KiteLife Forum

Your favorite kite bag?

spblat

I bought an HQ 55" Kite Bag and I dislike it. There are now two holes in the stiching: one due to wear and the other due to poor quality control. And I'm not really a fan of the materials or the design.

55bKVn8h.jpg

uAFrnxfh.jpg

Do you have a kite bag that makes you happy? Details and pics please!

I use a Crane Sports fishing rod bag! Big zipped pockets for line sets and bits & pieces, internal dividers and a long pocket for spare spars. I've had it for a few years now and it's wearing well. Best part was it was from a discount store and only cost £12 ($18?).

bagq.jpg

My first kite bag is very simple Cordura bag, one large compartment with a full length quality zipper & two handles. It is not long enough to carry a full sail kite with the leading edges assembled so that limits it to kites the size of an HQ Shadow or smaller. I carry SLK's, foils, & Revs in it plus any smaller kites. It is still very useful. I can load a dozen kites & accessories in it. There is no maker's name on it.

I have a Prism Speed Bag which is very well made but quite long. I carry six kites plus line sets but it is rated for four. I carry any extra accessories in a matching waist bag. Many will say the Speed Bag is too small. But I usually only fly three kites in a three or four hour session so it works well for me. I would like to have the bigger roll up bag they used to make also. Revolution markets a Rev specific bag that is on the buy list for the future also. Have not heard any real complaints about that one. My experience is quite limited as usual. Part of the fun is the search for what suits you in particular. The blown out seam is a bummer but not too tough to repair.

I have a bunch of Prism roll-ups, they are pretty durable and serve the purpose. I have a few of those HQ bags for my SLKs, and also a full length New Tech bag. The HQs are pretty cheap, but as you found out, you get what you pay for. The New Tech bag has proven very durable, and I think it was less than $50. My HQs haven't failed yet, but I don't stuff them full, and they really don't get out of the basement more than 3 or 4 times per year.

If you want the best bag out there, Lam Hoac is making half length Rev bags and full length sportkite bags. Quality comes at a price... the full length bags are $225, but I'm sure you would never have a complaint with those...

• Like 1

Posted Image

Rev bag is really good! Fits a heap of kites (9 revs, a 6 foot Rok, a full size duallie.... and others), nearly a dozen line sets so far, handles out the wazoo, parts. The list goes on. I throw my banner and pole in to roll up. Stakes in the outer pocket. Build is quality and all fits across my car boot!

Can't recommend it highly enough.

• Like 2

I'm using a Rev bag - does everything I need it for! Got 8 kites, a bunch of line sets, 2 sets of handles, and extra frames too! Only thing I added to it was a second strap, so now I can wear it as a backpack and have my hands free!

• Like 2

i break down all my LEs so i dont need a long bag. I found this on amazon under field hockey. it holds 8-10kites depending on cases(fit my zephyr hard case, 4d case,2 revs, slk and 2 more duals). the 3 ext. pockets are awesome for lines, staked,mp3... whatever. $30

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

post-7324-13748946406983_thumb.jpg

post-7324-13748950357039_thumb.jpg

For REVs... Check-out:

"Under Armour" Clean Up Bat Bag

Awesome! ...Holds up to 10 Revs (or more). Has two separate zipped compartments for Revs plus a third compartment for handles, lines, stakes, etc. Shoulder straps and additional hanging straps too.

They retail for $24.99 and come in black, black/blue, black/red, black/pink. Well worth the price!

• Like 2

I bought an HQ 55" Kite Bag and I dislike it. There are now two holes in the stiching: one due to wear and the other due to poor quality control. And I'm not really a fan of the materials or the design.

55bKVn8h.jpg

uAFrnxfh.jpg

Do you have a kite bag that makes you happy? Details and pics please!

I'd take that back to where I got it, or send that back to HQ.............No excuse for such poor quality...........

Call the guys at HQ USA, in Powell's Point, NC, [Toll free: 888-318-3600] and ask for Kevin. Tell him what happened and ask if he can help you out......he's a good guy and may be able to help!

• Like 1

My wife and I typically use one Rev bag each, and when we travel they both go inside one of these:

liquid-force-wheeled-wakeskate-bag-2013-

http://www.evo.com/wakeboard-bags/liquid-force-wheeled-wakeskate-bag.aspx

iQuad uses the same bag (x2) to manage 7 Revs and gear for each of our 6 pilots, they get thrown around (checked baggage in multiple countries), wheels are dragged through the sand nearly every event, and these keep on ticking. :D

Most of all, I like the wheels... Beats carrying dead weight.

Side note and reminder, if you're buying anything via Amazon and would like to help support KiteLife, check this out... ;)

http://www.kitelife.com/other-links/amazon/

Side note and reminder, if you're buying anything via Amazon and would like to help support KiteLife, check this out... ;)

http://www.kitelife.com/other-links/amazon/

Yep, yep - that's how I've got Amazon bookmarked now ! Used it just last week, and will probably use it this week.........

Solved! couldn't find anything that I liked. So I made my own. Requirements:

• Holds my 5 dual line kites without folding their leading edges (beach mode)
  • Collapses to 45" so it will fit in my car after folding my leading edges (travel mode)
  • Clean and simple: linesets and stakes and tails and repair stuff live in a separate messenger bag.

Collapsed to 42". Contains Widow Maker (with folded leading edges), HQ Delta Hawk, New Tech Detonator. My Prism 4D is in a separate messenger bag.

bRHRcyJh.jpg

Full length, 62". Contains Widow Maker, Prism 4D (both with leading edges fully extended), New Tech Detonator, HQ Delta Hawk, Wei Fang 48" somethingorother.

eC2DVFCh.jpg

Messenger bag with all my other stuff.

1KtftK4h.jpg

• Like 1

Yep, been making my own kite bags for years. Got several open ended bags, that hold kites like a quiver holds arrows. Just drop them into the bag, in the upright position. They've got carry straps, plus head covers for each, that snap into place for travel. There is an internal spine, inside of each bag, which runs the full length, top to bottom. This keeps the bag extended and open, even when empty. They probably wouldn't offer enough protection for airline travel, but that's not what I made them for. Whenever I go out, I just grab one bag, or two, and drop in anything that I even think I might consider flying, that day. Usually SLK's in one bag, DLK's in a second.

post-4670-0-68552700-1375198876_thumb.jp post-4670-0-21684800-1375199619_thumb.jp post-4670-0-92946900-1375199641_thumb.jp

As for the QLK's (revs), they get hauled around in a M.L.D. Big Wings duffle bag (8" x 40"), with a full length top zipper, handles, and a side pouch for line sets.

post-4670-0-03314100-1375199693_thumb.jp post-4670-0-29371000-1375199727_thumb.jp post-4670-0-97605400-1375199706_thumb.jp

Works for me.............along with my trusty little flight box !

post-4670-0-79868700-1375199911_thumb.jp post-4670-0-94122200-1375199923_thumb.jp

post-4670-0-99498100-1375200063_thumb.jp post-4670-0-46598400-1375200075_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Thanks, it's really great to see what other people are using, both new ideas & very developed ones. It's these discussions & pictures that make me anxious to see what's next in the KiteLife.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I got tired of Multiple Bags.

Prism Hard Case for 3 Revs - Hockey Bag full of Gliders - Backpack of Power Quads - Roll up of Revs - Duffle Bag of Dualies.

I would try to carry it all, and it was very awkward.

So I decided to get one Big central bag for it all....

My New Baggie.

It is a Golf Bag Travel Cover, Designed to put a Golf bag full of clubs into the main compartment.

Overall Dimensions 1350mm x 400mm x 300mm

post-7629-0-13210500-1376617315_thumb.jp

In the Lid Part - 2 Power Quads, 1 Dual Foil, Many Bits.

post-7629-0-21571700-1376617324_thumb.jp

In the Body of the Bag - Lotsa Revs, Many Gliders.

post-7629-0-74407200-1376617334_thumb.jp

There is still some sorting to be done, which I will get to.

There is plenty of room in the baggie, if I choose to throw in my Stunt Duallies.

• Like 2

I really like this Into the Wind bag. I have had one for about 6 months.

5 revs, 3 sets of handles easily. The exterior bungee web works well when used also.

I used an Under Armour yoga mat bag that worked great until I bought a Zen.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001U5PCNY/ref=pe_157280_29153510_email_1p_0_ti

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I like the ITW bags. I have 2 of the 48 inch ones for my revs and duallies, and one of the 60 inch ones for longer kites. Duallies that I don't want to break down, large single liners, etc. they work great. Eliot at Flying Smiles did a little modification to the handles (sewed them into thirds width-wise in the center) to make them more comfortable to carry.

I have the into the wind 48" bag, too. It's great. And cheap. If you get it directly from into the wind you'll get the aka discount too. Durable, interior pockets, waterproof. No brainer if you want a duffle type (as opposed to roll up or hard case)

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Thanks for the info. I've been trying to figure out how to take my kites on the plane, so I'm looking into this fishing rod tube now. To get a better sense of size, how many WidowMaker-sized kites do you reckon could fit in the tube fully collapsed? Or, if you fly Revs, how many Revs do you reckon would fit? Thanks.

Thanks for the info. I've been trying to figure out how to take my kites on the plane, so I'm looking into this fishing rod tube now. To get a better sense of size, how many WidowMaker-sized kites do you reckon could fit in the tube fully collapsed? Or, if you fly Revs, how many Revs do you reckon would fit? Thanks.

I bet you could squeeze three WM's in there fully collapsed. Just to see if I could, I once put in the Widow Maker, Collapsed Nexus, Collapsed 4-D (both in factory bags), Delta Hawk and spare rods in there. It was tight but it worked.

Edit: Plus they make a jumbo version that's 8.5" diameter instead of my 5".

Hmmm...the one you have might not be quite big enough to fit all the stuff I would want to put in there. I did notice the jumbo version, but it is also much longer (too long, i.e. oversize for airplanes). Thanks for the info though.

I recently finished making a new bag designed to hold 3-4 kites and lines just to take down to my local field. Cordura fabric was bought online and total cost was around £10 ($15?). The top flap opens up to let you use it for longer kites if you need to.

DSCF0217.JPG

DSCF0218.JPG

DSCF0216.JPG

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I think I'm going to make a bag similar to this one, or maybe a cross between this and Hadge's, maybe from an old backpack, plus attaching one of its padded shoulder straps. I need a bag that can fit 3 kites folded or assembled, can go on the plane, and is not too complicated to make.

Solved! couldn't find anything that I liked. So I made my own. Requirements:

• Holds my 5 dual line kites without folding their leading edges (beach mode)
  • Collapses to 45" so it will fit in my car after folding my leading edges (travel mode)
  • Clean and simple: linesets and stakes and tails and repair stuff live in a separate messenger bag.

Collapsed to 42". Contains Widow Maker (with folded leading edges), HQ Delta Hawk, New Tech Detonator. My Prism 4D is in a separate messenger bag.

bRHRcyJh.jpg

Full length, 62". Contains Widow Maker, Prism 4D (both with leading edges fully extended), New Tech Detonator, HQ Delta Hawk, Wei Fang 48" somethingorother.

eC2DVFCh.jpg

Messenger bag with all my other stuff.

1KtftK4h.jpg

• 1 month later...