KiteLife Forum

What do do in high wind?

spblat

When the wind is higher, i pull out my speedkites. Like this one:

https://vimeo.com/66261049

Wind is around 3bft in this video. It really starts to go at around 5-6bft.

It was radar clocked 2 years ago in the german speedkite competition with 111mph.

Andre what kind and what size is that kite. :)

The kite is the Scalpel mini, and it has a wingspan of 6 feet. Its my own design and build.

Here is a picture of it:

scalpel_mini_wallpaper.jpg

• Like 1

scalpel_mini_wallpaper.jpg

@ Andre

Just curious, does your kite have a strong pull ? I watched the video, it surely appears fast, so I was wondering about the pull.... I have an Invento HQ Delta Hawk, which is also very fast kite (not sure how fast ?), however, it pulls like a Mack Truck, so how about your "Scalpel Mini"? Oh, and where did you come up with that name?..........

By the way - great job on building a super great looking kite ! It's kinda like a sports car, it looks fast, just sitting in the grass ! :g:

Reef Runner: For its size and speed the pull is very low. I fly the mini with 80-120lbs lines up to 6bft. and with 40lbs at low winds.

For the name, well, i name all my speedkites after blade weapons, because lets face it, those are weapons. And scalpel because it flies pretty precise and the wing shape reminds of the curve of a classic scalpel.

He the comparison with a sport scar is certainly apt, it is an expensive and complex kite to build, plus i like my kites to look cool :)

• Like 1

Yep, small kites work great in big wind - "ripping up the sky", describes it well ! I've never flown the Delta Hawk, but it looks like super fun. Similar would be the Prism Micron, and that, I know is fast, very fast (although it's not rated for the 40+ mph, as is the Delta Hawk) A Micron is described as "the fastest little sports kite this side of the Milky Way - Like a bumblebee on amphetamines!", and for a very small investment, there's a barrel full of fun, loaded into every Micron. And should worse come to worse, you're only out forty bucks, or less...........Zoom, Zoom, Zoom ! In big wind, I put mine out on 100ft lines, and let her rip...............and don't forget to breath!

Little Kite - Big Wind - Megga Fun !

(Here's my two little "Microns", with big brother "Fanatic")

Oh, and when you pull a line, to spin, you've alreauvBulletin vBulletindy done about 13 1/2 turns, before you can look up !

:cat_lol:

Did I mention F-A-S-T ?

I have a prism micron shipping to me at this moment, I was already pumped up to fly it and now im even more excited hearing your thoughts on it. I currently have the quantum, snapshot 1.2 and 2.5 so I cant wait to get this ultra fast kite. thanks for sharing

• Like 1

It would be hard to capture on video, unless you used a high frame rate and slo-mo ! The little booger axels so fast that you miss it if you blink... I only fly my Micron stack recently, and you can't really trick a stack. I did fly the stack in the winds at Wildwood that were gusting 35mph+, there was considerable pull !

• Like 1

I have a prism micron shipping to me at this moment, I was already pumped up to fly it and now im even more excited hearing your thoughts on it. I currently have the quantum, snapshot 1.2 and 2.5 so I cant wait to get this ultra fast kite. thanks for sharing

Hey Joel, the Micron won't handle anything at all like your Quantum, or either of your Snapshots, for sure. I can just about promise, that you'll over-compensate your inputs, on your first time out. Just think, "very small inputs, for a very small kite", until you get the feel of it. Once you do, the other kites will seem like they are flying in "slow motion". Oh, and be sure to take it out in some decent wind. You'll have a barrel of fun, guaranteed! The Micron really becomes fun, when you can begin to hear it buzz, as it crosses the wind window !! Oh, and as I mentioned earlier - "don't forget to breathe". Good Luck :cat_lol:

Oh and Joel..........Welcome aboard !

There's a lot of good folks, and information, here at Kitelife ! Jump in and enjoy the ride.........

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and was attracted to it by threads on speed kiting. I've been building airplane-shaped kites that are a lot of fun in high wind. At the beach in no more than 10 mph winds, my 4 foot wingspan kite was measured by a radar gun at 59mph, and in 15mph wind, my 3 foot wingspan kite was measured at 97,99&100mph. That was at the Bay Area Sport Kite League's sport kite clinic day at Cesar Chavez Park in Berkeley, California. I fly these kites on no more than 40lb Spectra line with one hand. Most of my high-wind flying is done with 2 foot wingspan kites, which also go in the 50-100mph range in 10-20mph winds. They are really fun to fly because there is very little line pull and they are highly maneuverable. I'm interested in doing build workshops and have talked with the above group, BASKL, about one this January or February.

My youtube channel (sorry I don't have more time to edit) is:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkth2RomBN_2g3RU-j9otlA

I have some links to explain the background to these kites at:

http://crosswindkitesfun.blogspot.com/

I have also posted on converting model airplanes to high-speed kites at:

http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and was attracted to it by threads on speed kiting. I've been building airplane-shaped kites that are a lot of fun in high wind. At the beach in no more than 10 mph winds, my 4 foot wingspan kite was measured by a radar gun at 59mph, and in 15mph wind, my 3 foot wingspan kite was measured at 97,99&100mph. That was at the Bay Area Sport Kite League's sport kite clinic day at Cesar Chavez Park in Berkeley, California. I fly these kites on no more than 40lb Spectra line with one hand. Most of my high-wind flying is done with 2 foot wingspan kites, which also go in the 50-100mph range in 10-20mph winds. They are really fun to fly because there is very little line pull and they are highly maneuverable. I'm interested in doing build workshops and have talked with the above group, BASKL, about one this January or February.

