KiteLife Forum

What do do in high wind?

spblat

It's been a good week in Manzanita. Learned to half axel, after all. But the wind has often been a little much. Lots of white caps, sand blowing across the beach. Frustrating to set up and take down my Widow Maker, and I was afraid to take it through the middle of the window so I just sort of flopped around the edges until I got fed up and quit.

Which leaves me wondering. What do you do when there's too much wind? Is there such a thing as too much wind? :-) Is there a dual-line kite that can handle 20-30mph? Recent threads here suggest it would be fun to get a long tail or tube, behind a really robust kite like Thor's Hammer, Prism Hypnotist or Premier Magnum. I favor the Magnum because it's apparently made of standard sky shark tubes and designed by the same folks behind my Widow Maker.

So. Which two-line kite for flogging in high winds? How much wind is too much?

EDIT: Dodd Gross's BLK? I learned to fly on the Detonator after all...

• Like 1

Once the winds get above 15-18mph you are going to struggle to trick any duel line kite unless you have a mega vent competition kite. In 20mph plus winds the best thing is just to put on something like a small foil or maybe a dedicated high wind kite like the HQ Delta Hawk (rated to 47mph)and just rip up the sky - you won't be doing any tricks, but you can have a lot of fun!

• Like 1

Yep, small kites work great in big wind - "ripping up the sky", describes it well ! I've never flown the Delta Hawk, but it looks like super fun. Similar would be the Prism Micron, and that, I know is fast, very fast (although it's not rated for the 40+ mph, as is the Delta Hawk) A Micron is described as "the fastest little sports kite this side of the Milky Way - Like a bumblebee on amphetamines!", and for a very small investment, there's a barrel full of fun, loaded into every Micron. And should worse come to worse, you're only out forty bucks, or less...........Zoom, Zoom, Zoom ! In big wind, I put mine out on 100ft lines, and let her rip...............and don't forget to breath!

Little Kite - Big Wind - Megga Fun !

(Here's my two little "Microns", with big brother "Fanatic")

post-4670-0-23587400-1373761261_thumb.jp

Oh, and when you pull a line, to spin, you've already done about 13 1/2 turns, before you can look up ! :cat_lol:

Did I mention F-A-S-T ?

• Like 4

The Microns can take up to 35mph wind, I've done that with my 5 stack. The only other option it a vented kite like the QPro vent. That can also be flown up to 35mph (I've done that, too). But this is exactly what got me into quads. Dual lines, even vents aren't very much fun to fly in wind over 20mph. Unless you like to run a lot, that is. I got a full vent 1.5 and haven't looked back since.

The funny thing is, the full vent Rev was so much fun, I had to get a midvent & a full sail 1.5 as well. Now I don't even need my dual line kites unless the wind is really light.

• Like 5

The Microns can take up to 35mph wind, I've done that with my 5 stack. The only other option it a vented kite like the QPro vent. That can also be flown up to 35mph (I've done that, too). But this is exactly what got me into quads. Dual lines, even vents aren't very much fun to fly in wind over 20mph. Unless you like to run a lot, that is. I got a full vent 1.5 and haven't looked back since.

The funny thing is, the full vent Rev was so much fun, I had to get a midvent & a full sail 1.5 as well. Now I don't even need my dual line kites unless the wind is really light.

And you were the one wanting to know why they should come over to the "Dark Side" :cat_lol: :cat_lol: :cat_lol:

Someone over here once described the Delta Hawk as a 'Day saver' - you know, you've driven a long way to the beach in perfect flying weather then 30 minutes later the wind blows up and you've nothing that will fly. It will never be a 'go to' kite but it's very useful to have in the bag. It's fairly cheap too, and a simple design. All plain 6mm carbon tube so easy/cheap to repair and hard to break- it tends to bounce when you crash - I've only broken mine once when I misjudged a set of goal posts and hit them at full speed mid window! Think of it as a psychotic Micron that wants to rip your arms off!

I've just bought a Prism 4D as a day saver at the other end of the scale when the wind dies away.

• Like 1

It took me considerable time & money to figure out what is presented in this topic. I just wanted to fly & the day savers have made it possible many times when I would have previously not even tried to fly. Glider kites took me even further. Entry fully into the dark side takes deep pockets. I am still accumulating the different sizes, vented sails, multiple frame sets & various line sets. A 4D & a Micron have saved many days & I now always carry them along with a Zero G. Thank you Prism Kites. Should have all the Rev stuff eventually.

• Like 4

The Skynasaur makes an excellent high-wind kite. In fact you can't get them off the ground in less than about 15 mph. The smallest one needs even more than that and flies like a bullet in a good stiff wind. You gotta be fast, though; it goes from one edge of the window to the other in just a few seconds. I'm not sure it is possible to break one by wind power alone. They seem to be made from heavy canvas and re-rod (exaggerating, but only a little bit). I don't know if these are still being made.

Someone over here once described the Delta Hawk as a 'Day saver' - you know, you've driven a long way to the beach in perfect flying weather then 30 minutes later the wind blows up and you've nothing that will fly. It will never be a 'go to' kite but it's very useful to have in the bag. It's fairly cheap too, and a simple design. All plain 6mm carbon tube so easy/cheap to repair and hard to break- it tends to bounce when you crash - I've only broken mine once when I misjudged a set of goal posts and hit them at full speed mid window! Think of it as a psychotic Micron that wants to rip your arms off!

I've just bought a Prism 4D as a day saver at the other end of the scale when the wind dies away.

