KiteLife Forum

Prism 4D Advice

ChessGirl

Well, I broke my first ferule. It bent and I tried to bend it back and it snapped. None of the parts in my kite repair kit helped. I ordered a new leading edge and a couple of extra ferrules from prism. Meanwhile, I took the leading edge out, flipped the upper half around, and reinserted it. Then I used epoxy to connect the two parts of the edge inside the remaining half ferule. Seems to have worked great as a temporary fix. I just can't fold it up for travel until the new leading edge arrives.

Yeah, I bent a ferrule first time I flew my 4D just last week. I had ordered a repair kit but I think I skipped the ferrule. Guess it's time for another order...

I got my upper leading edge and ferrules. I didn't realize I needed the lower leading edge as well. The product description sounds like the upper leading edge is the whole leading edge. Now I have to pay shipping again? Not happy about that. Prism's shipping is way more expensive than it seems it should be, as in 500% the cost of the part.

Well, I broke my first ferule. It bent and I tried to bend it back and it snapped. None of the parts in my kite repair kit helped. I ordered a new leading edge and a couple of extra ferrules from prism. Meanwhile, I took the leading edge out, flipped the upper half around, and reinserted it. Then I used epoxy to connect the two parts of the edge inside the remaining half ferule. Seems to have worked great as a temporary fix. I just can't fold it up for travel until the new leading edge arrives.

Yeah, I bent a ferrule first time I flew my 4D just last week. I had ordered a repair kit but I think I skipped the ferrule. Guess it's time for another order...

Again - unless needed to save space or something, no need to break down LEs! I bought a 60" long bag and carried 6-7 kites in there easy!!

• Like 1

To fit the 4D in its case, you have to break down the LE. Same as the Zephyr in the hard case, and the Hypnotist to fit in its case. I keep all of my kites long, except the 4D & Zephyr. You just have to spend extra attention & care when you assemble them, or abandon the factory case and keep 'em long !

When I first started breaking kites I ordered spare parts from Prism several times, four I believe. I noticed a special clearance of the old 3D case for $5.00. I hoped the 4D would fit & ordered one with my next batch of spares. It's a nice slim case of typical Prism quality & the 4D fit without having to break down the leading edge. I put the line set on a little bigger winder & it still fits. Don't seem to need a kite stake with 4D but a small one would also fit in the nice little case. Don't see it on the site any longer, sorry. When I would normally use a kite stake for a larger kite I don't with the little kite. In higher wind I launch it with the line slipping through my hands while flying around until the handles arrive at their more typical location. I usually just hold the lines & don't use the handles. This technique is a little harder to do with the Micron but I haven't burnt my skin yet...

• Like 1

I got my upper leading edge and ferrules. I didn't realize I needed the lower leading edge as well. The product description sounds like the upper leading edge is the whole leading edge. Now I have to pay shipping again? Not happy about that. Prism's shipping is way more expensive than it seems it should be, as in 500% the cost of the part.

I've just ordered some spare parts for my 4D from the Prism shop. When I got to the online checkout their system wanted over $30 to ship $12 worth of parts to me here in the UK! That seemed like a lot ( my wife regularly get craft stamps from the States and only pays $12-15 shipping at most for a much bigger package). I contacted Prism who explained that the online system quotes postage based on larger items and while small stuff costs less, the system can't adjust so Prism will amend the charges at shipping. I placed my order with the shop - final amount with the higher shipping was around $50. I have just had the payment taken from my bank today - a total of under $20 in total! so shipping charges were about $6 to the UK! I'm happy enough with that!

I've just ordered some spare parts for my 4D from the Prism shop. When I got to the online checkout their system wanted over $30 to ship $12 worth of parts to me here in the UK! That seemed like a lot ( my wife regularly get craft stamps from the States and only pays $12-15 shipping at most for a much bigger package). I contacted Prism who explained that the online system quotes postage based on larger items and while small stuff costs less, the system can't adjust so Prism will amend the charges at shipping. I placed my order with the shop - final amount with the higher shipping was around $50. I have just had the payment taken from my bank today - a total of under $20 in total! so shipping charges were about $6 to the UK! I'm happy enough with that!

That has been my experience also. Calling in your order is best IMHO. The shipping charges are actually okay but the web estimate will tend to scare you off. All the various kite vendors I have purchased from have been great to deal with.

Well, it wasn't my experience. The estimate is what I actually paid, and I just checked to see what actually posted to my checking account. I paid more than the cost of the parts for standard shipping, and this was to Texas. I'm paying about $25 for a $5 part with standard shipping.

