KiteLife Forum

Phoenix, AZ?

godric

One of our crazier family members has decided to hold a family reunion in Phoenix, in the summer. Just harassing that relative should probably be sufficient amusement for all of us, but we've decided to take things to the next level and see if there's a way to get in a bit of flying while we're there.

A quick Web search reveals the existence of the Route 66 Kite Club in Phoenix, which unfortunately appears to be in hibernation (well, maybe aestivation would be more accurate :wub: ) at the moment. Their Website is still up and running, though. They list several fields at http://www.tmsquared.com/R66KC_Kite_Fields.htm -- anybody have any up-to-date comments on any of them? And do they tend to have wind in the mornings during the summer? I'd love to fly some of those mid- to late-summer monsoon winds, but not necessarily in the heat of a midsummer day in the Valley of the Sun!

While I'm thinking of it, does anybody have any tips and tricks for transporting kites on planes these days? If I put them all in the big Prism Speed Bag and just cinch it up tight, will they make it there, or should I put some additional stiffeners into the bag to keep the baggage handlers from snapping the leading edges? Alternatively, should I just break everything down to the smallest possible package and try to stuff it all into a suitcase?

Fair skies, good winds --

-- Paul

Don't forget to ask them to put Fragile stickers on at the check in counter. And remember it will be int he odd size p/u claim not with your suitcases.

Some of the Route 66 members are out there, doing a lot of flying and traveling. J.J. comes to mind... Anyone know how to get a hold of them?

BB

Penny

I am (9 months out of the year) proud to say I live in Phoenix!

Actually Chandler (A suburb).

The Route 66 club is semi-active as a group of flyers but the website is idle due to the founders other interests.

I welcome you to the fine city! Enjoy a baseball game in air conditioned comfort of Bank One Ballpark, Soak yourself in one of our many water parks.

Drive north for a day in mystical Sedona... or south to Karchner caverns (The most pristine cave in the world.

BUT!!!! DO NOT BRING YOUR KITES!!!

The winds come up around mid-afternoon and that saying "It's a dry heat?"

Well, it feels like a convection oven out on the field.

We're in 108deg days now and the only outdoor events are water related.

If you insist in bringing a kite or 10, send me an email and I'll point you in the direction of a few good fields.

Flying in Phoenix in the summer... Now THATS gutsy!

Michael

Thanks, Michael, for the onsite info -- I was hoping for some smooth, soft, early-morning breezes while it's still (at least relatively) cool, which I've experienced in parts of the Southwest, but it sounds like that won't be happening at this season in the Valley of the Sun.

I reckon I'll take advantage of the opportunity to visit some friends in air-conditioned spaces, unless it looks like y'all are about to be stricken with an Arctic spell that drives the temperatures down into the 90's ;)

-- Paul