KiteLife Forum

Silverfox 2.5 Ultralight

Chikokishi

I own the silverfox 2.5 Ultralight, and i have seen many videos of people flying this kite is such slow weather that lakes dont have ripples on them or anything. I dont see them walking around very much, or trying to run with it. However, when i try to fly the kit, unless there is enough wind to take it up (which is like.. 5+mph i would bet) i cant keep it off the ground. But with wind like that this kite starts buzzing and is just uncontrolable. Any tips or places i can go to figure out how to fly this thing in little to no wind like its meant for?

• Like 1

Is this your first dual line? I feel like it took me 40+ hours to really get a feel for flying at the bottom of the wind range and I still struggle as my stalls aren't as stable as they could be. If you feel like you can fly other kites near the bottom of their wind range but not this one I would suggest the bridal needs some adjustment or something else isn't configured correctly on the kite.

Hey Chikokishi,

What length lines are you using ? That kite should fly in less than 5mph, at least on short lines. Get a set of 50'-60' 90# lines... shorties make a big difference when you're looking for a couple of mph lower.

You could have an issue with lack of ground-wind... does it fly better if you get it up 15-20 feet ?

My areas have terrible wind, i know that already.. its hilly at best. I dont know my line length, but they are shorter lines i think, i will measure them when i can. Typically either the kite does not fly, or when i pull it it flies up to the top of the window. If the wind dies itll float back to the ground. Ill find out more about my lines tomorrow for you. Sorry, im new to kiting, so i probably sound kind of dumb :). I got this kite a year or two ago and iv flown it as much as possible.. its just the wind here will rage at 15 then be still withen minutes and i hardly find good days.

As you progress through your flying skills, you will find a need for several different line sets! Short, light lines, longer heavier lines! When I flew dual lines most of the time, I had 3 kites,1 for light wind, 1 for medium, 1 for strong, and each had it's own preferred line set! When I started, I had no idea that line weight and length could have so much effect on performance! Always thought it was the kites fault!! If at all possible, get together with other fliers, share ideas, experiences, you might learn faster!! But there's always the forum to ask!!!!

My areas have terrible wind, i know that already.. its hilly at best. I dont know my line length, but they are shorter lines i think, i will measure them when i can. Typically either the kite does not fly, or when i pull it it flies up to the top of the window. If the wind dies itll float back to the ground. Ill find out more about my lines tomorrow for you. Sorry, im new to kiting, so i probably sound kind of dumb :). I got this kite a year or two ago and iv flown it as much as possible.. its just the wind here will rage at 15 then be still withen minutes and i hardly find good days.

It's all good - we love questions here, and I especially love "new" kite minds because I get to vicariously learn all over again, over and over - keep the curiosity flowing! :)

Turbulent wind makes flying harder with any kite, especially wide-ratio trick kites like the Silver Fox... Kites with less depth in the sail, or a steeper aspect ratio will tend to be much more stable in less than ideal conditions.

You may be able to compensate a bit by raising your bridle points (nose moves away) by 1/8" to 1/2", this increases lift and makes the kite less sensitive, although it does reduce pull and pressure.

Also, the Silver Fox is a heavy kite and pretty flexible (not good for generating drive)... I wasn't happy with mine in less than 4mph, and had to be both very active and on point with my inputs to keep it really going in 3mph or less... Just my own experience.

• Like 1

Re-reading, the SUL did a little better for me in light wind, but I still found it required a lot of attention to line tension in 3 mph or less.

Conversely, a kite like the Pro Dancer or Ocius generates a lot of drive and feels sure about where it's going.

Hi guys, sorry i was unable to pull the kite out today and see what my lines were. How can i tell what weight they are? Iv been looking for a decent place to fly, the only pretty parks here are completely sheltered by trees, and the ones that arnt are made out of really jagged rocks and such. There is one park in the middle of a golfcourse that is decent, only issue there being that the wind shifts directions every few minutes. Tomorrow i will hopefully have a chance to grab my lines and such. Thanks for your interest.

It's all good - we love questions here, and I especially love "new" kite minds because I get to vicariously learn all over again, over and over - keep the curiosity flowing! :)

Turbulent wind makes flying harder with any kite, especially wide-ratio trick kites like the Silver Fox... Kites with less depth in the sail, or a steeper aspect ratio will tend to be much more stable in less than ideal conditions.

You may be able to compensate a bit by raising your bridle points (nose moves away) by 1/8" to 1/2", this increases lift and makes the kite less sensitive, although it does reduce pull and pressure.

Also, the Silver Fox is a heavy kite and pretty flexible (not good for generating drive)... I wasn't happy with mine in less than 4mph, and had to be both very active and on point with my inputs to keep it really going in 3mph or less... Just my own experience.

More wisdom from The Teacher. I am listening & now understand more of what the adjustments are doing. Thanks

• Like 1