KiteLife Forum

Short Line Flying on walkways/streets/pathways

Marshall Placid

Missed most of this thread as it developed but I will add that I have learned more about how a kite, any kite, reacts to inputs on short lines than I did in any amount of time on long lines. It may be the quickness or the more direct connection but it is also that I can see the kite so much better. I don't think I would have ever even tried short lines if I had not had some guidance from the KiteLife Masters. Thank you! I am still the newbie but now it feels better....

• Like 4

Missed most of this thread as it developed but I will add that I have learned more about how a kite, any kite, reacts to inputs on short lines than I did in any amount of time on long lines. It may be the quickness or the more direct connection but it is also that I can see the kite so much better. I don't think I would have ever even tried short lines if I had not had some guidance from the KiteLife Masters. Thank you! I am still the newbie but now it feels better....

I agree. I fly mostly on 50' lines, due in part to lousy wind. I would say that 75% of my flying I'm using my full sail SLE on 50' with race rods and I'm backing up almost constantly. If your wind is similar, one of the best "tricks" you can learn is what I call the "GRG"...The Ground Recovery Glide. Fly the kite to the top of the window, flip it like you're going into an inverted hoover, give it a tap on the brakes and give to the kite. Once you get the hang of it you can put the kite into a glide away from you and follow it to make up ground. Get it perfect and you can glide 100-150" even on 50' lines, though you may have to run a bit! If the wind is really light I'll fly for a minute or so while backing up at a good pace, then do the GRG 2 or 3 times to get back to my start point and do it all over again.Also, with 50' lines, if I'm feeling energetic I may even throw in a 360 to make up ground, too.

• Like 2

One way to test your GRG is to place a stake at your starting point and a stake at where you want to end going back! When you reach that rear stake, use the GRG and see how close you can come to getting back to that starting spot!! After awhile you won't need the stakes to remind you!! :ani_idea:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Per your previously shared tips and instruction I have been whumping as time permits. Far from being a proficient whumper, but seeing some progress. Just when I’m feeling a bit of whumpiness, I find out about over sheeting… so back to the beach this weekend, because now I suspect I’m an over sheeter, with a limited whump ….and did not realize it…. That realization sure takes the whumpy out of your sail. Thanks for the continuing education.

I love everything about this post!!! Haha! (Except for your new suspicion of being an over sheeter, with limited whump, of course.)

• Like 1