KiteLife Forum

E-cigs ? Vaping ?

RobB

Question

Just wondered how many of you have given up smoking for the e-cig ? Smoke on the kite field is very helpful in low wind conditions, but after 25 years of smoking, the e-cigs have gotten me off of the bad stuff and I can still tell which way the wind is blowing !

Thoughts ?

• Like 1

Germs in vape? There's germs in exhaled breath. I'm a considerate vaper,never in someone's face or personal space. I agree cigarette smoking should not be indoors. Vaping is exponentially safer for the vaper and bystanders. There are NO harmful chemicals in exhaled vape, just a lot of misinformation circulating around.

• Like 1

Yeah germs in your exhaled breath attached to micro water droplets. Your germs travel farther, and live longer out in the open, like when you sneeze.

Either way, I don't want to breathe it in as a bystander. I don't think there is enough research on it either way for anyone to convince me it's safe to breathe in someone else's "vapor" than to not at all. Once again, I think it's great for the smokers. Just keep it away from me indoors in public, unless I'm at the bar or the hookah lounge, please.

• Like 1

I never, ever vape indoors around other non-smokers/vapers... Just out of general principle.

As for deeper into the lungs... Not exactly true, unless you're using a Propylene Glycol base which is absorbed terrifyingly fast by the body - I use 100% organic vegetable glycerin, that aspect is safer than working in a burger and fries kitchen all day. :)

As for the Nicotine... Well, caffeine, psych prescriptions, fast food, alcohol, name your flavor, we're pretty much all sinning on something.

• Like 1

I have to agree with the responsible adult analogy. Same with other smokable items... I don't vape in restaurants and places with tight quarters. But say a mall ..or some place public ...airport! I would if I felt the urge

The mall and airport are places that have designated smoking areas! Thanks for the consideration anywhere else though... I'll never complain about it at your house, or anywhere outdoors, or publicly indoors in the right environment.

• Like 1

Smoking and vaping should both be done responsibly. I never smoked around nonsmokers and people that would be affected by it. The same with vaping. I have seen the arrogant vapors that I'm sure you all have seen. At the end of the day, it's all about respect. Respecting your fellow man and not being offensive with your vices.

• Like 5

Meanwhile, there are TONS of folks who assault me on a daily basis with their perfume, cologne and body sprays... In most cases, it's enough to trigger migraines and a severe mood swing... A lot of folks might not take this seriously, but to me, it's an equal offense to inconsiderate smoking. :/

If there was a precedent for it, I'd file charges with extreme prejudice.

• Like 4

Meanwhile, there are TONS of folks who assault me on a daily basis with their perfume, cologne and body sprays... In most cases, it's enough to trigger migraines and a severe mood swing... A lot of folks might not take this seriously, but to me, it's an equal offense to inconsiderate smoking. :/

If there was a precedent for it, I'd file charges with extreme prejudice.

YES!!!!

I have to agree with the responsible adult analogy. Same with other smokable items... I don't vape in restaurants and places with tight quarters. But say a mall ..or some place public ...airport! I would if I felt the urge

The mall and airport are places that have designated smoking areas! Thanks for the consideration anywhere else though... I'll never complain about it at your house, or anywhere outdoors, or publicly indoors in the right environment.

...but I am not smoking. I am vaping. Some airports do not. You must exit completely and re enter..customs...etc.etc.

I sat inside Tampa International recently and vaped away next to a smoking area..inside. Granted...Hoards of people were not in my area or in my vicinity what so ever. But there are no laws against it and I recieved no complaints or reprimands.

Common sense type issue. That is hard to find sometimes...I admit.

• Like 3

There is plenty of research which says that what Vapers exhale is no threat to bystanders. I feel comfortable vaping around my grandchildren.

If you are convinced that vaping is harmful to the vaper or to others, you may be parroting propaganda spread by Big Tobacco or Big Pharma. Both of those groups have billions of dollars to lose if people quit smoking, or quit trying useless cessation materials like patches, gums and candies.

Get it straight - vaping is not harmful to others, anymore than wearing a nicotine patch or chewing nicotine gum. The only demonstrable difference is that vaping actually helps people quit smoking whereas the things provided by Big Pharma have a very poor track record (although they do make a lot of money for Big Pharma).

Every time you pass on scare material, you are helping the money-suckers, and helping them get laws passed which will prevent former smokers from getting access to materials that will help them quit smoking.

• Like 2

I quit smoking over 40 years ago, by just stopping, from 2 1/2 packs a day. All my friends that smoked, all passed away years ago.No interest in anything with nicotine in it, which is the most addictive drug in the world, in my opinion. Not only that nicotine, can cause heart arrhythmia problems that are exposed to it.

New research suggests that nicotine by itself is about as addictive as caffeine (which is addictive to some extent). It seems that there are some other alkaloids in cigarette smoke which makes the nicotine much more addictive, and much harder to quit. You might consider substituting 'tobacco smoke" or just "tobacco" for 'nicotine'. It is certainly a fact that people living where they can barely grow enough food to eat will still expend time and effort to plant and cultivate tobacco.

If you are able to quit "cold turkey" and want to quit using nicotine in any form, you should do so. For a great many people, this does not seem to be an option. For the rest of us, vaping seems to satisfy the craving for tobacco for long enough to get over the addiction to tobacco, and then (once the addiction to smoking has been beaten) be able to reduce or even completely quit using nicotine by vaping lower and lower levels over time.

Nicotine has its own negative side effects (arrhythmia among them) but with the growing amount of data available of people exposed to nicotine without those alkaloids plus the other 4000 compounds found in tobacco smoke, some of the many positive effects of nicotine are coming to light. I monitor for the negative effects of nicotine (HDL/LDL imbalance* in my case) and enjoy the positive effects (mental concentration, reduced Alzheimer's risk, mood alteration among them).

===

* Nicotine causes small amounts of damage to capillary walls and uses up some "good" cholesterol to repair them; moderate HDL/LDL imbalance can be managed with diet, exercise, and safe, inexpensive medication.