KiteLife Forum

Newbe from Florence Or

RickW

Hi all

Ive had my 1.5 in the air about five times and love it I've had a Prism for several years but having moved to the oregon coast three months ago I started flying every week. needing spars I went to Newport and found The Kite Company what a great family of flyers.

I then bought my 1.5 and am able to break (before) hiting the ground am working on holding and rotating, sliding sideways and doing tip stands.

if anyone has sugestions on exercizes that will help me gain control I would be gratefull.

Thanks

Rick ;)

Ps the winds have been 3-20 mph I like them 8-15.

Heyyyyy there, Welcome!!!

Your in good company there in Florence. Rick Brown is also there. One of the two best cody kite builders in the world... (you so owe me for that Rick!)

Look him up. He is also on the Associated Oregon kiters site. aok.com

I am also a quad beginner. I fly duals and get alot of grief from these guys about my stack of trilbys... lol all in fun. You have come to the right place. Great People, great friends... its an honor to have you here

hugs ,

mousie

;) I was told by a little blonde friend that I need to come here and say hello, knowing the kind of girl she is I walked in here with my head low just in case! WOW, another kite flier in Florence and he goes by the name Rick, what a great choice for a name. I am not going to be much help when it comes to flying a Rev (I heard that Penny!) but I would love to hit the beach with you sometime or come by and visit me at St. Vincent DePaul sometime :censored: Okay, I have now made my one and only visit to Quads, please dont tell anyone I was here :innocent:

• 2 weeks later...

:censored: I saw you Rick! :innocent: heheehe

Quad exercise?

!) Practice your turns up high.

2) Practice your reverse down low.

Most spars are broken by trying to turn the kite to close to the ground, and the tip hits at an angle...end into the ground. Spars will last for almost ever if you crash them straight down rather then on an end.

We'll start with a large Circle

Full Wind Window, making large circles as an example here are just a few ways to make a large circle.

Forward : Leading: Edge going first.

Reverse : Back Tips leading the way.

Slide Circle : Pulling on just one handle to turn it.The leading edge facing the ouside throughout the making of the large circle.

Inverted Slide Circle : Leading edge facing the inside of the circle. Using a lot of thumb pressure to keep the reverse thoughout the circle.

The secret to reverse circles is a change in the flying at about 45% of the circle.

Forward Slide Circle : Facing 12:00 Kite stays stationary facing 12:00 as it completes the large circle.

Reverse slide Circle 6 O'Clock Facing 6:00 The kite stays stationary facing 6:00 in a complete circles.

The reason I call these slide circles is due to the direction the kite is facing you actually physically slide the kite around to where you want it. Sometimes this is labor intense. :devil: Remember it's whatever it takes.

Also, when I say push down with thumb, I don't mean straight up and down... that does not change the plane or tilt of the kite. Sometimes people push it like it's a remote. I have to tell people there's not a magic button there. :lol: lol but I digress. Use your wrist , which makes the bottom handle pull and tighten that bottom line.

Brakes.. stopping and holding it still. Pushing on your thumbs to find the neutral spot where it's not traveling forward or to much pressure making it go backwards. Practice holding the kite on spot. Find a cloud. :devil:

Speed control... keeping enough pressure on your thumbs to control how much forward you give it. Try actually pushing the kite fast forward and then putting pressure on your thumbs to slow it down see how fast & slow you can make it go.

Reverse. This is where I tell people reverse kiteflying is the exception to the rule. Practice your reverse down low. Start your launch facing 6:00.

Power Launch:

1 lines are tight.. step back if you have to.

2 arms are long. Don't have your elbows at your sides. Step back and extend your arms this gives you twice as much vertical motion then when your elbows are bent.

For a reverse launch.. Put your thumbs close to gether. Push your thumbs down stepping back at the same time to make the launch a breeze. :lol: Pull lightly on your left handle and the kite will go Right, Pull back lightly on your right handle and the kite will go left. It's magic! No.. it's reverse.

Practice going up high in the sky and walking forward. That will come in handy in many ways.

Snap Turns.. pushing hard on a handle to turn it quickly.

Slow turns.... how long does it take you to do a 360?

1/4 & 1/8's on spots.. So.... there's a little on a few ways to practice a cirlce with a Revolution Kite.