My youtube channel (sorry I don't have more time to edit) is:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkth2RomBN_2g3RU-j9otlA

I have some links to explain the background to these kites at:

http://crosswindkitesfun.blogspot.com/

I have also posted on converting model airplanes to high-speed kites at:

http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

Thanks for that link to stick and tissue, just started rebuilding these after yrs off, Getting the son getting into model building. My doping and covering skills are .... Ugh need helppost-7646-0-97140700-1377740420_thumb.jppost-7646-0-97140700-1377740420_thumb.jppost-7646-0-97140700-1377740420_thumb.jp

David, welcome to Kitelife.

Those airplane-shaped kites are really cool. I'm glad to be lucky enough to have seen you fly them in person (at BKF and various other times at the Berkeley marina). Didn't realize how fast they flew though. I'd definitely be interested in a workshop. Got to keep my eyes open for it now.

By the way, I'm Joanna and I fly with BASKL too. Somehow missed you on kite clinic day.

Thanks Joanna,

I'd guess that you've seen them fly as much as anyone at Berkeley. My wife & I had only got the radar gun a short while before kite clinic day, so we were pretty surprised at the speeds we got, too. At first I thought we had the radar gun set for kilometers per hour, but no! I'm glad to hear you're interested in the workshop. Next time we're out at the field, you're welcome to try flying one.

David

Well, it wasn't 100 mph, but it was definitely a "Delta Hawk" day, at the coast (OBX, NC), this afternoon. Steady 20 mph coming off the ocean, with spurts topping 30.......................Sheesh, my shoulders and arms hurt ! :ani_giveup:

That sounds like the conditions on the first day I ever flew a two line kite. That day the wind was out of the north on the OBX. Back then I thought that was normal beach wind....hmm, ignorance was truly bliss. I somehow thought scudding was normal too & to be expected with a big 72" wing span. Good thing I had those 200 pound test Kevlar Sky Bond lines & my Sky Claws! It's amazing that the kite was tough enough for my zero experience level.

• Like 1

I somehow thought scudding was normal too & to be expected with a big 72" wing span. Good thing I had those 200 pound test Kevlar Sky Bond lines & my Sky Claws! It's amazing that the kite was tough enough for my zero experience level.

You mean that's not normal (?).............Heck, I call myself, a little bit above, the "zero experience" level, but I tell you, on Friday during one of those 25+ mph gust, I took a full speed, direct nose-dive into the ground, with the Delta Hawk. All I did was take my eyes off of it for one second, but it was the wrong second to look away. Before I even realized what had happened, the kite had bounced backwards, off of the ground. I was figuring that it was probably totaled, and still being a bit out-of-sorts, and out done by the crash (I'm not supposed to do that), before I could ever regain control, somehow, it had flipped over, and was on the way back skyward. I probably did one of those strange dual line tricks during the process, and I didn't even know it. I suppose my thought process was running just a second or two behind, the kite that day, but conditions were a bit harsh, to say the least.................Did I mention that the Delta Hawk is fast ? Whew! :ani_wallbash: (Oh, and the only thing that was hurt, was my pride)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I somehow thought scudding was normal too & to be expected with a big 72" wing span. Good thing I had those 200 pound test Kevlar Sky Bond lines & my Sky Claws! It's amazing that the kite was tough enough for my zero experience level.

You mean that's not normal (?).............Heck, I call myself, a little bit above, the "zero experience" level, but I tell you, on Friday during one of those 25+ mph gust, I took a full speed, direct nose-dive into the ground, with the Delta Hawk. All I did was take my eyes off of it for one second, but it was the wrong second to look away. Before I even realized what had happened, the kite had bounced backwards, off of the ground. I was figuring that it was probably totaled, and still being a bit out-of-sorts, and out done by the crash (I'm not supposed to do that), before I could ever regain control, somehow, it had flipped over, and was on the way back skyward. I probably did one of those strange dual line tricks during the process, and I didn't even know it. I suppose my thought process was running just a second or two behind, the kite that day, but conditions were a bit harsh, to say the least.................Did I mention that the Delta Hawk is fast ? Whew! :ani_wallbash: (Oh, and the only thing that was hurt, was my pride)

The Delta Hawk is one tough kite!! I've crashed mine many times - as you say, it only takes a second of inattention - and every time it ( literally) bounces back into the air! The only time I've actually broken it was when it hit a set of goalposts at full speed, mid window in a 25mph wind and shattered a leading edge! any other kite would probably have been a right off.

The Delta Hawk is one tough kite!! I've crashed mine many times - as you say, it only takes a second of inattention - and every time it ( literally) bounces back into the air! The only time I've actually broken it was when it hit a set of goalposts at full speed, mid window in a 25mph wind and shattered a leading edge! any other kite would probably have been a right off.

I'll assume you meant "WRITE" OFF.............not "RIGHT" OFF :ani_victory:

But either way, point taken ! The Delta Hawk is one tough cookie !! The word TANK, comes to mind :g: