KiteLife Forum

new kite feeling

Cyphert

So i have been searching and searching for the right kite. a few months now. no rush as i have a few that i am very happy with! i have been flying a UL and standard Ocius all summer. but its to fast for me. its a great trick kite but to fast and squirely for me i didnt have time to fix over steer and under steer. so i needed a slower kite. and i needed a kite that only did what i told it to do. I finally found it this weekend. A Kymera! wasnt first on my list. i was looking at lots of kites much higher in price but i never even tried one. until this week. i flew Johns for a while and it was great!! he had other kites that i tried as well they were all great. but i needed one that fit me. Its loud and fast when you tell it to be and not when you dont. turns great, goes straight no over or under steer just does what you want and nothing you dont. thats really what i needed something that would just do what i want. Did i find the perfect kite? i dont think that exist but i did find the perfect kite for me so im happy now. i havent felt this feeling since my first flexi foil.

so my question for you is:

what kite do you love? i want all the juicy details.

• Like 3

I really like most of my kites, I think it would be easier to list the ones that I didn't like !

Anyone who flies dual lines should have a Kymera in the bag. Like you said, it can do anything pretty well. I keep a roll-up bag in my car at all times... the Kymera, a few from SkySport Designs, a couple from SkyBurner, and 3 Revs are inside. There's also a Plutz and a 333 for when I'm feeling silly. The rest of my kites stay home most of the time, and come out maybe once or twice a year.

• Like 2

this weekend John and i had a huge mess of kites on the beach. it was nice playing with all the different kites and lines even different handles. but if i had to take just one kite and line set with me i would know just what i would take. not that i would ever want just one kite but if i did the kymera is my new best friend.

• Like 1

Matt, you're absolutely right... the Kymera would make a great 'desert island' kite. It has an excellent wind range, can do all the tricks, and is pretty tough. It could keep me happy for a long time. If only there was an UL version... (hint...)

• Like 1

Converting a dual line kite from STD to SUL can be a bit tricky, usually takes some actual conversion (bridle, specs) to make it work, doable though!

Main issue, sadly, is just that there isn't much of a market for an SUL Kymera - makes it tough to look as mass production. :(

I'd make something in-house, but I just don't have the time, space or mental bandwidth at this point.

Sorry guys, but I am feeling the love! :)

• Like 2

Changing the sticks for lighter ones might be worth a try, but the kite would loose some of it's pop. Not to mention, it would be more fragile, and possibly a hazard to itself (sail puncture)

As it is, with the large nose-billow in mine, it can fly in pretty low winds for a small standard. Maybe some venting would be more useful ? :ani_idea:

I would get a Sul and vtd in a heart beat but I think I would use a Sul or ur more as that's my usual reason I don't fly. To high a wind I start playing with foils. I may get a new Kymera restick it with some fancy sticks and make (I mean ask) JB to play with the bridle to make it as close to his like and feel as possible. Then ill let you all know what I did. Then ill have replacement spars for my std Kymera and a UL Kymera out of the deal. Or a very expensive pile of kite parts.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would use 3pt Skyshark rods, that way it's a little lighter but still tough. 2 pt might work, but they are a little fragile. I'm sure if you get all the weights out of the kite and use 3 pt sticks, it will fly in ~2mph wind. Then it's just about the tuning...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well if you have a Wm you really have the last kite you will ever need. But we are kite people and don't have what we need we have what we want! The kymer is a different beast loud and demands attention in the sky. Love the kymera!

• Like 2