Well, it wasn't my experience. The estimate is what I actually paid, and I just checked to see what actually posted to my checking account. I paid more than the cost of the parts for standard shipping, and this was to Texas. I'm paying about $25 for a $5 part with standard shipping.

Admittedly I was only ordering small parts - end nocks, centre T etc - so it may be stuff like spars are more expensive to ship - Our postal service here in the UK has recently doubled the cost of posting items over 24" which has made a big difference for sending kites or spars.

If you are looking for frame spars, I would make my own - you can buy the 2.5mm (0.098") carbon fibre rods from a local RC model shop - they use it for planes and helicopters- and just cut to length. It was just the special fittings that I couldn't get in the UK.

Prism should be ashamed of themselves. There is no reason to spend half the value of the kite for some repair parts. I'll assume that you didn't call them, though. I found the only way to deal with Prism is over the phone, their support over the internet is terrible. They are really nice to deal with over the phone, though.

Another angle is to contact the reseller that you bought the kite from originally. Most kite shops have access to repair parts, and are easier to deal with than having to call Seattle. That is actually the preferred method, providing that you bought from an authorized reseller.

I hope you get your kite back in the air soon, but I bet this downtime has you thinking about getting another kite. :cat_lol:

That's one of the reasons I have more than a few kites, I can't stand not being able to fly because of a broken kite, or the wrong kite for the Wind-du-Jour.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

When I first started breaking kites I ordered spare parts from Prism several times, four I believe. I noticed a special clearance of the old 3D case for $5.00. I hoped the 4D would fit & ordered one with my next batch of spares. It's a nice slim case of typical Prism quality & the 4D fit without having to break down the leading edge. I put the line set on a little bigger winder & it still fits. Don't seem to need a kite stake with 4D but a small one would also fit in the nice little case. Don't see it on the site any longer, sorry. When I would normally use a kite stake for a larger kite I don't with the little kite. In higher wind I launch it with the line slipping through my hands while flying around until the handles arrive at their more typical location. I usually just hold the lines & don't use the handles. This technique is a little harder to do with the Micron but I haven't burnt my skin yet...

I ordered the 3D case for my 4D, last week an just got it. The 4D fits in it perfectly without having to break the leading edge down. $5 on the Prism website. http://shop.prismkites.com/index.php/specials/prism-3-d-bags.html

• 4 weeks later...

Just ordered myself a 4D in purple! :D We've had a lot of really weird wind days lately when it just drops away to nothing - even my HQ Shadow can't get off the ground so hopefully this might do the trick!

Been trying to fly my Revs, the last week or two, and with the exception of a few days, that wind has been stinko in my area. So I am becoming a fairly good 4D pilot, since it is the only thing I can put in the air. After having so much fun with the 4D, and seeing that the winds in my area are favoring this type of kite, quite often, I decided to get a slightly larger low wind kite. After doing alot of research, I decided to order a Niknak kite. It is larger than than the 4D, 78" versus the 4D's 58". Apparently it has substantially more pull that the 4D, since a member who is very experienced in low wind kites, and flies several of them, recommended getting 90# test line for the Niknak, versus the 50# that comes with the 4D. I ordered the Niknak directly from the company that makes it, and they are going to make one with a color that I requested. They are made in the USA, which is pretty cool. Will take a few weeks to get it. I found a youtube video where someone is doing some tricks with the Niknak, so while some say "It won't do tricks", apparently this depends on the skill of the person that is flying it.

Here is the website where I ordered it. And, they give the AKA 10% discount too... Call them, and ask about it. http://www.skyburner.com/niknak.html

• 5 months later...

I received a Prism 4D today and flew it for a few minutes in very light winds that would not have been enough to launch any of my other kites. I was really surprised at how much faster it is than my other kites. It was also noisy and had a lot more pull than expected in such light winds.

I've seen in some videos and posts elsewhere that people are using all kinds of line length sets, like 20 feet and 7 feet, with this kite, and I was wondering what what these sets are good for. For example, are they just for indoor flying?

As far as tricking this kite, is it necessary to add yo yo stoppers to get it to do the few tricks people say it is capable of doing?

Finally, I like to use tails with my dual line kites, so I am wondering if there are any microlite tails out there that I could look at getting to use with this one.

Any advice?

The Prism 4D is quite capable of pulling skywriter tails up to 100ft. with enough wind. There are many Youtube vids showing the Prism 4d with 50ft. and 100 ft. tails. Good Luck!