KiteLife Forum

What do do in high wind?

spblat

Did anyone else ever pick up a Catch The Wind spidermite from back in the day? It has been coming out when the coast is blowing like crazy. It is small so not much pull, but it sure is fun and fast.

Although the Delta Hawk has been my regular 'go to' high wind kite, one of the UK shops now stocks the HQ Delta Flizz - the Hawks little brother - not so much pull but very very fast!

HQ-DELTA-FLIZZ-2.jpg

Might be fun stacked with the Hawk!!

Did anyone else ever pick up a Catch The Wind spidermite from back in the day? It has been coming out when the coast is blowing like crazy. It is small so not much pull, but it sure is fun and fast.

Now that's a blast from the past!! Got one with the high wind upgrade! Came with a twisted Spectra? line - 50# for normal, 100# for high wind! I ended up with a Prism Alien, but now a Revhead and fly an xtra-vent!

Yeah! Was surfing at Pacific City this summer and stopped into the CTW shop. He still had a couple left, and showed me the "high wind upgrade" as it was blowing good (the kite surfers were very happy). We've dubbed it the "flying mustache" as it seems to look like one when it's going really fast (and probably about to crash...).

Yeah! Was surfing at Pacific City this summer and stopped into the CTW shop. He still had a couple left, and showed me the "high wind upgrade" as it was blowing good (the kite surfers were very happy). We've dubbed it the "flying mustache" as it seems to look like one when it's going really fast (and probably about to crash...).

I wasn't aware that CTW had any stores still open!! All the ones that I know of have either closed or changed hands to new management!! Case in point - the CTW store in Lincoln City is gone now!!

Although the Delta Hawk has been my regular 'go to' high wind kite, one of the UK shops now stocks the HQ Delta Flizz - the Hawks little brother -

Might be fun stacked with the Hawk!!

Yeah ! That's just what the Delta Hawk needs, a little bit more pull. That little "demon" about pulled my arms out of the sockets, this summer.........that Flizz is a pretty little kite, though ! Sure does make a fuss ! :ani_victory:

I wasn't aware that CTW had any stores still open!! All the ones that I know of have either closed or changed hands to new management!! Case in point - the CTW store in Lincoln City is gone now!!

Neither was I. Was walking back to our camp spot and literally ran into the building. Was a bit tired from the session :) Not sure who owns it at this time - a very nice gentleman and his lady friend were running the place when I went in.

Neither was I. Was walking back to our camp spot and literally ran into the building. Was a bit tired from the session :) Not sure who owns it at this time - a very nice gentleman and his lady friend were running the place when I went in.

I wonder if the name was sold to a different store!! Like I said CTW as a chain of stores up and down the coast is out of business, as far as I know!! :ani_idea:

• 1 year later...

High wind? Check! Deltahawk? Check! Skybond 175? Check! Well, maybe not...

I'm impressed. But I consider such occurrences braggin' rites somehow. You break something & it's a bummer. But then you get to tell the story. Still pretty proud of breaking a 50# x 75' line set with a zoomin' Micron..... SHBKF

High wind? Check! Deltahawk? Check! Skybond 175? Check! Well, maybe not...

I'm impressed. But I consider such occurrences braggin' rites somehow. You break something & it's a bummer. But then you get to tell the story. Still pretty proud of breaking a 50# x 75' line set with a zoomin' Micron..... SHBKF

Nice work on the Micron! I didn't know it could stay in the window long enough to load up the lines.

After breaking 3 sets of the yellow line (all 90#), including one quad set, I am becoming very un-impressed with it. Now to read that you broke 175# skybond, I am swearing it off, not buying anymore. Just like 50# lines, not flying it anymore...

I use the Delta Hawk regularly. 150lb line is the minimum I use and then only in moderate - 10-15mph - winds. As soon as the wind gets over this I go straight to 220lb lines - this isn't overkill as in 20-30mph this kite will try and pull your arms off!. Don't underestimate it because it's small, it's a beast in strong winds and will give you a real work out.

If you want a similar fast high wind experience but still want to keep your arms I can recommend the HQ Limbo - similar size and flying style as the Delta Hawk, similar wind range, but a little less savage. I've recently bought one and it's good fun.

After breaking 3 sets of the yellow line (all 90#), including one quad set, I am becoming very un-impressed with it. Now to read that you broke 175# skybond, I am swearing it off, not buying anymore. Just like 50# lines, not flying it anymore...

Hey Rob, That Delta Hawk pulls like a bull dozier ! :cat_lol: It's really amazing the pull it will give you, to be no larger than it is. Only 57" - 58" tip to tip ! Never had it to break a line though, and I've flown it in 25+ winds, straight off the ocean.......... :ani_giveup:

What I've found is, that it isn't the line so much, as how the sleeving is melted to prevent fraying. Our team bought 4 sets of 50# x 85' for very light wind flying and had 1 line in 16 break. Looked closely at it and found the sleeving was the cause. Melting had made a hard edge that rubbed the line excessively. It broke right at the end of the loop where the sleeve ended.

