KiteLife Forum

A New Angle of Perspective

mystainedskin

After last Saturdays brief visit to a fun fly. I have decided to go ahead and take the plunge and and get a lifter and start a single line set up to fly and put some eye candy up In the air.

Any recommendations for a mid level starter? I like the big stuff, but a line full of small stuff is good too! Plus, it will probably be good to learn with. Thanks in advance for any feedback ;)

No real experience, but I've been considering a big "Double French Military", or a large "Double Delta Conyne"........... Don't know how big you are talking, but both are suppose to haul a ton. Of course, there's always a big "sled", which I understand is a super lifter, also :cat_biggrin:

Check http://www.gombergkites.com/stick.html

• Like 1

Bought my first big 3 meter delta this summer. Can't wait to go to the beach & put her up with a big tube tail I have. We've been too busy playing with the old street rods to get to the beach but we were just speaking of flying kites, racing slot cars & cruising the boulevard. I'll be watching this topic for inspiration. Wow, gotta love the KiteLife.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have several mid size lifters and have found for the money and size, the sled seems to be the best lifter. However I have a delta, parafoil and a sled to lift items for me. They all work great and it mostly depends on what I want the lifter to look like. Some times I just feel like a sled, sometimes I dont. and use the foil! Sometimes wind conditions will help one kite fly just a little better then another, so it is nice to have a little selection.

• Like 1

I need to order mine...have some friends I met at the last local fly coming up the end of this month for a day of beach play. I would like to have something by then. They will fill the sky with theirs! You name it...they got it when it comes to lifers and laundry.... And plan on lots of video and pics. A kite show like that doesn't ever happen here locally.Atleast will have one to play and k.a.p. with.... Along with my Revs and Walas of course.

I put up the new Gomberg French Military, yesterday afternoon, late. It went right up, with no problems, hauling a five foot turbine spinner, in place of the standard tail. That kite really flies high (close to straight overhead). Flew it in near maximum winds (5 - 20 mph) and it did great. It did get a little "squirrel-ie", at one time, when the wind peaked a little above 20 mph, but it really wasn't a problem........looks great in the sky............ :cat_shifty:

Now, if I can get a little wind today, without a storm, I might try to get the Gomberg Super Sled, off and running.......... :cat_sick:

• Like 2

NOT ! The winds were way too strong for the Gomberg Super Sled today (first time, anyway), so up went the French Military again............This is really a cool kite. :cat_luv:

See it up there ?

500 ft +

post-4670-0-92222800-1378082730_thumb.jp

Ok...............so these are better shots, right...........?

post-4670-0-80263900-1378082781_thumb.jp post-4670-0-78988200-1378127021_thumb.jp post-4670-0-60089200-1378127065_thumb.jp post-4670-0-81734900-1378127080_thumb.jp

Maybe tomorrow on the Super Sled ?

• Like 3

Looks like things are just not working out here, for getting the "Super Sled" up and running. First of all this morning, hardly any wind at all. Had to fight, just to get the "French Military" into the sky. Finally got it up, and all of a sudden, the sky darkens, the temperature dropped about 20 degrees, the wind picked up (way up), changed directions nearly 180 degrees (SW to NNE) - Oh, this can't be good! Ended up leaving it up about 300 feet, tethered to a sand anchor on the beach (due to an obvious, and fast approaching storm). Time to head in for cover. So, from the cover of the porch, we watched it bob and weave for about 30 minutes, dodging wall to wall lightening bolts, nearly doing the death dive (several times) into the ocean, but somehow, it survived through it all (a real trooper).. :cat_shocked:

post-4670-0-16569500-1378244664_thumb.jp

Ok, Stay turned.............."Big Yellow" (the Super Sled), is going up tomorrow, one way or the other............ :cat_lol:

And by the way, whose topic was this anyway? I didn't mean to hi-jack it.

Oh, it's "mystaynedskin's" :ani_victory: (sorry)

Ok, gotta go cook some "shrimps" (just kidding, I know it's singular)

• Like 1

Np at all. Did somemore kap attempts today with the camera in line instead of on the kite, but alas, now wind and I got tired of running. I wish you luck on the next attempt. The wind forecast shows a shift later today with a more from the south than west here,maybe it will move northward.;)

Np at all. Did somemore kap attempts today with the camera in line instead of on the kite, but alas, now wind and I got tired of running. I wish you luck on the next attempt. The wind forecast shows a shift later today with a more from the south than west here,maybe it will move northward. ;)

Tomorrow, we are supposed to be sunny, 78-79 degrees, winds out of the NE 10-15............ :) Sounds like a plan to me !

• Like 1

Hey Nick,

Congratulations on getting that Super Sled up & running... just a word of caution, using that hoop spool under tension is a recipe for disaster. Even though they say 'unbreakable' on them, they aren't actually strong enough to carry the load of a big kite like that. I use a hefty piece of metal (sometimes my shovel handle) to cleat the kite off to the anchor. Also, I use a hefty carabiner, I can't tell if you had a big one in there or not.

I love to see what you guys have been doing with your SLKs and KAP. Really gets me in the mood to get mine in the air. They were in my car last weekend, but the wind wasn't with me. Oh, well, maybe next weekend !

Best,

~Rob.

I have seen some pics of the end results.... I meant to comment and slipped my mind. Being a rookie...could you not use a couple of wraps on the hook with one wrap back around the line? This is how I hooked my camera online and seemed to be fairly easy to dwal with and held strong.... I know the kite will be producing much more tension.

I saw a video not to long ago on good ways to tie off large Kites..think it was Premier.

By the way Rob, did those lines ever make it?

Yep, yep..........thanks guys ! Actually, as I was taking those pictures, I thought about that very thing, and I decided that the plastic hoop (as strong as it seemed), probably wasn't such a good idea, especially on this "somewhat", large kite. At the time, the wind wasn't doing but about 10 mph, so it wasn't pulling too awful hard, but still, it did appear to be a "recipe for disaster"....... Maybe okay on some of the smaller deltas, etc, but not here!

I made some changes, immediately after I took those pictures. You can actually see it in the 3rd from last picture, but here's a better look at my improved set-up. Carabiner is rated at 18kN, so I'm thinking that will take care of it............I don't know that anything else in the chain, has that kind of strength, so something else will probably go, before the carabiner........... :cat_lol:

post-4670-0-67782500-1378387163_thumb.jp post-4670-0-18168800-1378387201_thumb.jp

The webbed strap should be good for the load, I use those to tie off to heavy beach debris when my sand anchor is allready occupied by another kite. I did notice the other picture, but couldn't tell if that Carabiner was a heavy one or not. I double them up if I'm worried about the pull. Your kite looks pretty big, and even in 10mph winds, I would imagine that the pull could become dangerous.

My approach is usually that of too much caution, but even still, I've gotten myself into a few situations where the outcome could've been disasterous. That's why you might think I'm a little over the top with caution. I did have the opportunity to get yanked around by a REALLY big kite at Wildwood this year, helping one of the handlers get the kite out of unstable winds. Absolutely NUTS... I'm sticking to my small(ish) kites !

• Like 1

Well, the kite itself, is basically the size of a sheet of plywood, which is 4' x 8', but the kite is a little bigger. It's 5' x 8', and the pennant tail is 25 feet long, so all together, there's right much up there, for me, anyway! And yes, at 10 mph, it's still a handful, but just not so much, as I expected. Tomorrow, may be another story. We are supposed to have 15 to 25 mph winds, out of the NE. I suppose I'll get to check it out for sure then............. As for today, having a hard time finding 3+ mph........... :ani_wallbash: (may be Wala time)

• Like 2