Yep, "Day-Saver"! That is a great "descriptive term", and it should be included in "Barresi's Book of Kite Terminology", and right beside that term, should be a picture, or two. I can see there are two ends of the picture, and I would think that the Delta Hawk, and the Micron, would definitely be on the upper end, and for sure, the 3-D, 4-D, and the gliders, on the other. Kool !

I may have to find one of those Delta Hawks. They surely sound like what I love to do, especially in brisk coastal winds..... :ani_victory:

• Like 1

You people are awesome. I do feel a slight pull to the dark side. I know that it is useless to resist. I know that it is my destiny. But I'm not ready. :-)

Day savers! Love the terminology. 4D and Delta Hawk here I come. Thanks so much folks.

• Like 6

You people are awesome. I do feel a slight pull to the dark side. I know that it is useless to resist. I know that it is my destiny. But I'm not ready. :-)

Day savers! Love the terminology. 4D and Delta Hawk here I come. Thanks so much folks.

It's a fun kite. If you get one make sure you get some strong lines - 150# minimum - and a set of padded straps....you'll need them!

Add a nice long tail and everyone on the beach is going to notice you!

hq-delta-hawk-5.jpg

• Like 2

Yep, and that picture that Hadge posted really messed me up (definitely my kind of kite). It seems I had a weak moment, and before I knew it, I had an email saying that it was on it's way. I just don't know what happened (?) :cat_sick:

• Like 4

Hey Nick, remember me if you change your mind after the thrill of acquisition passes. It does sound like your style, & mine. I really enjoy your posts, you read people well & seem to always know just what to say.

• Like 1

Hey Nick, remember me if you change your mind after the thrill of acquisition passes. It does sound like your style, & mine.

Yep, I do like to fly fast, and in good winds. Holy cow, I can't wait to catch one of those 30+ mph days at the coast, and rip it up with that Delta Hawk. That's the days I like, when the blowing wind and sand, runs everyone off of the beaches, and down from the dunes. I suppose that's why I have two Microns, a couple of Nighthawks, a Rev II, and three B2's. They are all F-A-S-T ! :cat_lol:

• Like 1

Hey Nick, remember me if you change your mind after the thrill of acquisition passes. It does sound like your style, & mine.

Yep, I do like to fly fast, and in good winds. Holy cow, I can't wait to catch one of those 30+ mph days at the coast, and rip it up with that Delta Hawk. That's the days I like, when the blowing wind and sand, runs everyone off of the beaches, and down from the dunes. I suppose that's why I have two Microns, a couple of Nighthawks, a Rev II, and three B2's. They are all F-A-S-T ! :cat_lol:

....like I said, Psychotic Micron..........

• Like 1

@Hadge..........

What was the kite? I can't read that language, and I never did get a clear, close up look at the kite ? Was that a Delta Hawk ? I mean I like fast, I like wind, but I'd like to keep my arms attached to my shoulder sockets. I do like it blowing, but I don't like it, quite that furious ! :sign_please:

• Like 2

Yes it was a Delta Hawk but the winds were a bit extreme - 50-60mph! In 20-30mph winds its good fun - still quick and it will give you a bit of a workout, but nothing like as much as in the video. I think you'll enjoy it. One tip - the standoffs fit into a pocket in the sail and on to a usual fitting on the spreader. If you have a hard landing they can occasionally pop off - not a problem on grass but on a beach they can get lost. I made 2 spares up from some oddments of GF rod I had in the garage complete with end caps and I keep them taped to the spine with electrical tape so if I lose one I have a spare.

Yes it was a Delta Hawk but the winds were a bit extreme - 50-60mph! In 20-30mph winds its good fun - still quick and it will give you a bit of a workout, but nothing like as much as in the video. I think you'll enjoy it. One tip - the standoffs fit into a pocket in the sail and on to a usual fitting on the spreader. If you have a hard landing they can occasionally pop off - not a problem on grass but on a beach they can get lost. I made 2 spares up from some oddments of GF rod I had in the garage complete with end caps and I keep them taped to the spine with electrical tape so if I lose one I have a spare.

Thanks for the tip. Once I get the kite, I'll probably get back in touch, for a bit of clarification. Not sure on the GF (?) rod. Anyway, after I take a look, in person, I'll be able to discuss better.......... :gathering:

GF rod - just the ordinary 3mm glass fibre rod they use for standoffs.

This is my Delta hawk on a windy day to give you a more realistic idea - ( originally edited to different music but youtube won't let me use it!)

Edit - now redone with original music!!

• Like 1

Interesting. The kite was rarely going less than one spine-length per frame, and occasionally as much as two spine-lengths per frame. If you could tell us what speed (fps) you were filming at and the spine-length of the kite, we could calculate the speed range fairly easily. (It looked to me to be less than the usual 30 fps, but that could be just a persistence-of-vision artifact.)

• Like 1

Interesting. The kite was rarely going less than one spine-length per frame, and occasionally as much as two spine-lengths per frame. If you could tell us what speed (fps) you were filming at and the spine-length of the kite, we could calculate the speed range fairly easily. (It looked to me to be less than the usual 30 fps, but that could be just a persistence-of-vision artifact.)

Gosh, I was about to comment on a similar note. Not that I know how, or had thought about calculating, but I was likewise noticing that during most of the film, it appeared that there were multiple kites, trailing each other. I did realize that it was due to the kite flying faster than the film speed..(?)....I think that's right ! Anyway, very similiar in flight characteristics, to the Prism Micron.... :cat_lol:

• Like 1