KiteLife Forum

E-cigs ? Vaping ?

RobB

Question

Just wondered how many of you have given up smoking for the e-cig ? Smoke on the kite field is very helpful in low wind conditions, but after 25 years of smoking, the e-cigs have gotten me off of the bad stuff and I can still tell which way the wind is blowing !

Thoughts ?

• Like 1

New research suggests that nicotine by itself is about as addictive as caffeine (which is addictive to some extent). It seems that there are some other alkaloids in cigarette smoke which makes the nicotine much more addictive, and much harder to quit. You might consider substituting 'tobacco smoke" or just "tobacco" for 'nicotine'. It is certainly a fact that people living where they can barely grow enough food to eat will still expend time and effort to plant and cultivate tobacco.

If you are able to quit "cold turkey" and want to quit using nicotine in any form, you should do so. For a great many people, this does not seem to be an option. For the rest of us, vaping seems to satisfy the craving for tobacco for long enough to get over the addiction to tobacco, and then (once the addiction to smoking has been beaten) be able to reduce or even completely quit using nicotine by vaping lower and lower levels over time.

Nicotine has its own negative side effects (arrhythmia among them) but with the growing amount of data available of people exposed to nicotine without those alkaloids plus the other 4000 compounds found in tobacco smoke, some of the many positive effects of nicotine are coming to light. I monitor for the negative effects of nicotine (HDL/LDL imbalance* in my case) and enjoy the positive effects (mental concentration, reduced Alzheimer's risk, mood alteration among them).

===

* Nicotine causes small amounts of damage to capillary walls and uses up some "good" cholesterol to repair them; moderate HDL/LDL imbalance can be managed with diet, exercise, and safe, inexpensive medication.

I know a couple of people that have been chewing Nicorette Gum, one for over 15 years, and can't get off it. I have known people that have gotten off a heroin addiction , and alcohol, but they could never quit smoking. http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/tobacco-addiction/nicotine-addictive

Nicotine constricts blood vessels. I have herniated disks in my back and have had more than one Dr tell me as nicotine adds to my pain levels.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Just look at the skin of a heavy smoker, and you can see what effect nicotine has.

• Like 1

Coming up on three years without smoking. At the rate i was spending money when I quit smoking, I've saved well over $35,000 (but spent maybe $3000 on vaping equipment and materials). That's a lot of money available for kites and kite travel. I feel better; I can taste food; I smell better - in both senses: I can smell the world around me, and I don't smell like an ashtray anymore.

I like my nicotine. It helps me concentrate, calms me, and it may be helping stave off or delay Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. I don't plan to give it up. One thing: if I can't vape for a few hours, the discomfort is nothing like the effect of being separated from cigarettes. I want to vape, but there is nothing like the disabling craving back when I smoked.

• Like 3

I was almost a 3 pack a day smoker and Nov 13th will be 3 years for me. I don't know what you were smoking but I've only saved a little over 12,000 dollars. And the way I vape now, it can cost more than cigs at times. Sub ohming and buying new gear, along with increased juice usages. post-6949-14097574283914_thumb.jpg

Jason ImaWhoDatCrazyCajun Wheeler

Just a few days away from 2 years of not smoking. At $11 a pack, I've saved a little over $8300. I've probably spent between $500-$1000 on vaping products, though. I don't get real cranky when I can't vape, unlike with cigarettes.

• Like 1

Ordered a new box mod the other day, IPV2. It's a 50 watt regulated box. The vape shop I work for is getting in some DNA 30's later this week as well. That's a 30 watt regulated box mod. Both are capable of going sub ohm. I really enjoy that more than regular vaping. You build your own coils for literally a penny a piece. And the flavor is really intense with a huge vapor production. But, you go through a ton of juice also. I know vaping saved my life. I enjoyed smoking and now vaping even more so. Sometimes I spend more on vape gear than I did on smoking, but in the long run, it's worth it. I'm just curious as to what the govt is going to do with the new regulations about to come out. What's sad is big tobacco is behind the push for tighter regulations. They will be pushing a lot if not most mom and pop ecig shops out of business. All the major tobacco companies have their own ecigs now. And they can afford to pay the costs to get their liquids in compliance. I agree with tighter regulations regarding the eliquid, a lot of shops make their own, and you really don't know if they use sanitary conditions.

Jason ImaWhoDatCrazyCajun Wheeler

• Like 1

Just running one coil right now, not into super huge clouds... But, I did try rigging the second cool a few minutes ago as an experiment and didn't have any luck getting the resistance where it should be, stuck at .6 and I couldn't figure out why.

Got some more schooling to do at the local shop I guess. :)

I have been vaporizing teas, among other things, with the Magic Flight Launch Box. I have had it for over a year and is the perfect traveling kit if you want to vaporize fresh herbs instead of oils. If anyone has interest in the product feel free to PM me. I know a lot about the kit. Here is a little commercial about it.

• Like 2