• Like 2

What I've found is, that it isn't the line so much, as how the sleeving is melted to prevent fraying. Our team bought 4 sets of 50# x 85' for very light wind flying and had 1 line in 16 break. Looked closely at it and found the sleeving was the cause. Melting had made a hard edge that rubbed the line excessively. It broke right at the end of the loop where the sleeve ended.

I believe it. I'm headed back out with the DeltaHawk and Snapshot 2.5 in 15-20 mph winds. Wish me luck, err, safety!

Ok, the hawk gets a little lazy on 300# unless the wind is really up.

I never flew it with more than 150#. Yes, I would imagine that 300# lines would be like dragging a 100' tube tail...........you don't need that much :cat_shocked:

HQ recommends 150-220. I haven't had the time to repair my 175# set and 300# was the next best thing I had....

• 8 months later...

Below is my to-do list for things to practice during windy days (expect it to last for several occasions when ever the opportunities actually do show up):

* The 2-line foil.
Bought a department stores own brand (Biltema) foil kite (dimensions: 183cm by 71cm)) several years ago, partly because I hadn't tried this type of kite. Unfortunately that kite/me got a problem with foil folding. Therefore try out the suggested hints in a bit harder winds as kindly suggested in the Home > Site Topics > New Member Introductions > Newbie topic:

http://kitelife.com/forum/topic/7102-newbie/

* The Fazer XL (marketed as a maneuverable speed and power kite).
Do slack line tricks by aggressively running and flinging arms forward or by performing them at the edge of the wind window. Be prepared to pull seriously at the exit of the trick. No this kite doesn't magically provide any slack in heavy wind, but I'm absolutely convinced that it can take more wind than I can and therefore I'm free to attempt to do tricks also in heavier winds.
Perfect the square turns, do push turns and at the exit pull both lines. If there is a trailing wing side due to oversteer, pull that to get it back in action. Really figure out what happens when turning this kite.
Try returning the bridles upper outhaul to its original position now that I have got used to the kite to some degree. I keep the upper outhaul a bit shorter than original setting to reduce pull, but haven't experienced any (adverse/large?) effects on turning radius or (in lighter wind) stalling.
At the end of the session try out the strength of the reinforced LE by tip stabbing the left wing. The lower leading edge has been reinforced by glueing a 1dm long carbon fibre rod in the inside of the 8mm tube just where the lower spreader connects. Also it is advisable here to soft cover the wing nocks.
Practice the hard wind parking/start where the kite is on its belly with the lines going up and around the trailing edge and then slowly rolled in launch position (is there a term for this launch?). This is not really practice in the success or fail manner, since it is hard to fail with this launch. However there are few things that with practice can't be made to look fluent/easy/efficient.

* The Atrax (small speed kite).
The pure speed kite was another kite type that I was curious about. Although the Fazer XL is large and robust and will not break from high wind alone, as speed kite it is not that extreme. Got any warning from the kite store's text about the Atrax: "Schnell und giftig im Flugverhalten sucht er einen erfahrenen Piloten, der ihn bändigen kann"? No, the words "fast", "poisonous", "experienced" and "tame-it" did not seem to be words suggesting that perhaps one should start out with another speed kite model (In the manufacturers site you can now also read "the Atrax is still difficult to launch and extremely touchy. It is only recommended for experts". I really thought this kite must be calling my name. Besides this is a kite by Christoph Fokken and I like other kites he designed.
My main issue here with this kite is to get the flights to last (and to get some time for training sessions here at all). It kind of falls out of the sky - probably should try out gentler inputs and keep out of the wind window edge? Also going to a field where I could use longer lines than 25m could perhaps help? Yes feeling like a beginner again. Even more so after seeing (two Atrax kites being flown at the same time by one person):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMUZZBsk7eo

In a way I probably deserve it, previously I've never thought about speed kites or at most thought it must be for those that are easily amused and can't do any tricks (pardon, to anyone offended). In a way I suppose it is somewhat similar to when informing a non-kiter what my hobby is - they are likely to silently think that I'm easily amused to and should use the time in a wiser way.
The start of this kite is another issue. The way I have done it is to bring a sharpened stick that is driven into the ground so that it is slightly angled towards me. At the top of the stick there is a strip of gaffer tape wound so that most of the sticky side is pointing outwards (when finished for the day - rewind with the sticky side in). Now attach the back side of the spine close to the nose to the tape and mount the kite somewhat tilted towards you. When you start the kite the pull the lines will release it from the tape. I guess this (the sticky "start stick" i.e.) shouldn't be needed - this is something to learn to do without by using the method where you let the kite fall/tip towards you and pull in just the right moment.

• Like 1