KiteLife Forum

Flying with kites (air travel)

websherpa

Has anyone flown commercially with a kite in a carry on piece of luggage? I don't know if I will have a chance to fly it so it's not worth the check baggage fee. Kite will be broken down along the leading edge to fit in rolling luggage. Carbon frame with dynema line on plastic winders.

I do that quite often. It's never been a problem with the kites, and one or two banded together will usually fit overhead and behind other passengers' roller cases.

The only thing I would not carry on is a ground stake -- depending on the point, it might not get through security (though knitting needles do - go figure).

• Like 1

When you take a couple of kites on a plane like that, is it your carry-on or the personal item that airlines let you take in addition to your carry-on suitcase?

Last time I flew, I took kites with me in a document tube. I checked my suitcase though, so the kites were my carry-on item. I'm going on a trip again soon, but I don't want to check my bag this time, so I'm not sure if I'm taking kites (sadly mine don't fit in a carry-on suitcase).

• 3 weeks later...

I only flew with a kite once since I don't fly much. I brought my Rev travel frame and a full and vented sail in my carry on. No problem with the kite, but I almost got arrested for the Questar 3.5 inch telescope. Got yanked out of line and was told "it didn't look like a telescope". I left my stake at home and bought the biggest phillips screwdriver I could find for a stake. I gave it to the girl at the car rental place on the way home and told her to give it to one of the service guys since I couldn't take it back on the plane.

• Like 2

I only flew with a kite once since I don't fly much. I brought my Rev travel frame and a full and vented sail in my carry on. No problem with the kite, but I almost got arrested for the Questar 3.5 inch telescope. Got yanked out of line and was told "it didn't look like a telescope". I left my stake at home and bought the biggest phillips screwdriver I could find for a stake. I gave it to the girl at the car rental place on the way home and told her to give it to one of the service guys since I couldn't take it back on the plane.

Never tried flying with a scope,

Never tried flying with a scope,

I'm pretty much never away from home without a kite and some kind of optic. Usually Bino's.