KiteLife Forum

Roadside flying

SHBKF

As I have become more proficient I have started flying along the sides of roads where there seemed to be little opportunities to get in some air time. We just returned from a trip to Glacier National Park. A long time desire was fulfilled, driving the famous "Going to the Sun Road". Since I've embraced the KiteLife I took a good selection of kites with us. The turn out over Saint Mary's Lake was empty & the wind was up. Pulled over, assembled the Micron & flew on 50' x 50 lb lines. It was a 177' foot drop off the cliff down to the water so I did not want to use a bigger kite. Plus the Micron handles the gusts well with lines singing along with some shuddering leading edges. So at times I had my kite at about 200' above the lake. Of course you have to be careful about others stopping to park or just driving by. Hopefully I did not startle anyone. I have flown in quite a few spontaneous locations this year & wonder if others do this too. The cliff is in the three o'clock position in the second photo.

post-7709-0-61625500-1372903574_thumb.jppost-7709-0-87519200-1372903831_thumb.jp Google Earth location 48 41' 18.98" N 113 33' 27.14" W

• Like 5

Great Story and awesome Pics Dayhiker.

Do you worry you might distract a driver?

Yes, I do worry a bit about distracting drivers. I don't fly over the road & when I hear a car approaching I fly to the side of the window away from the traffic going into a slow turn or a stall. I have not flown in any locations with heavy traffic. On the same trip I was flying in a large field in a campground in Kentucky not too far from Fort Knox. A U.S. Army Blackhawk helicopter came by to check me out. That was sort of strange. Don't know how he found me. I was flying a HQ Shadow on 65' lines at the time. He came in at tree top level right at me & flared into a hover before flying off slowly.

• Like 2

I have had the helicopter issue quite a few times..base nearby and flying on the coast.

As far as roadside, you would be suprised how many people just ignore it or don't even acknowledge what is going on.

I fly in a lot that is near a major bridge off ramp and near a lighted fork in the road..... I have yet too see any issues,other than the occasional slow driver.

Google Earth location 48 41' 18.98" N 113 33' 27.14" W

Perfect ! Spot on ! :dual:

You should be able to copy & paste the numbers into the Google Earth search box. I was working in the garage today & came across my floppy copy of Windows 3 Auto map. It was a break-through program that actually was useful for planning trips. I used to run it on a SX386 with 2MB of ram using a graphics mono monitor & printed trip directions, with maps, on my 24 pin Epsom printer. That's been a few years. We have come a long way baby.

Google Earth location

Perfect ! Spot on ! :dual:

You should be able to copy & paste the numbers into the Google Earth search box.

Oh yes, it works.........takes you right to the pull off, on the "Going to the Sun Road" ! Neat place............ :ani_victory:

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

It is the perfect way to blow off steam ! I frequently stop on my ride home for a quicky-fly.

And CV was right, the kite in the picture is a Prophecy...

I stop at this spot whenever I'm going by, and the wind is up... even though kite flying is prohibited.

NoKitesNYC.jpg

One of the signs posted at the rest area / scenec overlook.

AcrobatxVerrazano%20029.jpg

The first kite I won as a Kitelife subscriber prize...

P1080199.JPG

Another Prism kite at the same site...

P1050685.JPG

And SR, this is my 'Lix, not at the same spot...

• Like 4

There's plenty of room out in the outer Boroughs, these were taken in Brooklyn.

Here's one from the other side, in Staten Island...

P1060716.JPG

That's the Verrazano Bridge, I believe it is still the longest suspension bridge in the world. Pretty cool, except for the $15 (!) toll to cross. The funny thing is how abandoned these beaches are...

• Like 4

So Rob, what's up with the "No Kites" sign. Why would they care ? :ani_victory:

Well, here's the thing... as explained to me by the nice NYPD officers who pointed the signs out to me... :cat_shocked:

Kites can be unpredictable and accidentally land on the highway (which is only 150' away). The two of them had never seen a sport kite, and watched me fly for about 15 minutes until they approached me. They said that back in the day (when kites were popular) that there were dozens of kites flown at that site, and a few went into the roadway, causing havoc. They had no problem with me flying there, because they realized the kite was totally under control and there was no possibility of it going into the road, but they said the next officer to come along might give me a ticket. I've flown there numerous times in the last 10 years, never any trouble.

The attached photo is from the parking area at that spot... also check out the tell-tail ribbon attached to the 'No Kite Flying' sign. That way, when you pull up, you know what the wind's doing ! :cat_lol:

post-786-0-29110100-1387238214_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yep, I immediately noticed the "tell-tale"........And I knew exactly what it was there for :cat_lol:

Now just to get clear on this, it is, "tell-tale", as in, it tells the "tale", of whatever is going on !

or,

per Wikipedia - a tell-tale, or telltale, is an indicator, signal, or sign that conveys the status of a situation, mechanism, or system, and in this case - the wind direction.

I know, I know, but I just had to throw that in......... :bye1:(Merry Christmas everyone)

• Like 1

In the electrical trade we know them as "Tell-tails" and they are used to give feedback as to whether or not the "Tail drum" or non driven end of a conveyor is rotating.

SR.......not that this is important, but it is interesting.......(and yes, I suppose we are hijacking someone's topic here)

Anyway, I wonder if your "tell tail" reference, used in your (trade) application, isn't some sort of industry specific, "evolution" of words, and/or spelling. Even though it is a direct reference, to your so-called "tail drum", it still seems that the term (no matter the spelling), fits the noted definition. Somehow, I suspect that through the years, the spelling evolved (or was changed), to more definitively describe it's specific use - "in your trade". The fact remains, whether it's "tale or tail", it is still a visual indicator of the status of the situation, mechanism, or system at hand (in this case - a conveyor)...... It "tells the tale", of the conveyor. :ani_whistling:

I spent 30+ years in the textile industry, and I was constantly amazed at the terminology that we used, that meant something entirely different within the confines of the industry, than it would in the outside world, and many of those terms had been "conveniently" altered or adapted, down through the years, simply to better fit the application at hand. Who knows ?? :ani_wallbash:

ref: Wikipedia - a tell-tale, or telltale, is an indicator, signal, or sign that conveys the status of a situation, mechanism, or system :ani_giveup:

• Like 1

I agree, Reefy. As my schooling in Oz defines "tale" as a story. Which could still, loosely, apply as it is the ribbon that states the wind direction. Tells the tale of the wind.

I also think that vernacular is very much region specific. MOM and MUM for instance.

I agree, Reefy. As my schooling in Oz defines "tale" as a story. Which could still, loosely, apply as it is the ribbon that states the wind direction. Tells the tale of the wind.

I also think that vernacular is very much region specific. MOM and MUM for instance.

10-4 there Mate, agreed, for sure. Cheers :big_beer: