KiteLife Forum

A couple beginner questions

David Hampton

I'm interested in flying indoors, but unsure of what equipment I would need.

Besides the line length, are there any differences in the frame or sail of an indoor Rev vs. an outdoor Rev.

I also just recently got a Swift from ITW. It's rated from 1-12mph - is it something I could use indoors? I tried it outside on a very low wind day and had trouble getting it off the ground, so I'm wondering if it was the kite or me.

Thanks!

I'm interested in flying indoors, but unsure of what equipment I would need.

Besides the line length, are there any differences in the frame or sail of an indoor Rev vs. an outdoor Rev.

I also just recently got a Swift from ITW. It's rated from 1-12mph - is it something I could use indoors? I tried it outside on a very low wind day and had trouble getting it off the ground, so I'm wondering if it was the kite or me.

Thanks!

Ask, or PM, Wayne Dowler..............he's really into the indoor stuff............. :cat_lol:

I'm anxious to hear the responses, thanks for asking this question. I have very little indoor experience but one thing I have found that helps me is to try to fly the kite as slowly as it will fly. This keeps me from overpowering the sail & gives me more time before I have to turn again. I started out running around like crazy like I did as a kid. When I slowed down & watched the kite it was much better. Add fast moves after you get more comfortable with slow ones. There are other things I could mention but I want to hear what Wayne has to say, he is hard core.

• Like 1

OK - Indoor Rev vs Outdoor Rev: Sail is a tiny bit bigger, lighter, and the rods are equal to one wrap for the Indoor! No bridle either! Handles are longer (14") and we use about 10' lines! I've seen videos of several other Revs (Zen, SUL) used indoors, but I tried the SUL and got an Indoor right away! Best tool for the job IMHO!!

Dualies: The Swift - I'm not sure about that one, might be a tad heavy for indoor! I'd suggest something like the Echo or Inak or even a 4D, maybe a used Wren! I have an Inak, but haven't really connected with it yet!!

Another thing available is one of the indoor gliders, Wala, Skate, iFlite, Plutzs, Zero-G, etc. Many can be used both in or out, depending on wind (or the lack of)!! They are active, but gentle, requiring a smooth hand to make them work best!

Got more questions - glad to answer!!

PS: just got back from flying!!! Std, 120's, Race rods!! SWEET!!

• Like 3

Is there anyone on this forum who has flown the MegaPlutz indoors? I have one and am having difficulty getting it to turn when I want it to. It glides beautifully in a straight line and climbs fast. I just haven't figured out how to initiate a turn, Launching from the floor is also more of a problem than my 61/49.

Any help and/or link to videos showing the motions i need to learn would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

I have a Mega - Plutz, but I also use a wand for line control!!! Try setting the towpoint towards the rear mark on the bridle markings and see if that doesn't help!! Where do you have the nose adjustment set?? Too much climb can interact with your turning and slow it down! Remember it's a rear towpoint, not forward, and reacts differently than say a Wala or Skate! Anticipate your turns before you're ready to do them and "set them up"!!

I've found launching easy if you put the kite on it's back and almost cast it like a flyrod! But again, it's easy for me using a wand!

Let me see if I can find a link to one of my videos, it doesn't show the Mega, but it does show some of the "touch" used! And the wand!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We (Time On The Line) had our first International Indoor Fun Fly this July... members of our group and two from Illinois flew together for the day. While most flew single line kites (Walas, WalaXL, Laimas, emongs, iFlites, large gliders, Air-Yos) one member had his dual line indoor kite there too.<br /><br />

• Like 5

Is there anyone on this forum who has flown the MegaPlutz indoors? I have one and am having difficulty getting it to turn when I want it to. It glides beautifully in a straight line and climbs fast. I just haven't figured out how to initiate a turn, Launching from the floor is also more of a problem than my 61/49.

Any help and/or link to videos showing the motions i need to learn would be greatly appreciated.

I would start by creating more angle between you and the kite! If you are straight away from the kite, try moving to one side to create that angle! Also the rear towpoint seems to be "quicker", the turns happen faster than some delta type gliders that respond to "pulling"!! Since I use a wand for all my gliders, the touch and feel are most likely different for me! That touch is hard to explain, I just "feel" the kite flowing and turn it without much thought! Ever fly fish?? The feel is very similar to that! I let the kite take line as it moves away and mend line in as it closes the distance! Constant give and take!!

• Like 2

I would start by creating more angle between you and the kite! If you are straight away from the kite, try moving to one side to create that angle! Also the rear towpoint seems to be "quicker", the turns happen faster than some delta type gliders that respond to "pulling"!! Since I use a wand for all my gliders, the touch and feel are most likely different for me! That touch is hard to explain, I just "feel" the kite flowing and turn it without much thought! Ever fly fish?? The feel is very similar to that! I let the kite take line as it moves away and mend line in as it closes the distance! Constant give and take!!

Thanks Wayne. a couple of good suggestions I am going to try.

The fly fishing analogy is appropriate, as I do use parts of a flyrod as wands!! I cut the reel seat off the butt section to make it "thru-blank" and use the tip "as is" for some smaller gliders!! Like I said, I use the wands for 2 reasons : 1 - for line management! I like having the line running through the wand, and keeping track of it that way! 2 - leverage! I like the extra bit of help the wand adds to my arm for controlling the kite! Could I fly without them? Sure, but I like using them, so why switch?

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
I am specifically interested in indoor Quad flying, and am a complete novice. I attended part of the Wildwood, NJ festival last weekend, so I learned some there. I was surprised there weren't more competitors.

I see that the last posting in this forum was August 2013. Is there a more active indoor forum somewhere else that you know of? The indoor kites even seem to have limited sources to purchase them. Perhaps there is just not a lot of interest in indoor kiting, so online forums will be scarce.

The indoor Quad kites I have found, seem to start around $230 USD. I don't think that includes the control handles. So, the price will jump closer to $250. Is that the cost of getting started?

Thank you for any advice as I hunt for indoor resources.

-Joe Dunfee

Sounds about right on cost for new, might ask around the forums for something used! Most new don't include line sets, you need a 10' x 50# or 90# set! That seems to be the common length! I use 10' x 90# myself!

John has a complete "learn to fly indoors" set of tutorials, here on Kitelife, covering setup to some advanced catch and throws! Pretty much everything you'll need to teach yourself, I know, I used them to get started! Just remember it is different than outside, no wind to pull you out of trouble! You create the wind with movement, in the proper direction, in the proper timing!! As you get better at it, everything seems to slow down for you! As a beginner, it all seems like a bit of work, and you exert yourself way too much! As you learn, the fact is, it really doesn't take anywhere near as much energy to fly!!

PS: an added bonus! Indoor really translates to your outdoor flying! The, I like to call it, "wait for it moment" you learn indoors, will slow things down in your outdoor flying!! The touch, the "feel" you develop, will certainly help your flying overall!

Forgot to add: most online stores carry them, either as "kite only" or as packages with handles! Since there is no single length of line universally preferred, that is usually left out for you to buy what works in your place of flying! Again too, asking on the forums can lead you to a better price, some already with line! Many "brick and mortar" stores will carry them too!

Got any questions, just ask!

Something to think about. Kites with multiple uses... A std. B series comes with 2 and 3 wrap frame. A std. B flies well indoors. A Race frame is almost a necessity. My personal preference is a B Pro (non pro works too) with a Race frame and a 2 wrap center LE. Plus it fly's outdoors to. The way the kite flies is also the same as it is outdoors. Having a bridel or not makes a difference. No bridel to me feels like the controls have to be overly exaggerated. Just my thought.

• Like 1

If you are just learning to fly quad-line kites it will be very difficult (not impossible, depending on your level of determination) to learn indoors. I would join others outdoors and at least get a feel for the kite and some basic control over it before moving indoors. But if you have lotttttttttttts of patience it can be learned without wind. Having someone who flies indoors to guide you would be very beneficial.

Oh, yeah -- definitely watch the videos!

To get an idea on prices out there - try these online places - The Kite Shoppe, A Wind of Change and The Kite Connection! You can see what is offered in price that way!There are others too, I just mentioned the few I have used!

Thank you all for the advice. There is a local field where I am told that people regularly fly quad type kites, so I will check them out. I have a little bit of a muscle disorder, so running around a lot will quickly tire me out. It would be good to get some practice with less effort.

On my online shopping, the single-line indoor kites seem to start around $100 and then when you go to the 4-lines, the only choice seems to be the Revolution Indoor, at around $250.

-Joe

I have a little bit of a muscle disorder, so running around a lot will quickly tire me out. It would be good to get some practice with less effort.

Joe,

If the "running around", tires you out, I would suggest outdoor Rev flying, rather than indoor. You don't really have to "run around", if you have sufficient wind, to keep the kite in the air. Please don't take this wrong, as I surely don't have anything against indoor flying, in fact, I envy those that excel, at what appears to be a true, art form.

However, when flying indoors, you create your own wind, by "running around", or at least walking. Stop moving, and eventually, down comes the kite. Personally, I do NOT fly indoors (no indoor kites - no facility to fly them in), so I make this suggestion, simply based on what I have seen on the Tutorial Videos & You-Tube, and from what I see, it does seem that indoor flying requires quite a bit of movement, or "running around".

In addition, I agree with Mark's earlier advice. With you, admittedly being a complete novice at Rev flying, I too would suggest that you at least learn how to fly outdoors, first. I know that some of my most miserable flying days, back when I was learning Revs, were those days when there was little, or no wind. This can be very a very frustrating experience, so I can't even imagine trying to learn to fly a Rev indoors, as a first attempt at learning. Again, nothing against the indoor folks, I just think that you may become disenchanted with flying, if you start your learning experience there. I look at indoor fliers, as highly advanced, and as the true artist of the sport.....not that you won't get there, one day, but maybe better suited for one, that has at least learned the basics of quad-line flight, first.

IMHO :ani_victory:

• Like 1

I realize now that I had been mis-guiding myself. I had thought that outdoor flying would tire myself faster, thinking there was a greater amount of strength needed to fight the wind. But, I realize now that a light wind may be a significant help as I learn how to work with the kite.

I should also mention that my ultimate goal is not to perform myself, but rather, to have others do the performance. I know that it is necessary to learn a performing art, before directing others to do the art form. It is also true that those who have a special love for an art form are the ones who do it best. And while I already have a love for theater and puppetry, it may be that I don't truly have a love for kiting. However I am flirting with it, and maybe a few dates will show how much love I have.

-Joe

• Like 1

I had thought that outdoor flying would tire myself faster, thinking there was a greater amount of strength needed to fight the wind. But, I realize now that a light wind may be a significant help as I learn how to work with the kite.

Yes, and even with the stronger winds (10 - 15 mph), and matched with the properly vented Rev kite, it can still be a pleasure to fly, without a lot of running around. Learn to fly, and you will enjoy............ :ani_victory:I might add, it can be quite addictive !