I recommend practicing every chance you get. lol

I think my next article should be;

NightFlying #101 How to put a Rev. together in the dark, when you can't see anyways. B) I've got that down too. :lol:

Well, I got to vent.. now I need to go pack and get a little fly in before Brookings this weekend... woo hooo!!!!!! Good Flying.

Oh, would you like to learn how to walk it? There's all kinds of ways.. and it's pretty darn easy.. at least 30 % of it is.

I better go. ;) ~ We'll be back~

Now Ricky Poo... . where are you?

Best Breezes

Penny

www.pennyrev.com

Wing tip turns. Hold one thumb down hard enough to hold the wingtip still and let the wing keep moving forward.

Reverse wing tip turns. Hold one thumb down enough to hold the wing tip still and push harder to reverse the other wing in a reverse circle.

Reverse circles are considered more advanced.

Practice basic straight up, straight down and stop!

:lol: Man, your way of kite flying sounds like too much work for me, I love to watch you but picture me laying against a sand dune with a kite line in one hand attached to a Cody and the other hand holding a cold beverage! My kite is in the sky, I am watching PennyWORK, and I am relaxing! Heck, I might even be reading the newest Harry Potter book while watching Penny from the corner of my eye ... nope .... Penny requires all my attention :blushing: Has everone visited www.pennyrev.com yet? And you just thought I would keep your secret didnt you Penny? :)

John, I only have two buttons on the right hand side of each of my post. I know edit use to be there. But it's not. :)

Carl.... how are we gonna find a way for you to save me from babbling on the forum?

Rick... you lazy cody flyer. Obviously we need to see you making larger Cody's and so some sky surfing. :lol: Your just way to comfortable on the beach.

Now, who's got a secret they can share about Rick? :blushing:

BB

Penny

Guest RickWinks

Hi all

Thanks for the great post Penny, alot of moves that will help me learn, and not break spars. whitch I seem to do with my Prizm But that is another Form.

If you want somthing sand blasted take it to the beach its not been good for quads with my limited experince.

Thanks

Rick

Ps now if I can just keep peps from standing in my flight window waiting for me to fly??????? :blushing:

Woo.. yes secrets? Mousie... ahh. you might have one?

John... Report and quote are the only two blue buttons on the right hand side.

Brookings was spectacular. So much fun.

We just got in the door and got to run to bed.

Steve, nice meeting you at Brookings.

Amy, email me.

Rick.... watch out... :blushing:

Now it's time to start looking for 2 routines for next year. Anyone have any ideas?

BB

Penny

I have to catch up on the kite post later. Yup, vented Rev II weather in Lincoln City today. I would have loved to have stopped and flown.

Want to know some ways to practice a square? lol later.

It was so wonderful to see everyone at Brookings. It's going to be a highlited memory for a while here.

BB

Penny

:unsure: I am sorry but I think you are all forgetting one very important fact here! Penny is a female, it is not that her edit button is not there it is just that being a female she is just too dizzy to see it! :wacko: Now, remembering my days in the military, you folks should understand that I am not now retreating, I am doing a tactical advance to the rear .... lowering the Codys so that no one knows where I am .... Duck ..... that was a close one :(

Hey Rick.. aren't those cody's man lifters so we can get a better shot off at you?

Amy, all I've got with in reach is a marshmellow gun. I'll bring it to WSIKF. Who can we count on to bring a potato gun? :unsure: Monkey boy.... your from Canada.. find Gordy... (He's the bald buggier with the propeller stuck to his head... kinda hard to miss) Secure his potato gun! We'll meet you at the rendevous point.. (That's under neath the silver arches)... after the beer garden closes.... Now is that a plan or what? :(

BB

Penny

Hey Rick.. aren't those cody's man lifters so we can get a better shot off at you?

Amy, all I've got with in reach is a marshmellow gun. I'll bring it to WSIKF. Who can we count on to bring a potato gun? :unsure: Monkey boy.... your from Canada.. find Gordy... (He's the bald buggier with the propeller stuck to his head... kinda hard to miss) Secure his potato gun! We'll meet you at the rendevous point.. (That's under neath the silver arches)... after the beer garden closes.... Now is that a plan or what? :(

BB

Penny

Gordy is EASY to find usually

I'll be prepared...