunglasses do you wear flying straight into the sun?

I was loading my arms for the sweep back as the kite climbs. If you use a large arm sweep, you don't have to walk as much. It's just my way of keeping my place in the field. The wide angle makes the close up stuff look wonky, it would've been easier to see if the camera was right behind me. Glasses ? I wear either Revos or RayBans, I couldn't say what I grabbed that day.

I was born in California, and spent some of my childhood in Idaho. When my family moved out here to the east coast imagine my suprise when I went to the "ocean" and saw that for sand, and no waves. I was used to Half Moon Bay for beach days. Don't even get me started on what passes for a mountain out here. :doh:

Totally agree... east coast mountains are lame ! As far as beaches, Fire Island out to Montauk, LI's south shore beaches are world class. Unless you need mountains in the scene, too ! :ani_whistling:

• Like 1